Menu

camper question

ProudGrandma

we have 2 teenagers and 1 preteen....and we are considering getting one of those bunkhouse campers, but were wondering if our kids would sleep comfortably on the bunks.  They are not big kids...dd16 is 5"1' and so is my ds 15.  Dd weighs about 91 and ds about 100.  ds12 is a small guy...so he would be fine. 

any thoughts?

thanks.

We have a motor home with bunks. DS18 is about 5'7" or 5'8" and around 145 pounds. It's just in the last year or so he's started to feel a bit claustrophobic in the bunk. But he sleeps in the top one and I think it's mostly due to the ceiling being rather close than it is to the length or width of the bunk. But when we were shopping around (that was in 2007) we noted that bunk sizes varied quite a lot. So I'd make sure to check, don't assume they're all pretty much the same.

we have 2 teenagers and 1 preteen....and we are considering getting one of those bunkhouse campers, but were wondering if our kids would sleep comfortably on the bunks.  They are not big kids...dd16 is 5"1' and so is my ds 15.  Dd weighs about 91 and ds about 100.  ds12 is a small guy...so he would be fine. 

any thoughts?

thanks.

No problems until they get much taller than that.  Have you measured the length of the bunks?  Most are about 6 feet long...

this is actually what we own now...and we feel like we are on top of each other when we are in there together.  One thing we want to consider is being able to school and camp at the same time...so we can camp earlier in the spring and later into the fall...but not fall be hind in our studies.  So, in order to do that comfortably, especially if we have to be inside at the same time, we are looking to get a bigger camper...and this seems to be the natural progression.

Take your kids with you when you go camper shopping! Let them try out the beds. Not all bunkhouses are created equal. If you are able, go to an RV show where you can easily try out different manufacturers. We have a bunk bed (as opposed to a bunkhouse), and other than limited vertical space, they're comfy with plenty of horizontal room. 

I know someone said that camping and sleeping comfortably don't go together, but I get the best sleep when we camp. I don't know what it is, maybe the fresh air or the nighttime sounds of the country, but I love it! 

Edited by thessa516
  • Like 1

We've looked off and on at campers. At first, a bunkhouse seemed fine, but now ds15 would be smooshed in like a sardine. If your kids hit a growth spurt, that bunk will become really tiny, really quickly. Have you thought about hybrid campers? The push out beds are usually full or queen.

Here's an example...

http://www.rockwood-campers.com/rv/detail.cfm?id=1597

This one doesn't have hard sided slide outs, but they make them with hard sides, so there is no tent material. Hybrid or expandable is what they call them, I think.

That is our camper...ok we didn't exactly buy it yet but that's the exact model we've chosen and hope to get in a few months (and hen rent out via RVShare to pay for it) . I'm so excited!!!

DH is 6' 2" and I'm 5' 11"...so while our kids are younger and shorter now, they are likely going to be on the tall side. We had a pop up camper for several years but kiddos were squashed sharing a bed (and hated it). New camper affords queen beds all around with fewer worries about claustrophobia.

Umm, I just can't see the terms "sleep comfortably" and "camp" ever going in the same sentence. 😂

I have a pillow top mattress topper and 500 thread count sheets on my bed in my camper. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it's the compromise my husband and I made so he could go camping.

What is rv share? I've not heard of it.

It's where you can rent your RV for income or rent someone else's RV. www.rvshare.com. Person to person but RVShare is 3rd party that facilitates the transaction and offers insurance coverage.

It's similar to Turo (which is like AirBnB for cars) which is privately owned cars available for rent. We actually own 2 full time Turo rental cars, housed at the airport and rented at least 75% of the time. The draw is that you can rent unique, specialty or luxury cars. Liability, contracts and marketing are factored in- Turo takes 20% of the gross rental. We do it for pure profit and cars were purchased for that reason.

So we are looking to try RVShare...which would be a lot more work and tedious for a camper but could easily offset the payments on camper.