Menu

Suggest an easy gf/df packed lunch please?

SamanthaCarter

My dh is gluten free, but we're not strict as a family, so we're not great about cross-contamination, etc.  

I pack a lot of hummus.  :)  Hummus and rice cakes, celery, carrots is a normal thing.  Pimento cheese works, too.  Meat, cheese, and rice or nut crackers to make a lunchable.  Peanut butter on rice cakes works, too.  

• Like 1

1. Romaine lettuce leaves to wrap around the lunch meat. Sliced apples, baby carrots, and celery sticks with a peanut butter and honey mix dipping sauce. Lay's type chips

2. Chef salad (diced ham or turkey, boiled eggs, diced tomatoes, shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers) with simple homemade dressing (such as EVOO, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic powder, basil). If you have GF bread, you can easily make GF croutons by cubing the bread, mixing in olive oil and seasonings, and bake a short time.

• Like 1

Wrap anything gf df you would serve in a lettuce leaf. I often pack sliced avocado wrapped in ham slathered with mustard in an iceberg lettuce leaf for packed lunches. Several of the. Lots of ham if I am particularly hungry.

I don't know because I usually go super simple for myself, but I just want to mention that often gf/df foods don't have a lot of fat.  If I'm not paying attention to that, I can get pretty hungry.  A regular sandwich is going to have cheese, or oil or something that bumps up the fat.  Well, and when you take away bread and cheese (or other dairy), you've lost a lot of calories.  A sandwich on a lettuce leaf, minus cheese, is WAY fewer calories than one on bread with cheese.  

• Like 2