Menu

Should I switch to Math U See?

mom of 2 boys

My son is 5 and working his way through Singapore Essential Math. Book A went just fine, Book B was going fine, so I ordered Primary 1A so that we could just move right into it when the time came. Well, I also ordered the 100 pack of Unifix Cubes, and that messed everything up with Singapore. He LOVES these counting blocks and wants to use them for everything. He was nearly in tears when Singapore wanted him to use a picture of counting blocks (color to add, cross off to subtract.) and I've been having to use them as an incentive to do other kinds of problems (IE: use the numberline for 2/3 of the problems and I'll "let" you use the blocks for the other 1/3 as a reward.) 

I had considered MUS before we even started Singapore, but I reasoned that since he did not like c-rods at all, he probably wasn't a counting blocks kind of kid. Then he really took to the abacus for awhile, so I thought for sure that he wasn't into counting blocks, but then he got his hands on these unfix cubes, and boy was I wrong. It turns out he just doesn't like c-rods. And the way that he uses them just looks so much like what I'm seeing in the MUS demo videos. Like he was born to use counting blocks. 

So now I'm re-thinking Singapore, and if I'm going to switch, I'd like to do it sooner than later. Like, maybe after I finish up Essential B. Of course, that leaves me with Primary 1A which he hasn't touched. Could I return that? I ordered it from Christianbook.com. 

Also, there is another factor - I am not a math person. At all. I was planning to have my husband take over once we reached the point where I could no longer teach it to him, but I had my husband help my son with a few of his math pages recently and it turns out that he's really not very good at teaching. He can DO math, but he is just SO not a teacher and that was very apparent. So that plan is just not going to work. If I did switch to MUS, I know that they at least have videos of the guy teaching it, so that could potentially solve that problem, or at least help.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Does it sound like he might do better with Math U see? Could this be a better fit for us? Is it better to jump ship on Singapore early on, or wait and see if it gets better? Would I skip the MUS primer or would we have to start at the beginning? Could I get the manipulative set used somehow? (sorry about all the questions!) 

Thank you!

Well you COULD switch of course, but you could also just let him use the blocks with Singapore.  Instead of having him write everything or use what's on the pictures, there is no reason you couldn't do some of it out loud and let him use blocks instead of pictures. 

When I started out I did all the math along with my kids.  That way I got better at the concepts as they learned.  I did not start off strong in math at all.  Eleven years later and I'm now taking math classes at the CC for fun!  So it can be done if you are motivated to do it.

There are parent guides out there for SM too. 

• Like 1

When I started out I did all the math along with my kids.  That way I got better at the concepts as they learned.  I did not start off strong in math at all.  Eleven years later and I'm now taking math classes at the CC for fun!  So it can be done if you are motivated to do it.

There are parent guides out there for SM too. 

That's very encouraging! It's not that I'm unwilling to try to learn, I'm just doubting my ability to. Honestly, if there is any hope of me learning math it would probably be through MUS anyway lol  :lol:  

• Like 1

We used MUS from K through Algebra.  You may read my review here. We supplemented with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems.  It was the right combination for us for elementary school.  Our situations are different in that I have a degree in math.  I actually tried to use full blown Singapore with ds when he was in maybe 1st or 2nd grade.  But, it was so different from what I had learned that I was very uncomfortable with it.  I had no desire to spend hours and hours teaching myself a new math approach.  I needed the time for my weaker areas.

Your dilemma reminds me of a choice I had to make around junior high for a writing curriculum.  Writing is one of my weaker areas.  I can't remember the name of what I thought to be the "best" writing program out there - something about progymnasta.  I was deciding between it and Write Shop.  I thought if I used Write Shop, I would produce a competent writer.  But, if I could use this progymnasta curriculum, I would produce an excellent writer.  However, I was not confident in my ability to teach this other program.  Write Shop provided the hand holding both ds and I needed.  I chose Write Shop and was glad I did.

I felt bad about that decision until Nan in Mass said something about the "best" being the enemy of the "good".  What gets done is the "best".

HTH!

• Like 4

I'm wondering the same thing.  We have been using essentials and it is going really well.  We are in B also (my son is also 5).  It's been going well, I keep thinking why mess with something that works?  BUT I have heard great things about MUS.  I'm torn on what direction to go for 1st.  There are youtube videos comparing the two.  I need to take a look at that again and compare the approaches. 

I wonder if it would be helpful to see both and also talk to someone who has used both?  What is the difference in the approaches, as you explained Sue in St Pete?  I know Singapore is supposed to be more "thinking" math, which I think is honestly more my strength.  I think I'm good at math, but I definitely don't have an advanced degree.  I feel confident enough to teach through middle-school algebra though, and I figure at some point I'll probably outsource it at a coop in high school.  Were the approaches so different in elementary between MUS and Singapore?

One example of the difference.  Ds had learned multiple digit addition with MUS.  MUS teaches traditionally: add 1s, carry if necessary, add 10s, carry if necessary, etc.  Singapore teaches it in the opposite direction.  This perhaps make it easier to add in your head, but it's not the way I was taught, and ds had zero interest in learning a different way. 

One thing I learned with Singapore was breaking numbers up in my head.  Adding 5+7 becomes 5+5+2 in my head and that makes adding them easier. 

I spent an inordinate amount of time with the teacher's manual and struggled to teach ds.  It was not a good match for us.  OTOH, I loved the Challenging Word Problems.  They helped to solidify math concepts and provided a level of challenge that MUS did not offer.  I particularly remember the area and perimeter problems.  MUS would have a number of area problems and a number of perimeter problems.  Easy peasy.  Singapore would give the perimeter and some side information and have the student determine the area or vice versa.  He really had to learn the difference between the 2 measures to complete the problems.  In the later years, I had to work out all the problems myself in order to help or check ds.  I had to get help on occasion.  Ds called them evil.  :lol:

I switched to MUS about a year ago. It didn't last long. Here are some things you should know :

1. MUS Alpha teaches addition up to 10. That is all. It doesn't teach telling time, coin recognition, beginning fractions (recognizing half), or many other topics you would expect to be covered at this age.

2. It is not natural for a child to do math at this age without manipulative. If you read up on how kids learn math, there is a process. It starts with all hands on and progresses to all writing with no manipulatives. Let your child use whatever manipulatives they want as long as it works. My daughter loves to use pinto beans, buttons, popsicle sticks and unifix cubes. You can use them with ANY curriculum.

3. First, Choose the curriculum that covers the topics you want to teach. (There should be several that fit this requirement). Then, it sounds like you'll want a TM that will hold your hand and tell you what to say (without being confusing). Look at samples of the TM's that you're considering. Do they meet your needs as the teacher? Finally, look at the workbook pages. Will one book have more appealing pages than another for your child? --- once you've narrowed these choices you can pick a successful math curriculum for you and your child.

We ended up falling in love with CLE math. We tried many others including Singapore (I thought was confusing to teach), Horizons (very easy to follow TM, but my daughter would shut down when she saw how many problems were on each workbook page), MUS for us, it was SLOW and didn't teach what we wanted), BJU math (TM contains too much info - confusing to look at each day), Math Mammoth (I loved this - it's kind of like a Singapore, but it teaches directly to the student from the workbook page. I don't know why my daughter didn't like it).

At some point, you'll probably have your own list like this. Everyone starts out wanting to choose the math curriculum they'll stick with for good, but it rarely happens. Please know, however, that my daughter has excellent math skills and she loves doing math each day now. It just took us a while to figure out what worked best for "both" of us.

I'm sorry this was such a long comment. I just want to help you to not throw $$$ away over and over "trying" what looks appealing. It can look great and people can rave about it, but if it doesn't meet the 3 main requirements, you will find yourself looking for a new solution. Best of luck to you.

Lots of people really love MUS. We started with Primary and are now on Beta, and for me, it just seems like a traditional math curriculum with blocks added on to it. And my dd is not crazy about the blocks. I think if what you are using is working, stick with it, and tweak it as need be, as per SparklyUnicorn's suggestion.

I started my twins with Singapore.  One is very mathy and really took to it.  The other needed to move to something else.  She uses MUS and does really well with it.  I'm glad I switched her.  I supplement with other things - Challenging Word Problems or MM, both of which I already own. 

I don't understand why he can't use his blocks with Singapore? Even if the book doesn't say to use them I'd just hand the boy his blocks.

My kids all set their manipulatives aside on their own when they no longer needed them. No one took them to algebra.

• Like 1

Add me to the list of those saying he's 5, use blocks.  I know my children used blocks and other concrete objects in Singapore Primary.  It's concrete to pictorial.  No reason to stop the concrete blocks. Eventually, you'll draw some pics and bars when numbers get bigger.  But with my children, I used the pictures in the primary textbook as models for what to do with our blocks. I didn't even give it another thought.

Thank you everyone! Math went a lot better today, so maybe we were just having a hiccup. If MUS wasn't so expensive, I would definitely just try it and see how it went. It's not so much that I'm against using the blocks with Singapore, it's more that I'm wondering if MUS would be a better fit for him/us. There's still the issue of needing a teacher at some point as well. 

• Like 1