Menu

Is there anything over the counter to numb the skin for shots?

katilac

Are you referring to Lidocaina Clorhidrato 2%  ?     I'm not sure if that is "over the counter" where you live, but I am guessing that it can be used to numb the skin for shots.  Probably works best if you wait awhile, between applying the ointment and giving the shot.  

• Like 1

We used aspercreme maximum strength for shots and blood draws. I was told by a nurse to just avoid anything containing menthol or capsican(sp?) as those would irritate the puncture possibly. The one I get is just 4% lidocaine.

Great, I was hoping someone had experience using that! 

LMX.

You don't put it on a puncture wound, but you can put it on where you will get a puncture wound.

Ha, that was my question exactly, thank you! 

DD has Type 1 diabetes. She's not on shots anymore, but whenever we change her infusion set we just use ice to numb her a bit before the big needle goes in.

Maybe I will put on lidocaine at home and then bring a gel ice pack with us. The more remedies, the better.

This is actually for a blood test, which she has never had, and I can't remember if they hurt more or less than shots. She's mightily phobic, but also has insanely sensitive skin. When she was a toddler, I did the "rip off the bandaid" thing, and it ripped skin off as well. It took weeks to heal. So, I believe her when she says shots actually do hurt quite a bit.