Menu

Who is into 3D printing?

maize

We built a 3D printer from a kit this summer (similar to this one http://www.wish.com/m/c/58214af8637beb468705a651?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=pla1&gclid=CJy2xbumytACFYM6gQodoGUN8g )

We've used it for a few projects downloaded from others' designs, and the kids have made a few simple designs of their own (currently working on a chess set) using tinkercad. We'd like to do more, I thought I'd ask in case anyone on here has great resources or tutorials or anything 3d print related to share.

• Like 1

Wow! They really have become affordable! How much do you have to pay for consumables?

We'd like to do more, I thought I'd ask in case anyone on here has great resources or tutorials or anything 3d print related to share.

We don't have one, but here are some links to resources. (I'm sure you have all of these, but perhaps some of these links will interest others):

Reviews of some 3D printers:

3D Printer Reviews

Place to get printer files:

Thingiverse

Something interesting to print:

Octopus with articulated arms

Here's a company which printed a car:

Local Motors

Not big enough? How about a 3D-printed rocket motor:

Still not big enough?

3D-Printed Two-Story House

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm looking at this 3D printer kit for $156 plus shipping (cyber-Monday deal). The reviews are fairly positive. Thoughts?

ETA: The Q&A indicates the software does not support Windows 10.

Hey Reg, did you ever get this printer.  I've been looking at 3d printers for the past 3 X-Mas for the 12 y.o. old.  Will probably pull the trigger this year. Running out of gift ideas.  Price is now $139.  How do you like it?

We (ok, ds’s robotics team) use them for manufacturing robotics parts, much cheaper and quicker way to get specific parts we need than ordering from China.

Wow. I cannot even wrap my head around this. You can actually "manufacture" a robotic piece?

My DS23 ( aerospace engineer) uses them to make moulds for making drone parts, parts for friends for their inventions, name plaques , cookie cutters for relatives as a gifts etc. He uses it all the time. BUT he is right into this sort of thing. He is currently working on a completely new software program for 3D printers that has more accuracy for mid range consumers.

• Like 1