Menu

Brainstorm my business card with me...

quark

There is a 50% off sitewide sale at Vistaprint that I would like to take advantage of (use SAVEBIG at checkout). I have always designed my own business cards but previously they were only for a certain type of freelance service. These days, I find myself doing a number of things freelance and while not all are related to the others, people might find that they need my help in more ways than one.

So what would you suggest I mention on the card? I don't want to print separate cards because well, it's costly and I don't want to have to carry so many different ones on me.

Previously, I had (company name/ name) followed by "words, ideas, design" (tagline to fit my freelance design/ writing work).

Now, I have a few other consultation/ support-type services I want to add to the card.

Should I just use (company name/ name) (cell) (email) (website) then have a running list of services printed on the bottom?

Would love ideas, thanks!

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

Could you do a double-sided one with one type of work on one side and the other on the other side? I ordered business cards a few years back that are double sided, but the one side is just art. So, I don't know if that's even possible.

Other idea would be two columns. One column for the one type of work and the other column for another type or misc. Perhaps a header like, "also available for:" and then bullet points or just the list.

• Like 4

OK.  They have 296 designs for you to look at. This is the URL:  http://www.vistaprint.com/gallery/IMkCgAABAAAAAAA=/standard-business-cards/business-services.aspx?attribute=1&attribute=447   If I was in your shoes, wanting to order these cards, I would try to leave as much blank space on the card as is possible. For example, I might put my name, phone number, URL and email in the Upper Left Hand Corner. Then, if space permitted, in the Lower Right hand corner, I would put the 2 or 3 kinds of things I can do.  GL with your decision. If you want to spend more $, they have other cards and probably more designs for those. 

• Like 1

Would you mind sharing what the other services are? Are they related in any way to the first set?

I don't mind but might be flouting forum rules if it comes across as advertising. One is semi related to first but the other is not. :)

Could you do a double-sided one with one type of work on one side and the other on the other side? I ordered business cards a few years back that are double sided, but the one side is just art. So, I don't know if that's even possible.

Other idea would be two columns. One column for the one type of work and the other column for another type or misc. Perhaps a header like, "also available for:" and then bullet points or just the list.

My previous card is doublesided but now I have one more unrelated service to add. I might look into it again, thank you!

• Like 1

OK. They have 296 designs for you to look at. This is the URL: http://www.vistaprint.com/gallery/IMkCgAABAAAAAAA=/standard-business-cards/business-services.aspx?attribute=1&attribute=447 If I was in your shoes, wanting to order these cards, I would try to leave as much blank space on the card as is possible. For example, I might put my name, phone number, URL and email in the Upper Left Hand Corner. Then, if space permitted, in the Lower Right hand corner, I would put the 2 or 3 kinds of things I can do. GL with your decision. If you want to spend more $, they have other cards and probably more designs for those.

Thanks Lanny. I think I might do what you suggested if doublesided feels too messy. As for design, I am a bit ocd and I design my own then upload it to their site for printing. :)

• Like 1

I don't mind but might be flouting forum rules if it comes across as advertising. One is semi related to first but the other is not. :)

Asking how to include everything on a business card isn't self promoting. You're not spamming us all with your proteinshakes or anything. ;)

• Like 2

Asking how to include everything on a business card isn't self promoting. You're not spamming us all with your proteinshakes or anything. ;)

Agreed. Don't share the website or offer us all a FREE CONSULTATION if we call RIGHT NOW, but I would think you could freely share the industry or type of service.

• Like 1

Try 

Company Name

two columns of services

Then NAP across the bottom

You might also consider if you are better served with less details of what you do and more contact information such as web and social media addys.

Do you help design products or content? I might change the tagline to something that expresses your ability to cover the process from start to finish. 

• Like 1

You might also consider if you are better served with less details of what you do and more contact information such as web and social media addys.

I'm leaning more and more towards fewer details of what I do and more contact info. It looks a lot cleaner and meshes well with the designs I want to try.

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to play around with it some more and see which one I like best!

You guys are awesome! :001_wub:

• Like 2

Agreed. Don't share the website or offer us all a FREE CONSULTATION if we call RIGHT NOW, but I would think you could freely share the industry or type of service.

:laugh:  I am a freelance writer/ designer and have branched out to office solutions provider (the one that's related). The other is based on homeschooling and why I don't want to say too much.

I just collected a few piano teachers business cards from a music store as my kids want to do some exams. I just pick the uncluttered looking ones.

One layout was:

Name

Details

Phone

Email

Social media

The other layout was double sided:

Name

Phone

Email

Social media

Details is on reverse side which in her case was duration of lessons, exams offered, level she is accepting students for.

Now I am so lazy that I just ask people to use the "share contact" function on their phone.