Menu

What would you hide? (re: pet sitting service)

Pegasus

Is there anything that you hide or lock up if you have services visit your home when you are not there?  We'll have a pet sitting service for a few days while we travel. We've met the woman that runs the service but she has assistants that are sometimes used when she is pressed for time so it is possible that a total stranger will have access to our home.

I'm not worried about our electronics and we have very little in the way of jewelry, etc.  However, I'm thinking about locking up our list of computer passwords and any medications that could be attractive.  Reasonable? Paranoid? 

DH is much more trusting than I am so just trying to get a feel for what folks in general do in these situations.

You should definitely not have a list of passwords around - unless they are coded and only understandable to you. In fact, no such list should exist at all.

Medications - yes, if it is something you can reasonably believe to have street value. No need to hide other drugs.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I would definetly hide our laptops, kindle and cell phones too.

Also creditcards, passports, id-cards and work related keys.

These are not lying around, free to see, but are easy accessible downstairs.

Everytime we spend a night elsewhere, we 'hide' these kind of stuff at illogical places.

And we don't even have a service at home :)

• Like 2

We've never locked up or hidden anything. But the pet sitter we use has been in business in our community for years and is licensed, bonded and insured.

Edited for clarification: We've never locked up anything that isn't normally locked up. Passports, birth certificates, extra credit cards, checkbooks and other important papers are always kept in a fireproof lock box.

Edited by Pawz4me

You should definitely not have a list of passwords around - unless they are coded and only understandable to you. In fact, no such list should exist at all.

Medications - yes, if it is something you can reasonably believe to have street value. No need to hide other drugs.

:) Happily I can have such a list, since not having it has lead to frustration. I would never lock up my list because, ... it the various passwords are written on the wall beside my computer. 

(Mind you these are not what I would call important passwords, no bank, or password that leads to credit card information). I know it isn't the proper thing to do, but I totally trust everyone in my house not to make mischief if they know the password to my boys prodigy stuff, or AOPS stuff, or our Duolingo stuff, or minecraft stuff...

We would hide the passwords, lock up the meds (we have these cool locking cabinets inside our Med cabinets - I think they are from Lowes), lock up any firearms (we don't have them, but would if we did), and I'd just leave the jewelry, little valuables where I keep them - they aren't in an obvious spot or in display.

We've had maids, house sitters, workers in and out a lot while we have been out. Nothing has ever been taken, that I know of. :)