Menu

Chicken owners--help!

DaisyDay

We have 5 hens and they seem to have stopped laying. We're getting maybe 1 egg a day in their roosting area. We're using the feed that's especially for layers. This started before the weather turned cooler so I don't think it's related to that. A few months ago, we were getting so many eggs we couldn't give them away fast enough. The hens are all about 1 year old.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem or what we might do differently?

Is it possible they're going to molt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that's possible. We are seeing a lot of feathers around here. I heard they slowed down their laying when they moult but I didn't think it would be THIS slow!  :crying:

We're new chicken owners so I guess pretty clueless. 

Ours do this every fall. Between the cooler weather, lack of daylight hours, and molting they take a break. Frustrating, but normal (at least in our experience).

I hope this is the case. Lots of change going on in their little routine all at once. Then we have the occasional dog chasing them to add to their stress. 

Is something else eating the eggs? We had a similar problem and it turned out a snake was eating the eggs.

It may be a decrease in light as well. You could try adding a light for a few extra hours.

The snake thing occurred to me but OMG, I hope not! I'd pass out cold on the ground if I saw a snake in there.  :svengo:

Let's hope it's a light issue. I could run a light out there for a couple of hours a night and see if that helps.

• Like 2

Ours have done the same thing. We even had a week with no eggs. Now we are back to about five a day (instead of 20). They're molting as well. I think it was the change in daylight hours as it's definitely not cold here!

• 2 months later...

Updating!

Now that it's early February, the days are getting a little longer and we're seeing at least 3, sometimes 4, eggs a day. So that's an improvement. 

I will also add that we're down to 4 hens now, instead of 5. Something killed one of our girls and we still have no idea what it was. It was broad daylight in late afternoon, when it happened. We all felt so bad. Since then, we've been very vigilant about getting them up close to the house as the sun starts setting each day.

• Like 1