Menu

I need help with parental controls

Janeway

I am having trouble with parental controls. Son said he can't use stuff on Minecraft or Terraria, some stuff, when parental controls were on. So I turned the parental controls off and now I get lots of emails stating that he has an account on all these sites. The most recent one is a vape network. That just sounds wrong.

Can anyone help me with this?

Did you check and see what, specifically, can't be done on minecraft or terraria? Did you turn off all parental controls or just the ones for those sites?

I ask because back in the days when I was a volunteer breastfeeding counselor I had trouble accessing any site that has the word "breast" which wasn't helpful, LOL! DH set it so that I could always access anything on specific sites, but a search for "breast" wouldn't allow me to go just anywhere...

So, is the problem with the game, or someone wanting more unrestricted access?

I assume you are referring to windows family safety???

If so, we ran into an issue with Minecraft due to the java and other servers it needed to contact. DS has his gaming computer hooked up to the TV in the family room, so I just made a qustidio free account just for that computer. I <3<3<3 it. So easy to control. I would recommend that. 1 device, 1 user is free.  If you google, you'll find lots of people have issues with minecraft and family safety.

On our other PCs I just use the basic parental controls that are installed already under the control panel (win 7). It's a pain because it means I have to set time restrictions on each computer separately, but I dislike windows family safety (the online version where you go to the website). 

I think next time Qustidio has a 50% off sale, I might sign up for the paid version so I can control ALL the devices from my phone :).

If this is a teen boy, or a preteen boy, I'd bet dollars to donuts that he's doing all sorts of bad things on the internet.

I went through this with my boy . . . and I lived to regret giving up on parental controls. 

I would move the only computer your son is allowed to access into a public space. And I'd reinstall new parental controls. Or buy a new computer and hire a pro to set it up for you. 

Honestly. At any price! 

If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone computer-less before I'd let my young teens have unrestricted internet access. 

If he can't play minecraft, SO WHAT?

And search his stuff, room, etc for vaping paraphernalia. It's very easy to hide vaping . . .And buy some nicotine urine test strips off Amazon, and test him. I lived to regret not being more aggressive on this topic, too. 

Girls waste time on the internet . . . Boys find trouble on the internet . . . at least in my house, lol.

Just my 2c. Ignore it at your peril, however . . . 

• Like 4

I assume you are referring to windows family safety???

If so, we ran into an issue with Minecraft due to the java and other servers it needed to contact. DS has his gaming computer hooked up to the TV in the family room, so I just made a qustidio free account just for that computer. I <3<3<3 it. So easy to control. I would recommend that. 1 device, 1 user is free. If you google, you'll find lots of people have issues with minecraft and family safety.

On our other PCs I just use the basic parental controls that are installed already under the control panel (win 7). It's a pain because it means I have to set time restrictions on each computer separately, but I dislike windows family safety (the online version where you go to the website).

I think next time Qustidio has a 50% off sale, I might sign up for the paid version so I can control ALL the devices from my phone :).

Just an FYI, while I can control and change Qustodio things from my phone, sometimes it doesn't always save changes made via my phone, despite saying it did. Really not sure why that is, but it's happened a few times.

Just an FYI, while I can control and change Qustodio things from my phone, sometimes it doesn't always save changes made via my phone, despite saying it did. Really not sure why that is, but it's happened a few times.

I had this happen a time or 2. Are you using the app or your browser to access their page? I just contacted them and it was fixed in <24 hours.