Menu

Stovetop pressure cookers, recommendations....

Prairie~Phlox

I pressure can with no problems, I grew up with my mom pressure cooking & canning, but I've always used a slow cooker for cooking. With all this instant pit crave, I really wanted one, but dh said the chance of it having problems & going bad are much greater than a stove top, which is true. Recently I borrowed my mom's 4 quart & started using it. Now I want a larger one, possibility stainless steel, any suggestions? Hers is really old & has no safety features, which to me are important. Thanks.

Has anyone not gone electric & use a stovetop one? Any good recipes or recipe books?

• Like 1

Our Pressure Cooker is a "UNIVERSAL" made here in Colombia. My wife uses it *very* frequently. Their products are very high quality. It has safety features (a little gasket in the lid), and a gasket that seals all the way around the lid when you put the lid onto the base. And the thing that spins around on the top.  You MUST confirm that you can see from the top through to the bottom of the lid, before you put the thing that spins around onto it.  I think our pressure cooker was purchased in 1997 or 1998. It should last another 30 or 40 years. Be careful. ALWAYS follow all safety precautions when using a Pressure Cooker.  Our stove is gas (a Propane tank outside the house supplies the gas).  

There is a chance of it going bad, but most don't.

The joy of an electric PC is that you can set it and walk away. No need for constant monitoring like a stovetop model. IMHO, worth the extra money (and this is when you an get the best deals on them.)

If you do decide to go stovetop, definitely get a new one that is compliant with all current safety code and has a new gasket and pressure relief valve.

• Like 1

I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/Fagor-10-Quart-Pressure-Cooker-Canner/dp/B0000CFH7X/ref=sr_1_24?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1479478176&sr=1-24&keywords=pressure+canner

I bought it because it can do small batches of canning or can be used for cooking.  I've been pretty happy with it although I don't use it a ton.  I normally cook huge batches of things and repurpose the leftovers and I'm just never sure how much I can safely put in it at one time.  But I did use it to make the lentil risotto recipe that someone had linked recently and it was fabulous. So I know the pressure cooking will be coming out again soon because I really want more of it.

The best pressure cooker imo is the Indian brand - Prestige.  Used by millions everyday.  You local Indian grocery store will stock there.  In different sizes and shapes.  In stainless steel.

I have the Instant Pot.  And Prestige prestige cookers in various sizes and shapes.  My pressure "pan" - smallest available gets uses every day.  Its small and very easy to clean.  The electric pressure are more bulky and not easy to clean.

With a traditional stove top old fashion Pressure Cooker like the Universal we have, my wife gave DD and me a short course on how to use it, safely, a few weeks ago.  I think the MOST important thing one needs to do, before using the Pressure Cooker, is to look through the tube in the lid. You MUST be able to see through the tube. If not, clean it out, so there is no obstruction. Then, you can put the little gizmo that spins around on top of the lid on.    Ours has a tiny rubber grommet (about 1/2" diameter?) in the lid for safety and it has a gasket that goes around the lid when it is placed onto the base.  I think in the approximately 18 years that we've had it, I bought one gasket for it and possibly a new grommet.  Our Pressure Cooker (Universal) was made here in Colombia, so spare parts are available everywhere for them.  

Our Lunch is not ready yet. Waiting for the Garbanzo beans which are in the Pressure Cooker on top of the stove.  I noticed that the thing on top doesn't spin around as I thought it did. At least I do not think it spins around. It hisses when the steam is escaping and that's when to turn the burner off.    One needs to verify the hole is open, that nothing is obstructing it, so the steam can escape, or it could be deadly.