Menu

The comma- usage for city/state and month/day/year in sentences

Our grammar program teaches to add a comma after a city/state and month/day/year combo mid-sentence regardless of a comma needing to be in the place for a different rule. This is new to me! I feel cheated out of a proper punctuation education.

Our grammar book would teach this:

Incorrect: June 1, 2000 is my birthday.

Correct: June 1, 2000, is my birthday

Incorrect: The weather in Chicago, Illinois is often windy.

Correct: The weather in Chicago, Illinois, is often windy.

I consulted 2 retired school teachers on this. They taught elementary-middle school grades. They say our grammar book is incorrect. According to them, a comma is only needed after a complete date or city/state combo if a comma would be placed there for another reason (such as occurring before a conjunction or after a prepositional phrase.). I casually asked a homeschool senior what she was taught. She was taught the same as the retired teachers. I asked which grammar program she used, but she does not remember which program taught her the rules for commas,

Google search tells me the grammar book is correct, but my above incorrect examples are common enough that the correct way appears incorrect to most people.

Are there conflicting sources about this? Is the rule outdated? Is it common knowledge among most upper level instructors?

ETA: Edited several times for grammatical errors, lol. I am certain there are still errors. 😉

Edited by TX native

Your grammar book, every grammar book that I own, and all my years of schooling agree. :) This is the first time I have ever heard that a comma after the state or year mid-sentence is incorrect. Indeed, every teacher I had from elementary through high school would likely have a stroke upon hearing this bit of "blasphemy." Now, it IS true that a comma is not used between the state and the ZIP code in an address, but that is not the question you asked. I am interested to hear what others have to say!

• Like 3

Our grammar program teaches to add a comma after a city/state and month/day/year combo mid-sentence regardless of a common needing to be in the place for a different rule. This is new to me! I feel cheated out of a proper punctuation education.

Our grammar book would teach this:

Incorrect: June 1, 2000 is my birthday.

Correct: June 1, 2000, is my birthday

Incorrect: The weather in Chicago, Illinois is often windy.

Correct: The weather in Chicago, Illinois, is often windy.

I consulted 2 retired school teachers on this. They taught elementary-middle school grades. They say our grammar book is incorrect. According to them, a comma is only needed after a complete date or city/state combo if a comma would be placed there for another reason (such as occurring before a conjunction or after a prepositional phrase.). I casually asked a homeschool senior what she was taught. She was taught the same as the retired teachers. I asked which grammar program she used, but she does not remember which program taught her the rules for commas,

Google search tells me the grammar book is correct, but my above incorrect examples are common enough that the correct way appears incorrect to most people.

Are there conflicting sources about this? Is the rule outdated? Is it common knowledge among most upper level instructors?

Yeah, you were cheated. It is common usage now to drop that second comma, but that's just wrong. If you do that, instead of an appositive, you have a comma splice--two sentences joined with a comma:

The weather in Chicago.

Illinois is often windy.

See?

• Like 3