Menu

Can anyone explain girls half sizes to me?

My dd is about 5'2", 90 lbs. I bought her new jeans this fall. They are size 14 and long enough for her, but otherwise pretty roomy around. She is okay with this because she doesn't like tight-fitting clothes, and they have an elastic waist so I can make them tight enough so they don't fall down.

One of my relatives said I should be buying her "half size" jeans, specifically either 10 1/2 or 12 1/2. I have never tried them on her, because the place I bought her jeans had only "whole" sizes. She doesn't like to shop, but if you all think they would fit better than 14, we will journey forth in search of half sizes.

Usually the half sizes are for children who don't need the added length but need a little more room in the waist etc. Usually I've seen kids sizes as slim, regular and in half sizes (or husky sizes for boys). If I'm understanding you correctly it sounds to me like your dd has the opposite problem.

Your dd would probably be able to fit into junior sizes. Once my daughters were close to 5 feet tall they were no longer able to fit into kid's size clothing.

For instance my 16 year old dd is 90 pounds and about 5-1. The waist on the girl's size 12 fit her but the hips are too small and they are a little short on her. The 14's fit lengthwise but the waist is too big. Junior size clothing has smaller waist sizes. She wears a junior size 0 or 1.

1/2 sizes are "plus" sizes. Some brands make a "slender," though you see it more in boys than girls.

Dd is about 5'4" and 95 lbs. All of her pants of whatever size are too big around. She doesn't have much in the way of hips yet, so the juniors don't fit her either.

We've started collecting interesting belts.

Yup, more like a plus size.

My growth challenged DD was in 4 pluses for a bit - she needed a bit more room around than the 4's, but the 5's were too long.

The oldest is hanging in size 12's - she needs some new jeans, but her Orthopedic agrees - she's on the brink of a growth spurt. UGH. Guess i'll be buying her Christmas clothes very close to Christmas. Of course, i saw some i wanted to get her NOW, maybe i should bit the bullet and buy a 14?

ANYWAY, i can't imagine putting that child in a plus/half size (and she's about the size size as your DD) they'd fall off her!

It sounds like your dd would fit into junior sizing better than girls. Try a sizes 0, 1 or 3 in juniors. It will have a smaller waist. After size 12 in girls I would shop juniors unless you are trying to keep her clothes very young looking. I'm a very small adult and I can wear a 16 in girls, a 5 in juniors or a 2 in ladies.

Thank you, ladies! I had not thought about junior sizes for my dd (she is only just turning 11, quite tall for her age and is starting to noticeably develop). I hope there are some junior size jeans/pants that are not too low-waisted (another of her dislikes) but I can always look at the junior sizes at the thrift store, now that I know to look in that department for her.

Thank you, ladies! I had not thought about junior sizes for my dd (she is only just turning 11, quite tall for her age and is starting to noticeably develop). I hope there are some junior size jeans/pants that are not too low-waisted (another of her dislikes) but I can always look at the junior sizes at the thrift store, now that I know to look in that department for her.

Do we have the same child? She has to sit down in them to make sure they are roomy enough! LOL!!

DD really likes the way the Target Circa jeans fit. But we are still in the 12 - i'll have to keep in mind we might need to jump over this next size. UGH, such fun in the dressing room with her...

Mine is developed (started her period about a year ago), so they are sitting right on her "curves" so far.

Another thought if you don't want to do Juniors, or if you or she prefer a more classic/less trendy look is to look for Petites in the ladies' department. My daughter had a similar figure at that age...tall, slim, and developing. I was able to order her some nice tops and jeans from Lands End in their petite sizes. In fact they were often things from the Overstocks section because the "Extra Small-Petite" size apparently wasn't highly in demand.

Edited by SapphireStitch
confusing sentence structure

Old Navy has a new style of "regular rise" jeans. I just say them yesterday at Old Navy.

• 1 year later...
Guest Emma Jean Dudney
My dd is about 5'2", 90 lbs. I bought her new jeans this fall. They are size 14 and long enough for her, but otherwise pretty roomy around. She is okay with this because she doesn't like tight-fitting clothes, and they have an elastic waist so I can make them tight enough so they don't fall down.

One of my relatives said I should be buying her "half size" jeans, specifically either 10 1/2 or 12 1/2. I have never tried them on her, because the place I bought her jeans had only "whole" sizes. She doesn't like to shop, but if you all think they would fit better than 14, we will journey forth in search of half sizes.

Girls plus or half sizes are styled for young girls that have a fuller figure. When girls size 7 to 16 are too tight then you need a girls plus size. Some manufacturers may start with 8.5. Usually they run 10.5, 12.5, 14.5, 16.5, 18.5, and 20.5. I try to stock a wide selection of these dresses. They are difficult to find because few manufacturers will make them. I post measurements for most of these dresses to make it easier for moms to decide on the best size to select. To see my selection go to: www.emmajeanstreasures.com/ .

Girls plus or half sizes are styled for young girls that have a fuller figure. When girls size 7 to 16 are too tight then you need a girls plus size. Some manufacturers may start with 8.5. Usually they run 10.5, 12.5, 14.5, 16.5, 18.5, and 20.5. I try to stock a wide selection of these dresses. They are difficult to find because few manufacturers will make them. I post measurements for most of these dresses to make it easier for moms to decide on the best size to select. To see my selection go to: www.emmajeanstreasures.com/ .

One post, and it's an advertisement? :001_huh:

astrid

1/2 sizes are "plus" sizes. Some brands make a "slender," though you see it more in boys than girls.

Dd is about 5'4" and 95 lbs. All of her pants of whatever size are too big around. She doesn't have much in the way of hips yet, so the juniors don't fit her either.

We've started collecting interesting belts.

My dd is 5' 7'', and 95 lbs. She's in a junior size 0 (up from a 00, which is what she wore last year). Have you found size 00 or 0 where you shop? They have very small hips.