Menu

Can you recommend a computer for programming and game design?

Alte Veste Academy

I am out of my league here. 

Pretend price is no object. It is, but let's pretend. :D This is for DS13, who is into programming and wants to design computer games. I would like something good to start and good enough to grow with him.

If you can't recommend a specific computer, can you recommend generally what features I should look for (graphics, speed of stuff, LOL). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Links would be adored!)

Generally, I'd say to go browse the information and help at Newegg.com and just build one.  It's not difficult and ds would probably love it!

Ds bought and built his own gaming computer which I assume would have similar specs you'd need.  Newegg has articles, blog posts and YouTube videos on how to build your own gaming PC, just Google!

As far as the programming aspect, I know much less, but lots of RAM (look into DDR3 or DDR4 comparisons) and storage is important, I think.  It depends on what he's programming, too.  He'll probably want a high processing speed (CPU) which you'd want with a gaming PC, too. He may want 2 monitors as well. He should help find this out!  lol

New Egg has bundles if you are NOT into building!

• Like 2

I just built DS12 a gaming computer recently and used to do 3d graphics design. You need lots of ram (at least 16gb and I would start at 32gb personally, more the merrier in this case), fast processor (look at what software he wants to use and see what they recommend, this is how I pick a processor for DS, based on the games he wanted to play), graphics card (ditto, look at the software. I would not do less than 4gb video card for game design, tons of rendering). 

I would NOT do a laptop. I would look at desktops just for later upgrade capability as well as better cooling options (in my experience). Do get a good cooler.

This is a decent processor for cheap: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8320FRHKBOX-FX-8320-8-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YU56%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3D14H876SFAKFS0EHBYQ02%26tag%3DHPPCR-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB009O7YU56 .

or if  you want intel an i5 should be fine. https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-BX80646I54690K/dp/B00KPRWB9G/ref=pd_lpo_147_lp_t_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7F93JJ24HDMEJN80FD8J

I wouldn't look at anything less than that for a processor.

• Like 2

I am out of my league here. 

Pretend price is no object. It is, but let's pretend. :D This is for DS13, who is into programming and wants to design computer games. I would like something good to start and good enough to grow with him.

If you can't recommend a specific computer, can you recommend generally what features I should look for (graphics, speed of stuff, LOL). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Links would be adored!)

I have two computer geek kids.

dd bought a tower to work from home - it had to be able to run a virtual computer lab.

the only difference between what she needed and a very souped up gaming computer .  was the monitor and graphics card. she didn't need them. (the guy at the computer store shut up when he realized she knew a whole boatload more about computers than he did.) 

you want lots of memory - lots of memory. lots.  and a high speed processor.  get the best you can afford.  don't plan on a laptop for this - they simply do NOT have the power.

does he know enough about computers  to build his own tower?  I would suggest that direction.  it would allow him to get exactly what he needs - and it's cheaper.  he would benefit from knowing the hardware too.  letting them start on computers from the thrift store is a cheap way to learn. 13 is plenty old enough - ds reminded me we started him on that when he was nine.

if he wants to do the graphics for the gaming (some do nothing but graphics.  1ds did this for awhile he realized yes, he enjoyed it, but he didn't (nor want to) live, eat, and breathe it 24/7.   it is extremely competitive.) - he'll need a high end graphics card and good graphics software.

one thing to keep in mind . . . the best stuff out there, is already out of date compared to what will be there next year.  don't plan on this being a computer he takes to college if he plans on majoring in CS or graphics.

• Like 1

We are not computer people and our oldest is in the Simulation and Game Development program at the local community college.  

We bought him a 13" Alienware last year around January as a Graduation/Christmas/Birthday gift.   I am sure it was overpriced, but he enjoys it and we didn't know what we were doing with building our own.

We are hoping he will learn in the program and get whatever will be best for him when he needs to change this one.

• Like 1