Menu

Losing weight with Depo shot?

Joker

Does anyone here know of someone losing weight after starting the Depo birth control shot? Oldest (17) has suddenly started losing weight and the only change is the shot. Everything I look at says it should be the opposite but we're looking at a 6 pound weight loss in about six weeks since the second shot. We're doing blood work this week and monitoring it but the doctor really doesn't think it could be the Depo.

Haha, no I have never heard of that being a side-effect. I guess it possible, hormones can do crazy things. It totally screwed me up and led to about 30 lbs of weight gain over 2 years time(not to mention depression). I was able to lose it and maintain that lose after going off but I was never quite the same as before.

Edited by soror

I gained weight, got cystic acne and was infertile for a few years until it wore off. I have never heard of anyone losing weight on it, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.

Hope you find some answers!

I had a similar experience with secondary infertility, plus a period that lasted two months, both attributed to ONE depo shot.

OP, there can be many side affect aside from those listed as "typical." I actually lost weight after going on BCPs, which many friends told me was the opposite of their experience of gaining weight.

I gained 20 lbs and had a child with a birth defect after being on depo. The defect could absolutely be unrelated, but I could never shake the feeling that it might have been connected.

Also, wasn't there a study that showed permanent bone mass loss for women who went on depo?

Not to be a Debbie downer, but it would be almost my last choice for birth control.

Nope, never heard of weight loss, but anything is possible.

• Like 3

I gained 20 lbs and had a child with a birth defect after being on depo. The defect could absolutely be unrelated, but I could never shake the feeling that it might have been connected.

Also, wasn't there a study that showed permanent bone mass loss for women who went on depo?

Not to be a Debbie downer, but it would be almost my last choice for birth control.

Nope, never heard of weight loss, but anything is possible.

Every time I talk about Depo it is a near immediate reaction to add on- from the evil from the Devil. 

Depo and BC both did that for me. But dr.'s like to act like there are no side effects to BC, it's bull**it.

Yep.  They list that as a "minor" side effect.  Whatever...nothing minor about depression.  :glare:

I never took BC again after that (I was 22 at that point).  I never had any luck with any of them.  Depo was particularly bad.

Although the one good side effect was not having periods ever.  That was great.  If it didn't depress me, I'd take it just for that reason.