Menu

First day back

Ausmumof3

Anyone else on their first day back after break? It's also first year where ds4 is preschool so is ready to start.

Today was quite fun but it felt really hectic. I can see that the days of school taking four hours are pretty much over - at least for me - but I don't know how well we will adjust. I like my day grouped and simple because I don't do that well supervising different subjects at the same time and in all different areas. But I really think it's not realistic to have three different kids on three different levels of maths working at the same time - or at least not without a more self teaching program than Singapore.

I just don't know how we are going to manage to extend the school day without really falling apart on the housework front.

Edited by Ausmumof3

Yes, we started today. We did some reading etc at home first then went school supplies shopping because I hadn't done it yet. Then we got chips at a cafe and went to the pool. Happy day 😊.

My youngest starts her K year this year. She is sooooooo excited. She happily glued pictures of items starting with 'f' and practiced writing the letter 'f'. She also read from a reader. It was a lovely day for her. Tomorrow she starts violin lessons along with her violin-playing sisters so life just gets better and better.....😉.

• Like 3

Yes, we started today. We did some reading etc at home first then went school supplies shopping because I hadn't done it yet. Then we got chips at a cafe and went to the pool. Happy day 😊.

My youngest starts her K year this year. She is sooooooo excited. She happily glued pictures of items starting with 'f' and practiced writing the letter 'f'. She also read from a reader. It was a lovely day for her. Tomorrow she starts violin lessons along with her violin-playing sisters so life just gets better and better.....😉.

she might like these free printable letter of the day bracelets https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.com/teach-alphabet/

• Like 1

This is great! Actually mine is starting his first year, I have no idea why I wrote preschool. My brain most have been fries from the first day back 😂

Shopping for school supplies when they are on clearance is one of the advantages of home schooling I reckon. Along with not having to buy school shoes.

I have just started homeschooling in QLD and am new to this forum (although I have been lurking for a while)

It's definitely too hot to embark on anything too ambitious at the moment.

Welcome AussieHelga 😊. I agree about the heat. It was at least 43 degrees (110ish F) here today. And we're forecast for more of the same. I have to admit that I'm not handling it very well.

I hope you have an awesome first year homeschooling.

Edited by LindaOz

First day was today.

Apparently eldest, who can read at a third grade level, forgot what all the letters looked like, completely, let alone how to form them for her first ever spelling lesson *headdesk*. Also, writing lines are stupid, everything should be written between the first and second line. In capitals. At least she can read right?

Middle loved school so long as I let her do cutting. She doesn't care about anything else, she will tolerate it as long as it leads to doing cutting. Math is just a segway to cutting. So are those stupid reading lessons. And no, she will NOT cut out plain paper, that's pointless. It must have lines. And pictures. And preferably become a picture or toy at the end. Why did I ever begin using kumon books... she did my entire weeks worth of cutting pages today. 

Youngest was cranky, even though she isn't meant to be doing real school yet, because I tried to offload her onto grandma who was here helping me with housecleaning. She knew she had a school folder, and her sister has been telling her (for weeks!) that there is cutting in it (because, remember, that's the only important part of school). i tried placating her with a quick math lesson, because I'm legally blind and prefer DH to introduce motor skills and grips, since he can see them. It didn't go down well. Also, everything is 3. one, two, three. Even a single ball is onetwothree. But judging by today, putting the books away for 6 months is going to be... protested. Oh, and tracing with dry erase marker is cool, but, dabbing it on the page, then wiping it off with a wet-wipe, over and over, then using the blackened wet wipe to stamp yourself, is much more fun. 

Oh boy.... bring on day two. 

• Like 3

first day back.

new arrival off to private Catholic school

twins off to repeat 4 year old preschool

Ds13 did writing program and AAS  I started him in book 2. He though the tiles babyish, and said they were easier to use all scrambled up :001_rolleyes: - at least we got the lesson completed, then he want on strike and that was that.  ARGH 

DD 17 is doing open university this year and her first  unit doesn't start until the 25th

• Like 3

We started back on Monday and it went really well! Ditto Tuesday! I'm quite happy with what we have planned this year and the kids are doing well. We manage to finish up around 2 if we keep to the schedule.

Wednesday, pretty good but we had to run an errand which threw us off, but we only missed music practice and read aloud really...

Then I had some other dramas to take care of into the wee hours of the morning, and everyone seems to have hit a wall, so Thursday is a half day. They've been filling the other half with tree climbed and yahtzee - I figure that's a win lol. I'm trying not to let my pretty, inflexible schedule annoy me too much.

Tomorrow we have our usual Friday, art with a friend and music lessons, with a couple of subjects in between (maths and reading mainly)

• Like 3

First day was today.

Apparently eldest, who can read at a third grade level, forgot what all the letters looked like, completely, let alone how to form them for her first ever spelling lesson *headdesk*. Also, writing lines are stupid, everything should be written between the first and second line. In capitals. At least she can read right?

Middle loved school so long as I let her do cutting. She doesn't care about anything else, she will tolerate it as long as it leads to doing cutting. Math is just a segway to cutting. So are those stupid reading lessons. And no, she will NOT cut out plain paper, that's pointless. It must have lines. And pictures. And preferably become a picture or toy at the end. Why did I ever begin using kumon books... she did my entire weeks worth of cutting pages today.

Youngest was cranky, even though she isn't meant to be doing real school yet, because I tried to offload her onto grandma who was here helping me with housecleaning. She knew she had a school folder, and her sister has been telling her (for weeks!) that there is cutting in it (because, remember, that's the only important part of school). i tried placating her with a quick math lesson, because I'm legally blind and prefer DH to introduce motor skills and grips, since he can see them. It didn't go down well. Also, everything is 3. one, two, three. Even a single ball is onetwothree. But judging by today, putting the books away for 6 months is going to be... protested. Oh, and tracing with dry erase marker is cool, but, dabbing it on the page, then wiping it off with a wet-wipe, over and over, then using the blackened wet wipe to stamp yourself, is much more fun.

Oh boy.... bring on day two.

My sil had a kid obsessed with cutting. She used to give him catalogues and old magazines and paper and let him go for it. He's pretty good at making cards and now woodwork so I guess it's paying off.

It was too hot on Monday/Tues, and ds was getting over gastro anyway. We did some PDHPE and History yesterday, today he went to a h/s class and got wiped out again. So we haven't really started, but kinda ?

It's going to be super hot Monday again. I don't know how to deal with the heat, really. Maybe we'll go to the library for a few hours. We need air con. Especially if each month is just going to keep being 'the hottest since records began', kwim ? But we're not getting it, boo hiss.

We just got air con in our living room and it's made life so much easier. Really appreciating it. The only thing that really worked before was an early start and a nap in the heat but it wasn't great. And sometimes a pool day

Hope your kiddo feels better soon.

• Like 1