Menu

Intro./ How Soon?

Hi, all!

My name is Celeste, and I am a former high-school English teacher who has been at home for five years. We are in our first year of homeschooling with a dd in 5K and a ds in 3K. Currently with 5-y-o dd we are using Saxon Math, OPGtTR, and A Reason for Handwriting for our main subjects.

I am really looking forward to beginning Story of the World next year and was wondering if it were too soon to buy Vol. I and begin tracking down the supplemental resources. Our local library isn't very large, and I would imagine that I would need to see which books were available in our library, which were available through our county system, and which were available through Inter-library Loan.

Also, I was wondering how you handle it if you want to teach only one period of history to multiple children of different ages. I am planning on having ds just listen in next year and plug him in to whatever age we happen to be on when he is in first grade (I guess DD would be in Late Renaissance-Early Modern). Do any of you handle it this way? It seems just too overwhelming to me to try to handle more than one period of history at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi, all!

My name is Celeste, and I am a former high-school English teacher who has been at home for five years. We are in our first year of homeschooling with a dd in 5K and a ds in 3K. Currently with 5-y-o dd we are using Saxon Math, OPGtTR, and A Reason for Handwriting for our main subjects.

I am really looking forward to beginning Story of the World next year and was wondering if it were too soon to buy Vol. I and begin tracking down the supplemental resources. Our local library isn't very large, and I would imagine that I would need to see which books were available in our library, which were available through our county system, and which were available through Inter-library Loan.

Also, I was wondering how you handle it if you want to teach only one period of history to multiple children of different ages. I am planning on having ds just listen in next year and plug him in to whatever age we happen to be on when he is in first grade (I guess DD would be in Late Renaissance-Early Modern). Do any of you handle it this way? It seems just too overwhelming to me to try to handle more than one period of history at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Welcome! I don't think its too early. You'll have a well-considered comprehensive program if you start planning now. And I think teaching 2 periods would be very difficult and wholly unnecessary. I rolled my 6-yo 1st grader into history with my 9yo 4th grader this year (medieval) and its working out just fine. The 9yo does more reading than the 6yo and does her own "narrations" while the 6yo narrates to me with coaching. They like doing history together.

Welcome to the board! I agree with everyone else to keep them together for history. I have 3 doing history together now, in our 4th year of SOTW with Biblioplan. I usually get the booklist way ahead of time so I can search all the libraries and then order the ones I can't get elsewhere from Amazon or Rainbow. With the younger ages we do lots of reading aloud and coloring and drawing for history, occassionally some projects too. My goal was to make the first time through all of world history fun and it has paid off. My eldest dd10 loves history and will be well prepared for the next cycle through when she will actually need to know some dates, etc. My ds8 mainly loves any wars that we study, gotta start somewhere. And dd5 is technically K but doing 1st this year and she is not required to "do" history but she loves listening to anything I'm reading and I'm hoping some of it gets absorbed.

We do history, science, and literature together. I just roll the younger ones into the spot we're at when they are ready.

I don't worry about the additional resources. My library hasn't had many of them. I just get what they have instead. There have been some chapters where there really wasn't anything we could use so we just used SOTW only for those. It allows us to move more quickly with those and enjoy extra time for chapters where we have a lot of additional resources.

Welcome! Your situation sounds so similar to mine! I taught highschool math and stopped when we had kids. I started homeschooling when my dd was 5 and my ds was 3 also. I don't think it is too early to start buying it and looking it over. But, I will warn you that once I got it I couldn't wait to start SOTW and so I started it very gently when my kids were that age. They were both young readers and very ready for SOTW. In fact, some of my very favorite homeschool pictures are looking back at the notebook that we put together of that first year. I'm glad I started early because I spent 1.5 years on SOTW 1 and 1.5 years on SOTW 2. I have always kept them together in most subjects and SOTW lends itself to this very well.

We do history, science, and literature together. I just roll the younger ones into the spot we're at when they are ready.

quote]

:iagree: me too! I saves so much time and they all enjoy talking about what they are learning. They tend to reinforce the lessons we have had by acting things out together and talking about it. My 6 year old has been sitting in on his sister's histiry and literature lessons as well as science for the past 3 years...this year he is "officially" in 1st grade, but he has been learning all along. He loves Ancient Rome and we covered that when he was 3!

Good luck!

Sometimes I felt rather silly buying things before I actually needed them, but I don't regret it now. I was able to thoroughly research items and make sure that they would work for us. I searched the used sale boards here and at homeschoolclassifieds.com to get really good deals, and then I resold anything that I decided against. It helped me so much to get a firm grasp on what I wanted to use, as did reading all the great reviews and discussions on the curriculum board.

"But, I will warn you that once I got it I couldn't wait to start SOTW and so I started it very gently when my kids were that age. They were both young readers and very ready for SOTW."

Mindy,

I am so glad you said this! It seems like we started with very similar situations, and I have wondered if I actually get TSoftW in my hot little hands if I would be able to resist starting with it! It's nice to know that it may be a good thing to actually start with it early. I would imagine that we would go through it thoroughly and slowly, too.