Menu

Do you like self-checkouts for small amounts of items?

Tap

Do you like self checkouts?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like self checkouts for small amounts of simple to scan items?

• I prefer them, and use them often
    • I will use them if it is faster/easier than waiting, but still prefer having a cashier
    • I really prefer a cashier, but will use them begrudgingly for a quicker checkout.
    • I do not use them
    • Other...

Anyway, just a little compare/contrast for the day.

Guess which type I shop at most of the time?  (Hint:  Many working there remember when my college boys were small enough to ride in the carts.  Others I know from school.)  That store just got bought out by another local chain.  Thankfully, they kept many of the same employees.

Even at Wally World (here), it's very rare that I go in/out and not meet folks I know.  I suppose that's a perk of being rural and working in  one of the local schools for years.

When we travel - esp toward larger population areas - I experience some of the other types you mention.  I rarely have good vibes leaving those stores. They aren't always clean either (both of the stores I love are).  I can say we love Wegmans and Whole Foods when we travel - even in larger cities.  We'll seek those out over other options.

I will not use them - ever. Ok, I think I did once, but only because we were in a hurry or something. I try to put the experience out of my memory. :lol: (Nothing went wrong - it just seemed so wrong to me.)

I prefer to keep jobs and I love the small talk with the cashiers when it happens (doesn't always). I'll stand in a long line to avoid self checkout - as apparently do many others around me. I suppose it's as close as I can get to more traditional markets?

If a store ever went to self checkout only, I'd switch where I shopped.

ps I also bag my own groceries everywhere except Walmart where they make it tough to do so.

I prefer jobs too. That said, the local Walmart will.not.hire. the average check out time was 35-45 minutes for years before installing self checkouts due to customer complaints. When the article on it came out in the local paper - at the time our county unemployment rate was 22% - the quote from the regional director was to the effect of "use them or don't but there will be no new hires of cashiers at this store". The end. And though Walmart business grew at that location as a plethora of mom and pop shops went under because the economy was so bad, not a soul was hired. Nine years later though their sales increased by one third, the number of employees working there as not grown by a single body. Additionally, management and the tire center positions are the only full time jobs with benefits.

Since Target treats their employees and customers better by leaps and bounds, I save as much as I can for the city. No self checkouts at Target, and I am always waited on by a smiling, courteous staff. Doing as much as I can at Target and other stores with better practices is my way of voting with my feet and pocketbook. I wish more people locally felt strongly about supporting better companies. If Target gets self checkouts, I am going to be furious!

I tried the Sams app today. I LOVE IT! It scans your items quickly and easily. Dh thought we still had to go to the register and show my phone receipt, and was really impressed when I said we could just show it to the person at the door.

I can't wait to try this. Is there a limit to how many products? I do a big shop at SAMs for my boss once a month or so and I would LOVE to avoid the lines.

And to everyone who hates the self check outs due to so many errors and issues I would like to say my small town Wal mart just installed new ones and there are almost none of the issues. There is a hand held scanner for bigger items, the counter is bigger, it takes coupons, and I have yet to be asked if I want to skip bagging. There is a cashier in the middle of the self checks watching people pretty closely. But I don't think she is clearing the screen when I don't bag something or something is lightweight. So improvements have definitely been made.

We have one of those wal marts that begins checking everyone's receipt from thanksgiving to New Years....we apparently have a notoriously thieving store......so I am anxious to see how that plays out with scrutiny of the self check outs....I also am using the new Wal Mart pay on my phone.....,I keep wondering if they will ask for my receipt!

I prefer jobs too. That said, the local Walmart will.not.hire. the average check out time was 35-45 minutes for years before installing self checkouts due to customer complaints. When the article on it came out in the local paper - at the time our county unemployment rate was 22% - the quote from the regional director was to the effect of "use them or don't but there will be no new hires of cashiers at this store". The end. And though Walmart business grew at that location as a plethora of mom and pop shops went under because the economy was so bad, not a soul was hired. Nine years later though their sales increased by one third, the number of employees working there as not grown by a single body. Additionally, management and the tire center positions are the only full time jobs with benefits.

Since Target treats their employees and customers better by leaps and bounds, I save as much as I can for the city. No self checkouts at Target, and I am always waited on by a smiling, courteous staff. Doing as much as I can at Target and other stores with better practices is my way of voting with my feet and pocketbook. I wish more people locally felt strongly about supporting better companies. If Target gets self checkouts, I am going to be furious!

Walmarts/Targets definitely vary by store or region.  I love our Walmart.  I won't go in Target.  Looking at the parking lots of each at any given time, I'm in the majority. Sometimes I wonder how Target stays in business.   Knowing employees at Walmart, they are definitely content or pleased with where they work.

But in our travels I've also been in the type of Walmart you're describing.  If I lived near one of those I'd stay away.  In our travels we'll stay away from any we've had a negative experience with.

But in our travels I've also been in the type of Walmart you're describing.  If I lived near one of those I'd stay away.  In our travels we'll stay away from any we've had a negative experience with.

Us too. It is amazing how little continuity there can be from one region to another within a national company!

• Like 1

I can't wait to try this. Is there a limit to how many products? I do a big shop at SAMs for my boss once a month or so and I would LOVE to avoid the lines.

I don't know about the number. We only stopped in for a few things on our way home, so I thought it would be a good time to try it. The lady at the door counted our items. I was skeptical because scanning apps can be notoriously fussy about how you hold the phone. This one did a great job, even on frozen items that had some condensation on them - that's sometimes a problem with the self pay registers.