Menu

Your favorite must see/do/eat in Paris...

FriedClams

I'd love your input!! Thank you in advance!

Travelers: Mom and a teen daughter who love adventure and are experienced travelers (metro won't be a problem). Pretty adventurous eater (daughter, not mom... LOL). Fairly cheap, but will splurge occasionally if it's worth it. Love local stuff, absorbing culture, but will definitely need to do the Eiffel Tower. No French speakers, but will swing some solid please and thank you. (Yikes!)

Is Versailles a reasonable day trip?

Any recommendations for areas to find a hotel/loft/etc.?

It's not haute cuisine, but it's pretty much a necessity to get a crepe at a street vendor in Paris.  :laugh:  The Nutella ones (with banana) are delicious, but they have other sweet or savory ones, too. 

Must spend some time at for me: Notre Dame, Sacre-Coeur (and surrounding streets with street art vendors), Musee national du Moyen Age, Musee D'Orsay, Jardin du Luxembourg, Musee Rodin, Musee de l'Orangerie.

Could take a miss: Versailles (because I prefer Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna a lot more), Louvre

Must see but don't not necessarily inside: Eiffel tour (see it at night, also go across the river), Arc de Triomphe

Enjoy your trip!!!

When we were there, the line to the top of the Eiffel Tower was much longer than the line to lower, but still high floors.  So we went to a lower floor and still had a beautiful view.  Also, get to the main tourist attractions very early, even before they open, to avoid standing in line as long.  Don't plan to roll in about noon.  :)  We went to the hill where the artists are (can't remember name) and it was lovely.  Also seeing Mona Lisa in person was good.  Seeing how small she really is is fascinating.  

Place l'Etoile, Arc de Triomphe, Sacre Coeur, all the museums mentioned above, les bouquinistes (booksellers along the Seine and the restaurant by the same name).

You should definitely eat at a boulangerie or at least buy something from one. Some serve on site, others just sell.

If you like castles, you can get to Versailles in one day but it will take a day out of the schedule.

Generally, it you go into smaller alleys and look for the proverbial "hole in the wall" establishments that tourists typically miss, you often can have a very interesting experience, culinarily and otherwise.  :)

All of the above.  LOL.  

Sacre Coeur, Montmartre, Musee d'Orsay, Notre Dame, l'Arc de Triumphe, the Metro (yes, that is worth seeing for itself...), the Champs de Elysee (walk it and other streets radiating from the Arc roundabout), the Opera House.  

One of the things I most enjoy about Paris is being *in* Paris.  I walked hours and hours a day, just being part of the life of the City.  I hope you have a wonderful time.

For eating, yes to a crepe from a street vendor.  If you eat pork, I remember the ham with an egg ones being good.    (I did when I lived there last.)

Hot Chocolate at Cafe Angelina near the Louvre is nice.

Poilane is famous for their bread.  You can get tartines (open faced sandwiches) made with their bread a lot of places.  

I love the Louvre....walking in the Jardins du Luxembourg.... Centre George Pompidou.... just riding the Metro.... etc.

It may seem weird, but Pere Lachaise is an interesting trip. (It's a cemetary.)

There's also the quartier Juif (Jewish).  I also liked the Arab World Museum (think that's what it was called.)  Wonderful sweet mint Moroccan tea in the cafe. :)  

How long will you be there? Look into a weekly pass for the metro.  

Yes...Versailles is a good day trip.

Let's see.... hotels....last time I was there, I stayed here, I believe.  It was nice, clean, and near the metro.   https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d233737-Reviews-Hotel_Le_Clos_Medicis-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Edited by umsami

This was 10 years ago, but we went to Versailles on a day they had the fountains/music running in the gardens--at the time I think it was every Sunday?.  That was one of my favorite days, actually.  Also loved the gardens at Giverny, but we went in May, so it was full of flowers.  We took a train/shuttle to both of those.

When we went we had some sort of Paris City Pass that we bought ahead of time that allowed us to skip the (sometimes very long) lines.  Definitely worth checking into.  

Liked the Notre Dame tour, and one of a smaller church quite close by it.  Also Louvre and Musee d'Orsee.  Missed Rodin, which I was sad about.