Menu

Sweet Potato Casserole - make ahead to bake later or fully bake and re-heat?

Lady Florida.

11 members have voted

1. 1. How should I do the sweet potato casserole?

• Make ahead today and fully bake at the host's house tomorrow.
    • Bake it fully today and just re-heat it at the host's house tomorrow.
    • Make ahead today and bake it at home tomorrow before you leave. Try to keep it warm in the car.
    • Mmmm. Sweet potatoes.
    • Standard Other

One of the things I'm bringing to our Thanksgiving gathering (which is tomorrow for us due to dss' work schedule) is my sweet potato casserole. They live an hour away and we're leaving around 10:30 but dinner isn't until 2. Only one oven is available but we might be able to juggle some items after the turkey comes out, while it rests. 

I would not count on the host's oven. They're probably stressed enough with the stuff they have going. I'd prep today, bake tomorrow, and insulate the food with a hot pack for the drive over. I just bought a casserole carrier this year for my own hour-long-drive-with-hot-food. In the past I've used a cooler and some foil-wrapped hot rocks, or beach towels and a laundry basket. It'll continue to cook a little bit during the drive, so feel free to pull it from the oven a little sooner than normal.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies. I think I'll choose make ahead today and bake it at home tomorrow before we leave. My main concern was not so much the one hour drive but that we'll be there for several hours before it's time to eat. If we leave here at 10:30 I have to take it out of the oven in time to wrap it for travel. And we're not eating until around 2:00. Hopefully I can pack it so it stays warm. 

• Like 1