Menu

Amazon supermarket staffed by just THREE humans and automation

RegGuheert

Amazon planning to open robotic supermarket staffed by just three humans sources claim:

That’s what Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos appears to be thinking, as his Seattle-based web giant has contemplated a two-story, automated grocery store in which a staff of robots on the floor upstairs grabs and bags items for shoppers below

Frankly, that sounds like what Aldi does today with NO automation.  Perhaps this store is somehow much larger?

I'm surprised it's taken them so long to do this. Automation is only going to increase as the cost of the technology continues to drop. Amazon has shown that they are a company that actively seeks to use technology to improve their bottom line. Their warehouses have had robots picking stock for years now. Even one of our state universities has a robot that retrieves requested library books from the stacks which are now in a back room.

• Like 2

The RFID tags used to enable this type of sales model currently cost between 7 and 15 cents each.  I wonder how that per-item cost compares with having more employees.  Walmart has been pushing for cheap RFID tags for years (decades), but I don't see them using them, yet.  (Or is there some other way to eliminate checkout lines besides using RFID tags?)

This part of the article makes no sense to me is that they want to focus on things people want to touch:

The ground level of the futuristic prototype — a supermarket-sized version of its recently unveiled “Amazon Go†convenience store, with a bigger layout that could span anywhere between 10,000 and 40,000 square feet — would be devoted to goods that shoppers typically like to touch, sources briefed on the plans told The New Post.

Those could include as many as 4,000 items, spanning fresh fruits and vegetables, eggs, meats and cheeses, and grab-it-and-go stuff like beer and wine, the sources said.

So how does that work?  Do I get to "touch" a sample grapefruit downstairs only to have a robotically-bruised and battered one put into my basket by the machines upstairs?  Does the robot give me the ripe melon or the one which isn't quite there?

What does make sense is this (I mean, if you can get beyond the typo):

Pharmacies might also might spring up at some of the high-tech locations, as Amazon looks to break into the lucrative sector, insiders said.

Anything to reduce the shenanigans in drug prices would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I could see this happening. The bulk of my shopping is now done online, including groceries. I order using an app through the week, check out, and pick up my order from the local grocery store. On occasion, I'll go into the store and pick up specialty items, but the bulk of my shopping is either delivered to my house or my car. No more struggling with two toddlers in a store while trying to purchase groceries!

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 2

No checkouts! Wow, I have no idea how to feel about this. You just pick up an item and it adds it to your automatic checkout app and when you leave you are charged. Wouldn't this make shoplifting impossible?

Sam's has an app like this and I've heard walmart is adding one soon.
  • Like 2

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, awesome. I love being able to shop and never have to speak to anyone. This is why I mostly shop online. I have used online shopping for grocery delivery and have never been disappointed but I do like to go to the store and pick my own perishable items.

One the other hand we are automating ourselves out of jobs. We have a lot of people and too few jobs. Trump isn't bringing those jobs back. Not entirely his doing, Hillary wouldn't be able to bring them back either. Entry level jobs are being replaced with machines. That was coming from the moment computers were invented. What are people supposed to do? Not everyone is cut out for world of big business office jobs.

• Like 3

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, awesome. I love being able to shop and never have to speak to anyone. This is why I mostly shop online. I have used online shopping for grocery delivery and have never been disappointed but I do like to go to the store and pick my own perishable items.

One the other hand we are automating ourselves out of jobs. We have a lot of people and too few jobs. Trump isn't bringing those jobs back. Not entirely his doing, Hillary wouldn't be able to bring them back either. Entry level jobs are being replaced with machines. That was coming from the moment computers were invented. What are people supposed to do? Not everyone is cut out for world of big business office jobs.

It is a conundrum. One solution I can think of is to tax the business for the income taxes of every person eliminated due to automation. For five years or something. Then use the money to fund social safety net programs, job retraining, professional licensing, trade programs, and college.

Then end corporate welfare in the first place. Take the loop holes out. DTE here pays almost nothing in taxes on 800+million of proft! If they are going to eliminate jobs, they can dang well pay their fair share into the system.

• Like 1

I like ordering on-line, but it's quite a bit more expensive. 

The prices at my grocery store are the same online and in the store. I can even use coupons with my online purchase, although it is cumbersome and there is a delay in processing. There is a shopping fee, but there are often coupons and specials that eliminate that fee or lower it to about $5. That' s well worth it to not have to spend an hour in the store. 

• Like 1

I thought you still went through check out with that?  Hmmmm....I haven't looked into it enough I suppose.

With the Sams app you scan your own things with your phone as you put them in your cart and then you pay through the app.  It then displays a receipt that you can show to the receipt checker as you leave.  You do not go through the check out.

Wendy

• Like 3

I heard about the Sam's app and if I was just getting a few things I guess I could see that being okay, but in general I have anxiety about keeping it all straight and I don't want to accidentally steal something. You know, the case of water on the bottom of the cart or such. I have actually caught mistakes like this in the line and pointed it out only to have it dismissed. Later I double checked the receipt and the cashier did mess up.

• Like 2

I heard about the Sam's app and if I was just getting a few things I guess I could see that being okay, but in general I have anxiety about keeping it all straight and I don't want to accidentally steal something. You know, the case of water on the bottom of the cart or such. I have actually caught mistakes like this in the line and pointed it out only to have it dismissed. Later I double checked the receipt and the cashier did mess up.

I have a system that makes it soooo easy...  :lol:

First, round up three little boys, preferably one with autism who can really fixate on things.  To keep them engaged during the trip, and to limit squabbling, tell them they can take turns scanning items as you buy them.

That's it.  You will automatically have six eyes staring at you intently the moment you take any item off the shelf.  Whoever is currently holding the phone will practically lunge at you to scan the item; no worries about accidental shop lifting.  Whoever's turn is next will start making grabby hands at the phone so they can be ready at a moment's notice to scan the next item.

Now I understand not everyone has three small boys to help them, but don't worry, I'm willing to loan mine out.   :closedeyes:

Wendy

• Like 8

I have a system that makes it soooo easy...  :lol:

First, round up three little boys, preferably one with autism who can really fixate on things.  To keep them engaged during the trip, and to limit squabbling, tell them they can take turns scanning items as you buy them.

That's it.  You will automatically have six eyes staring at you intently the moment you take any item off the shelf.  Whoever is currently holding the phone will practically lunge at you to scan the item; no worries about accidental shop lifting.  Whoever's turn is next will start making grabby hands at the phone so they can be ready at a moment's notice to scan the next item.

Now I understand not everyone has three small boys to help them, but don't worry, I'm willing to loan mine out.   :closedeyes:

Wendy

:laugh:

My son would probably love handling the scanning. What if you put something back, then there's a delete button? Dh does most of the shopping and goes into Sam's self checkout (most of the time). It hurts my brain watching him scan because he does it so quickly it makes me paranoid about whether it's right or wrong.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

:laugh:

My son would probably love handling the scanning. What if you put something back, then there's a delete button? 

Yep, you just remove that item from your virtual cart.

The only annoying aspect about the app is that you can't buy alcohol, but that is rarely an issue for us.

Wendy

• Like 2

Yep, you just remove that item from your virtual cart.

The only annoying aspect about the app is that you can't buy alcohol, but that is rarely an issue for us.

Wendy

The only time access to alcohol at Sam's was an issue for me was when I wanted to scan a bottle for Shopkick and that part of their store was closed because it was a Sunday ha.

• Like 1

First, round up three little boys, preferably one with autism who can really fixate on things. To keep them engaged during the trip, and to limit squabbling, tell them they can take turns scanning items as you buy them.

Wendy, I could be wrong, but I think you are paying for each item three times! :lol: Edited by RegGuheert

I could see this happening. The bulk of my shopping is now done online, including groceries. I order using an app through the week, check out, and pick up my order from the local grocery store. On occasion, I'll go into the store and pick up specialty items, but the bulk of my shopping is either delivered to my house or my car. No more struggling with two toddlers in a store while trying to purchase groceries!

Tell me how this works.

What grocery stores participate? Do you fill your online basket as you go, click the checkout button and drive to the store to have it delivered to your car or choose to have home delivery?

• Like 1

Tell me how this works.

What grocery stores participate? Do you fill your online basket as you go, click the checkout button and drive to the store to have it delivered to your car or choose to have home delivery?

Right now, I use Wal-Mart. As I use the kitchen through the week, I add things to my cart with a final scan of my pantry and fridge just before checkout, usually done the day before I want to pickup. I pick the store location first then have hourly slots from 8 AM to 5 PM. When I arrive, I call the number posted on the sign and they bring my groceries out to me. The service currently is free.

I've used Harris Teeter in the past, which had a surcharge. The concept was similar: pick the store, select your groceries, check out online, pick up at the store.

At Wal Mart, I know the workers by name and sight and they tell me it's actually one of the more popular positions. The hours are good and the customers happy for the service. Apparently the overnight "shopper" jobs are also desirable. They say the service is surprisingly popular with men as well as women with small children (like me) who were originally the target demographic.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 2

I'm loving ClickList at Kroger. They are surprisingly good at choosing produce, which is what held me back from the service at first. I see a lot of older folks in the store filling the ClickList orders. They seem to be really enjoying themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

I tried the shop for you services at one of my local stores.  They did a perfectly fine job picking produce.  What I did not care for is they called me 3 times to ask me about substitutions or to tell me they didn't have something.  And then when I went to pick it up they told me about more items they didn't find and do I want this or that and they'll go get it.  It took me longer to check out than normal because of that.  I found those two factors to be quite annoying.

Price wise for that it was the same except they charge a fee.  It's not much when you pick up.  More when they deliver.  The fee isn't so bad either way though so that part isn't a turn off.  They also allow you to use coupons and stuff too. 

• Like 1