Menu

MUS Algebra or Teaching Textbooks Algebra

buttercup

For my son who is struggling math student, taking Algebra 1 in 10th grade, which would you use?   We are plodding through BJU Algebra 1 online, but he does not seem to totally master the concepts.  He does okay with the problems in the beginning of the lesson but as the problems get progressively more difficult in a single sitting of a lesson, he gets totally stumped.  Math can take upwards to 2 1/2 hours.  While I do believe math is an important subject, we have so many other subjects to cover and just can't justify spending that much time on math, especially when Biology takes him a long time as well.  He has spina bifida so each day is spent on some self-care procedures that time an hour or so of time.  Also, he does desire to entire the science field.  I am okay if he has to take some remedial math classes in college to reach his goal though.

• Like 1

How solid is he on fractions/decimals/percents ? Where is he tripping up?

Could you give him the placement test for TT and MUS going back a few levels then moving forward to make sure there are no serious gaps?

If he has serious gaps in certain areas I would solidify those before continuing with Algebra, whatever program you choose.

• Like 1

I prefer MUS.  There is a limited problem set (usually 20 per lesson), it is off-line (so you can't fake passing), and it's relatively inexpensive.  I would do both Algebra I and Algebra II with MUS over the course of his high school career as I feel MUS covers fewer topics than is typical in Algebra I.  It is entirely adequate, just ordered differently. 

• Like 1

Thanks! He is pretty solid on fractions, decimals, and percents.  The things he struggles with is the longer procedures required in algebra.  There is a lot of critical thinking involved in algebra and especially in BJU algebra right now for him and that has been a weakness for him, especially when it comes to translating story problems into equations in algebra.  It seems that the problems in the lesson really ramp up quickly in difficulty and some of the more difficult kinds of problems are not taught during the online lesson time or in the book.  So unless the student has a really mathematical mind they will struggle at trying to figure out how to tackle some problems.

My daughter is in her senior year, but struggles with ASD and dyslexia. I wonder if we'll EVER get through Algebra! 

So I'm interested to see what you decide.

My son is technically 7th grade age but plodding along in MUS Delta because he used to argue so much about doing his math.

Now he's convinced himself he 'can't' do it before he even begins. But if I have his sister be his teacher, he does better, mostly.

Thanks! He is pretty solid on fractions, decimals, and percents.  The things he struggles with is the longer procedures required in algebra.  There is a lot of critical thinking involved in algebra and especially in BJU algebra right now for him and that has been a weakness for him, especially when it comes to translating story problems into equations in algebra.  It seems that the problems in the lesson really ramp up quickly in difficulty and some of the more difficult kinds of problems are not taught during the online lesson time or in the book.  So unless the student has a really mathematical mind they will struggle at trying to figure out how to tackle some problems.

Then I would go with MUS.  

For wanting to go into a science field it is incredibly important to have a solid, basic understanding of algebra. Moving off-line is an excellent choice because it will let him go at his pace instead of at the pace of the class. If you have to stretch algebra out over a little extra time to ensure understanding, do so and know that he will be better prepared for it. 

And yes, do MUS. Understanding a more basic curriculum is far better for future math understanding than doing a more advanced and enriched curriculum with partial understanding and a massive struggle. 

I would, however, try to continue work in the summers if at all possible. It will reduce math loss over the summer, and it will help him be on target to finish both algebras and geometry -- if he wants to do a science field, he does need at least a basic geometry, and MUS will give him that. Many of my precalculus students who are biology majors struggle with the required geometry. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kiana! I appreciate your wisdom and expertise in the field. I was thinking we would need to work through the summers in order to finish Alg. 1,2 and Geometry before graduation which is required in the state of Michigan where we live.

I live in Michigan. Just curious, are you homeschooling as a "non-public school"? Because, under the homeschool exemption, there are no such requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ThatReadAloudLife

All three of my kids use Teaching Textbooks ( 10th grade, 8th grade, and 3rd grade).  I have a Visual, a Auditory, and a Kinesthetic learner....this program seems to work well for all three learning styles.  My oldest has dyslexia and is a visual learner, seeing and hearing the lessons has worked so well for her over the years. We do order the book for her as well as the CD's so she can have a visual of the lesson to read back through when she is struggling with something.  My strictly auditory learner does all of his lessons online only with scratch paper for working out his problems. He loves that the lesson is read aloud to him and it is a set amount of problems daily.  

• 6 months later...

Bringing up an old thread.  What did you end up sung and did it work out for you?  I am debating MUS vs TT for my dd that is struggling in math.

Not the OP, but I debated between these two when my oldest got to pre-algebra, and I decided I would be fine with either. So, I had my ds watch the online demos and look at samples to decide. I figured, he'd be the one watching it, so he needed to like or at least tolerate it! He chose MUS, and we ended up using it all the way through (and thankfully my dd liked it too, and I was able to use the materials with her too.) 

• Like 1