Menu

Online Spanish

We've used both Sr. Gamache at La Clase Divertida and Ray Leven at Spanish Learning Online and have been very happy, but people seem to either really love or hate these teachers, so ymmv.

The Potters School or Homeschool Spanish Academy are other options.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 2

I don't know if by online you mean someone else teaching and someone else grading or if it is just that your student prefers computer based vs book based. But I came across an iBook program called Breaking the Barrier (they also have a book version) and they have 3 levels. It is interactive and you can try a sample by going on to the iBook app I believe.

• Like 1

We've used both Sr. Gamache at La Clase Divertida and Ray Levin at Spanish Learning Online and have been very happy, but people seem to either really love or hate these teachers, so ymmv.

I missed the secular provider part. The Potters School is not secular and Sr. Gamache may make references to being a Christian at times.

• Like 2

I know some people are against the K-12 type programs, but three of my kids dipped into their foreign language programs when we couldn't figure out anything else, and only had great experiences!  Specifically, we went through IQ Academy, which is available in a limited number of states.

• Like 2

We've used both Sr. Gamache at La Clase Divertida and Ray Levin at Spanish Learning Online and have been very happy, but people seem to either really love or hate these teachers, so ymmv.

Sr Gamache doesn't run a secular class.

Isn't Leven secular?

Homeschool Spanish Academy should offer at least three levels of tutoring as it is run by native speakers.

• Like 2

Homeschool Spanish Academy would be an option. My dd is currently in Spanish 4 with them.

I think the lady at HSA misquoted the price for one unit of high school level Spanish. She said $550 for 60 one-hour classes, and that would be the total price for one unit of credit. Wouldn't 60 hours of class time equate to one semester?

ETA: this is a question for anyone with a student at HSA, just happened to quote kand.

Edited by crazyforlatin

That would be 60 hours of class time, but then homework time out of class would bring it up to a full credit. If the student averages an hour of homework for each hour of class, that would be 120 hours.

I see, that makes sense now, but I'm still confused how that is adequate compared to what is offered locally in PS. Normally, foreign language classes here are 3x per week for an hour for both semesters, so just class time alone would mean more than 120 hours. Also, I couldn't get anyone on the phone to confirm that HSA is UC approved. I didn't see it on the website. I know it must be because others here are taking it for that purpose and that's what UCOP says.

I might be calculating wrong, but I get 3 times a week for two 18 week semesters = 3*36=108 hours class time. For my own dd, I find the class time she gets in HSA is far more learning time per hour than when she was in a local group class, because it's one on one, so she is listening and speaking solidly for the entire class period, rather than having a few opportunities to be the one to answer a question each class. Your mileage may vary, but that's how it has been for us so far.

The district that I'm considering has more than 18 weeks because we drive over for their Saturday language class, and their schedule has to follow PS for kids to receive HS credit; they have daily language labs, but if you consider holidays, then it wouldn't be 120 hours of class time anyway unless conversational labs are included. I'm not saying HSA is not adequate; in fact, we were with them for many months a few years ago, so I know the quality of the classes. I'm worried that their one unit is not actually considered 2 semesters for UC purposes, which means I would have to pay much more than I would like, just so that I can check off a box. Now if the person in charge of all this at HSA would call me back...