Menu

Working & homeschooling....

Prairie~Phlox

I already work part-rime, only about 10-15 hours/week. It's a flexible job, but not my forever job. I just had an interview for a part time dream job using my BS & in a few years potentially leading to a full time position. It's a little flexible, but would def be ~20- no more than 29/week. My youngest is 15 & I also have a 17 yo at home that will graduate in a year. I have a three year year plan to go back to work full time & this could get me where I want to be. Just thinking about it though, I don't know, it seems overwhelming. Anyone made something like this work. The pay would almost be double what I'm currently making & I mainly applied to see if I'd get an interview on my resume & for the experience interviewing.

I'm a nurse and work 2 night shifts a week which is about 24 hrs. I've got one in college but the other two are 13 and 11. It's doable but sometimes I'm really tired. We have a really good routine that keeps the kids on track for school and getting the housework done. The kids know that my job allows them to have some fun extras. They also know that we are a family and have to work together to get this thing called life done. I wouldn't be able to work like I do and get them to their activities without their help.

With all the changes that has gone in my life in the past 2 years, I've increased my work schedule from 2 to 3 long days. My girls are 14 and 11, need to update my sig. ;) We've needed the income and with more changes coming, (DH making a career change that might not have insurance), I might have to go to 4 days. I'll be following this thread. I don't feel like I'm in the school groove with my new schedule.

I've been doing this for a few years too. I started with evenings and 10 hours a week but now I work closer to 20. We've had to build a nice routine and I've worked with them on personal responsibility and time management. It's so hard to balance everything and I feel bad when I leave the house. But we depend on the income I make.

The big thing to make it work is routine, everyone pitching in to keep the house in order, and having back-up in case the kids need to go somewhere while I'm at work. A flexible job schedule also helps. I work mainly evenings and weekends but it's like I work all the time because mornings to afternoons is school time, then chores before I leave and then I'm home around dinner time. The only day we all have "free" is Sundays so we spend that day as a family resting and recharging for the next round.

I already work part-rime, only about 10-15 hours/week. It's a flexible job, but not my forever job. I just had an interview for a part time dream job using my BS & in a few years potentially leading to a full time position. It's a little flexible, but would def be ~20- no more than 29/week. My youngest is 15 & I also have a 17 yo at home that will graduate in a year. I have a three year year plan to go back to work full time & this could get me where I want to be. Just thinking about it though, I don't know, it seems overwhelming. Anyone made something like this work. The pay would almost be double what I'm currently making & I mainly applied to see if I'd get an interview on my resume & for the experience interviewing.

I made it work, and depending on my job (how hard I worked), it was sometimes overwhelming. However, truly by the grace of God, my kids seemed to pull it together and work independently with very little help from me. I started working two full days a week and went to three days when my youngest hit high school. It wasn't my first choice, but they were jobs that were pretty flexible, paid well for part time, and in general fit with our schedule.

You need to be really motivated to stay on top of what your kids are doing. There were periods of time when that was easier and periods when it was quite challenging, and I did a lousy job. We (they) didn't finish up a lot of things, but they spent enough time learning other things on their own that rounded everything out.

With one of my kids, it helped our relationship tremendously, just that time that we were apart and gave each other some breathing room.