Menu

Use It Up Pantry Challenge

JumpyTheFrog

Tonight I finally cooked the rest of the black bean pasta we bought a few years ago. Here are some of the rarely used ingredients I'd like to use in something by the end of the week.

Rice flour

Jar of fire roasted red peppers

Canned tomatillos

Amaranth (Why did I buy this?)

Brown rice I bought and vacuum sealed in 2008 or 2010

I suppose the kids will just have to suffer through eating brownies. They complained so much last time! :-)

What are you going to use up this week?

Edited by HoppyTheToad

I have an unopened bag of brown rice. I might just donate it. I always think we'll eat brown rice but no one actually likes it.

We were supposed to be moving only probably won't be because the house hasn't sold after 3 months. And we're going away in 4 weeks for a month and may or may not be packing our stuff into a storage container before then. Either way it seems better to have less stuff in the pantry. Probably half of the food containers are empty already. The things I still have a way to go on are red lentils, couscous and quinoa (the last probably only one meal). From the fridge: probably the korma paste and the mayonnaise next. And maybe the can of beetroot.

Ideas welcome!

I've only used fresh tomatillos before, but you could make salsa verde with the canned tomatillos.  Dump them in the blender with cilantro, onion, a bit of garlic, salt, and green chiles. I I think this salsa is best when it's a little chunky.

I love cardamom cookies made with rice flour. Here's one recipe.  http://www.afghancultureunveiled.com/humaira-ghilzai/afghancooking/2009/12/delicate-afghan-butter-cookies.html

And these rice flour crepes.  http://leitesculinaria.com/94490/recipes-burmese-crepes.html

I use jarred red peppers as a pizza topping with feta cheese.