Menu

Bible study for teens/tweens

SquirrellyMama

I'm looking for Bible studies for my kids. I want separate books for my son and girls. My son has a separate issue to work on right now.

I want something for the girls that isn't about how to become a meek helpmeet, but strong Christian women.

I'm having trouble finding one for the girls. One that is strong Biblically, but not all about teaching girls to be meek servants.

Will I find what I'm looking for? Anyone found good studies for girls.

Kelly

Does it have to be specifically FOR girls/women?  If so, what focus do you want it to have?  (I don't find that the Bible has a ton of gender-specific stuff in it at ALL, honestly.)

If you don't want a book of the Bible study, which I always prefer, I can recommend some recently published books by women but I don't know if they work for your girls' ages since you didn't mention that.

We've been studying books of the Bible for years. I'm looking for something more topical. My girls are 11 and 15. I can do separate studies for them.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I know what I want to find for my ds,not sure what I'm looking for with the girls.

I know I'm not looking for anything that tries to prepare them to be meek Christian girls, or a perfect Christian wife. I got sick of those books when we went through them for church.

I think I might be a little bitter at the moment.

Kelly

Well, I'm considering doing 2 studies from Jennifer Mills that seem much meatier, although topical, with my 17yo (she's on the immature side in some ways, tbh).  

One is called Salvaging My Identity and the other is Even More.  I like that they are both well-organized, with 40 days of study, and not gushy-girly.  lol

If you think your dds would like adult books to study, these by some women I really appreciate would be good!

Made for More by Hannah Anderson

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different from Us (And Why That's a Good Thing) by Jen Wilkin

Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible With Both Our Hearts and Minds by Jen Wilkin

Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives by Wendy Alsup

A short book they might enjoy is Counterfeit Gods by Tim Keller

Possibly Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss 

Now, I will say that most, if not all, of these authors are "complementarian" and reformed but that is NOT the focus of these books.  (We are the softest complementarians out there in practice and NOT reformed, btw. No patriarchy, thank you.)

If you want something more apologetic in nature, Cold-Case Christianity for Kids by J. Warner Wallace is on my to-buy list.  We also liked Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias (maybe we have a youth edition?).  What about a C.S. Lewis book?

• Like 1

If you're looking for something topical this time around, how about reading and discussing some autobiographies of female missionaries? A lot of people like the Christian Heroes Then and Now series, and quite a few of them are about women. Or perhaps a book about women in the persecuted church, like Hearts of Fire: Eight Women in the Underground Church and Their Stories of Costly Faith?

Well, I'm considering doing 2 studies from Jennifer Mills that seem much meatier, although topical, with my 17yo (she's on the immature side in some ways, tbh).

One is called Salvaging My Identity and the other is Even More. I like that they are both well-organized, with 40 days of study, and not gushy-girly. lol

We did both of these books with our high school girls at church last year. They are excellent! They do not take a ton of time each day, but delve into some great topics. I liked that there was a variety of different things brought up. Start with Salvaging and then Even More.

Edited by Samuel'sMommy

We did both of these books with our high school girls at church last year. They are excellent! They do not take a ton of time each day, but delve into some great topics. I liked that there was a variety of different things brought up. Start with Salvaging and then Even More.

Oh, that's great to hear! I will probably just get both.  I have older daughters, too (19 and 21), than the dd I'm considering them for, but I think we'd all benefit from sitting down together with these.  :)