Menu

A friendly algebra book?

Maybe if I cannot find a good workbook program, wonder if what I am using is not friendly enough? He picked Jacob's. I also have Foerster's but he says he does not like that one. Dolciani Structure and Method looks friendlier to me, but it would mean another purchase. I do not want to lose quality. And would prefer not to spend more money if it will not help.

I posted this on your other thread but also think it fits here - CLE Algebra. Very incremental,student friendly, and inexpensive ($30). I have used this course with my oldest ds. It is very solid and would provide a good base for moving on to any standard Algebra 2 course. Not as word problem heavy as Foersters perhaps but definitely covers the bases for the major types of Algebra word problems. Also covers basic probability and statistics concepts. Take a look at the higher level light unit samples for example, Unit 9 or Unit 7 to get a better feel for the program. The first light unit is quite easy but the difficulty level ramps in the later light units. 

Some of the appealing features of this course are:

• Written to the student directly with clear instruction
  • incremental introduction of new concepts
  • Daily mixed review of previous concepts for better retention
  • Clearly delineated manageable daily lessons
  • User friendly worktexts containing work for 3 weeks
  • Scheduled quizzes every 5th lesson and a unit test every 3 weeks 
  • Solutions manual
Edited by 3andme
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on your other thread but also think it fits here - CLE Algebra. Very incremental,student friendly, and inexpensive ($30). I have used this course with my oldest ds. It is very solid and would provide a good base for moving on to any standard Algebra 2 course. Not as word problem heavy as Foersters perhaps but definitely covers the bases for the major types of Algebra word problems. Also covers basic probability and statistics concepts. Take a look at the higher level light unit samples for example, Unit 9 or Unit 7 to get a better feel for the program. The first light unit is quite easy but the difficulty level ramps in the later light units. 

Some of the appealing features of this course are:

• Written to the student directly with clear instruction
  • incremental introduction of new concepts
  • Daily mixed review of previous concepts for better retention
  • Clearly delineated manageable daily lessons
  • User friendly worktexts containing work for 3 weeks
  • Scheduled quizzes every 5th lesson and a unit test every 3 weeks 
  • Solutions manual

Another vote for CLE as long as he realizes it there isn't anything past it and he'll have to switch programs afterwards. They keep saying they're under development, but I'm losing hope it will be in time for my oldest. She's almost done with Algebra I. :( 

I own Lial's and Foerster's Algebra, along with MWB teaching,  but am considering buying CLE for DS #3 for next year.  Having been through Foerster's with my other two, I know this kid will be frustrated with it.  I also think the Lial's book is not right for him either (too busy).  I cannot believe I am going to buy another Algebra, but he has used CLE since 5th grade, and I see it as working the best as far as user friendliness and review. I also decided to wait till ninth grade, or maybe this summer after 8th, to start.   I saw so many people here start Algebra in 7th/ 8th that it influenced me to do that with my older two, and for some students that is just too early.  I ended up having to repeat much of it with both of them.  

My 2 cents:  I would avoid TT for Algebra because it just doesn't force the student to show their work or learn how to set up equations on their own.  I used/am using TT for Alg 2 and Pre-Calc and I hate the multiple choice answers.  It is so easy for the student to look at the choices and guess the answer.  If I had the $$ and time I would switch. 

• Like 1