Menu

I need to drop my DS Spanish Class, what would you do?

I'm so glad I found a similar thread on this forum that explains exactly what my DS has been struggling with in a certain online Spanish class! I came on the board after months of being away because my son is having a horrible time in his Honors Spanish II. He is a solid student with a good work ethic, and he just can't seem to catch a break with the teacher. I thought at first it was that my DS was not quite at the level he needed to be for Honors Spanish II, even though he tested into it through our public HS. I paid for tutoring sessions at $80/hour! Then finally dropped him down to Spanish I, and he is still having problems! I am so frustrated, we are well over $1,000 into the class and I don't feel like he is getting anything out of it and want to switch.

My DS said the teacher virtually "strangles" them when they frustrate him, which I played off as him joking, but it was embarrassing to my DS. He has been spending 6-8 hours a week on Spanish and not getting anywhere. He emails continuously to ask specific questions and doesn't really get answers. He wakes up Tuesday morning dreading the day because he has Spanish that afternoon. I'm not sure what to do from here. I'd really like to pull him, but then I have 1/2 year to come up with a Spanish class after spending lots of $$ on this one. 

Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Thank you! 

Easy Peasy Spanish is free.

https://allinonehighschool.com/spanish-2-2/

He could start the Spanish 2 class and go at his own pace (an hour a day, not just a lesson a day). Add 45 - 60 min a week of italki (pretty inexpensive for just conversation practice $8-15) to round out your school year.

Homeschool Spanish Academy is an option for next year if he wants to continue. There are also other providers for Span 3.

Since you sunk so much into it this year, I'd go for inexpensive plus conversation practice.

Edited to add cut and paste for Easy Peasy. Also, I am sorry he is having such a bad experience. No one should have that and I think everyone is shocked to hear that it is happening.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 2

Are there any local co-ops or homeschooling groups who perhaps have a Spanish II class and could take your ds in for the 2nd semester?

That's what we did this year. We don't really "do" homeschool co-ops, but after that experience with the Spanish, I wasn't going to spend another $800+ on a foreign language class for Spanish. For *us* the homeschool co-op is working out great. Still not as much speaking as I would prefer (I keep meaning to find a local tutor for that, but it slips my mind) - but they're solid on the grammar and vocabulary that they weren't getting last year.

DD dreaded her classes too, fwiw. Hers were early in the morning, but the night before was always so, so stressful because she dreaded it SO much.

I have no personal experience with the Spanish 1 or 2 classes at FundaFunda, but my son took Travel Spanish (introductory Spanish) with them last summer and he enjoyed it a lot. Their Spanish classes cost $184 per semester, so probably more than you want to invest in another class, but I know the teacher is friendly and kind, and she was very patient with my DS. She's a native speaker with years of teaching experience. Her name is Ms. Suzette Laporte-Ayo and she teaches all of FundaFunda's Spanish classes, at least as of last summer and currently. I got the impression that she's very willing to work with her students on correct placement. Might be worth a conversation with her to see if your son could place into one of her classes after the winter break. Her email per the website is suzette@fundafunda.com. Maybe worth a shot?  Here's a link to the courses page: http://www.fundafundaacademy.com/product-category/semester/

(My son has now taken four classes with FundaFunda and we really like them.)

Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for. Hugs to you and especially to your son. Sounds like he's miserable and so stressed out and I feel badly for him.

:grouphug:

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

I'm so glad I found a similar thread on this forum that explains exactly what my DS has been struggling with in a certain online Spanish class! I came on the board after months of being away because my son is having a horrible time in his Honors Spanish II. He is a solid student with a good work ethic, and he just can't seem to catch a break with the teacher. I thought at first it was that my DS was not quite at the level he needed to be for Honors Spanish II, even though he tested into it through our public HS. I paid for tutoring sessions at $80/hour! Then finally dropped him down to Spanish I, and he is still having problems! I am so frustrated, we are well over $1,000 into the class and I don't feel like he is getting anything out of it and want to switch.

My DS said the teacher virtually "strangles" them when they frustrate him, which I played off as him joking, but it was embarrassing to my DS. He has been spending 6-8 hours a week on Spanish and not getting anywhere. He emails continuously to ask specific questions and doesn't really get answers. He wakes up Tuesday morning dreading the day because he has Spanish that afternoon. I'm not sure what to do from here. I'd really like to pull him, but then I have 1/2 year to come up with a Spanish class after spending lots of $$ on this one.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Thank you!

I don't have suggestions for a teaching class, but to continue speaking practice I have a free conversation class on Virtual Homeschool Group. It has rolling enrollment. Since students are studying from different sources, there is a range of abilities. I help with vocabulary, grammar, etc.

• Like 8

I don't have suggestions for a teaching class, but to continue speaking practice I have a free conversation class on Virtual Homeschool Group. It has rolling enrollment. Since students are studying from different sources, there is a range of abilities. I help with vocabulary, grammar, etc.

Renai, that is really cool.  The opportunity to practice conversation is so critical

My ds took two years of Spanish at our high school and then he worked with a tutor who also had online classes (recommended by boardies) for the remaining two years.  The emphasis was predominantly on conversational skills.  Ds is now a freshman in college and just completed a 300 level class that he was disappointed in. He liked the professor, but said that there was very little conversation practice even though the class is conducted in Spanish.  He's decided that his previous instructor is his "gold standard" for language instruction.  My niece graduated with a minor in Spanish, but was very frustrated with the overall process because she studied for 7 years and her conversational skills are not great.

• Like 2

Would this be appropriate for a student in Spanish 4? Can she just signup on the website and drop in when classes resume in January?

Yes and yes. It is considered a drop-in class, but there is a core of about 3-4 students who show up consistently to practice speaking. There are also beginners that are still practicing the foundational conversation language, or still in the listening stage. When there is a large disparity between abilities that prevent participation, I use breakout rooms. I've only had to do that once or twice this past semester.

The more speaking partners there are, the better the practice. Students carry the conversation, and determine the themes to talk about. I provide resources for more practice on the course page, divided by themes (that the students have decided upon). I facilitate some, but want the students to have a community of free conversation and helping one another.  This is my second year doing the class through VHG and have found the students speak more when I turn off my mic and provide the resources for them to carry on the conversation (through the chat or the whiteboard).

• Like 2

Renai, that is really cool.  The opportunity to practice conversation is so critical

My ds took two years of Spanish at our high school and then he worked with a tutor who also had online classes (recommended by boardies) for the remaining two years.  The emphasis was predominantly on conversational skills.  Ds is now a freshman in college and just completed a 300 level class that he was disappointed in. He liked the professor, but said that there was very little conversation practice even though the class is conducted in Spanish.  He's decided that his previous instructor is his "gold standard" for language instruction.  My niece graduated with a minor in Spanish, but was very frustrated with the overall process because she studied for 7 years and her conversational skills are not great.

This was the reason I started the class last school year. I remember learning Spanish in college, and a year later meeting my Spanish-speaking husband and not being able to hold a conversation. I tell people that the universal sign of not understanding is "smiling and nodding." That is my story of how I became my dh and I got together; he asked if I would be his girlfriend, and I was still smiling and nodding. :laugh:  Living in a bilingual household for the past 18 years has fixed that!

I figured that there are homeschooled students that also do not have the opportunity to practice what they are learning through books. Listening and responding to spoken Spanish is such a key to fluency. It is one thing to read it in a book (or even hear it on tv), and another to hear it spoken and being expected to respond.

I try to encourage the students to speak what they know; even Spanglish or Englañol. :tongue_smilie:  We'll help fill in those blanks. But, by golly, speak.

• Like 3

This was the reason I started the class last school year. I remember learning Spanish in college, and a year later meeting my Spanish-speaking husband and not being able to hold a conversation. I tell people that the universal sign of not understanding is "smiling and nodding." That is my story of how I became my dh and I got together; he asked if I would be his girlfriend, and I was still smiling and nodding. :laugh: Living in a bilingual household for the past 18 years has fixed that!

:lol: Can't wait to tell my dd this story! Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your help! I have a lot of options to research over holiday break! I think telling my DS that we were dropping this Spanish class was the best Christmas present he received. He used to come home from public school talking up a storm in Spanish, it was exciting and interesting to him. Now we never hear him speak it, it's quite sad. I think a fun conversational class is where we will start to rekindle that flame. Thank you.

• Like 2