Menu

Suggestions for a new shower head

fairfarmhand

In my girls' bathroom, we still have the original basic 15 yo shower head. In my bathroom, we replaced it with something a bit nicer.

I need to solve a problem. If someone showers in the girls' bathroom, no one else can shower (unless they like 3 minute showers) until 30-40 minutes have passed. Some of this is due to ding dongs who are inconsiderate of others. But I'm wondering if a new shower head could help somewhat.

I'm looking at lower flow shower heads. Suggestions?

We installed this shower head in our showers about 18 years ago.  They are different than most shower heads in that they do NOT have little holes in them to control the flow.  Those tiny holes tend to either get clogged OR they get larger over time.  Rather, it is shaped more like the nozzle of a rocket engine.  I measured the flow rate on the lowest setting to be less than 1 GPM while still giving an excellent shower.  I never increase the flow rate above the lowest setting.

• 3 years later...

Is it because there is no hot water left?  We used to have that problem too, although I always attributed it to living in a 100+ year-old house.  Eventually we had to tell our kids to turn off the water while sudsing, etc.  That helped.

We have very poor pressure in our house and installed these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FH9NZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in two bathrooms.  Depending on how slow the flow is you can either keep the regulator in (which helps save water) or take it out... higher flow.  They are amazing.

But, when we were kids at one time we had 6 teen girls and one bathroom (my parents were foster parents to 3).  They put us on a timer because my dad was always ending up with a cold water.  We had 3 mins to take a shower.   Now, that I'm an adult I think I'm still around 5 mins. or slightly more.  I cannot figure why my husband needs a 15-20 min shower 😄.  

It could also be that you need a bigger tank.  When our kids were little we had a larger tank (it was propane).  It definitely helped once my parents also moved in and we had 10 people in the house. 

Edited by PrincessMommy