Menu

spinoff on Obama abortion thread-- where do you find reliable information?

I'm new around here, but I assume the Obama/abortion thread was shut down since I can't seem to find it now. It was getting fairly heated and divisive. But the OP's question was regarding an article about Obama's voting record related to abortion. I believe she was wondering about the reliability of the article's author.

So, here's my question. Many of you and many people I know seem extremely confident that they have trustworthy information about McCain, Palin, Obama, Biden, etc. etc. I do not share that confidence and, as of today, am an undecided voter. I mostly read our Seattle newspapers and listen to NPR. I get bogged down looking for more info since I don't know what's reliable.

Where do you get your information and why are you confident that those sources are accurate/unbiased/reliable/trustworthy?

I'd appreciate any links that have proven helpful to you -- conservative, liberal, republican, democrat, whatever!

msjones

I'm new around here, but I assume the Obama/abortion thread was shut down since I can't seem to find it now. It was getting fairly heated and divisive. But the OP's question was regarding an article about Obama's voting record related to abortion. I believe she was wondering about the reliability of the article's author.

So, here's my question. Many of you and many people I know seem extremely confident that they have trustworthy information about McCain, Palin, Obama, Biden, etc. etc. I do not share that confidence and, as of today, am an undecided voter. I mostly read our Seattle newspapers and listen to NPR. I get bogged down looking for more info since I don't know what's reliable.

Where do you get your information and why are you confident that those sources are accurate/unbiased/reliable/trustworthy?

I'd appreciate any links that have proven helpful to you -- conservative, liberal, republican, democrat, whatever!

msjones

Regardless of what links are given I think you really need to look at how they have voted in the past.

I rely most of WSJ. It's the least political news source IMO. Politics is too much of a high stakes 'game' to take too much of it seriously. Everyone has an agenda. Candidate websites are fraught with apple pie, goodness and are not particularly reliable. I doubt the majority of what I read/hear (npr) because nobody has all the information. If they do, doubtful it will be shared fairly and without spin.

I think it's important to get information from a variety of sources. I, like alot* of people, frequently get my information from sources that reinforce my existing opinion. That's not healthy, so I try to read stuff that I disagree too.

http://www.reason.com/

http://www.claremont.org/publications/crb/

http://online.wsj.com/public/us

http://realclearpolitics.com/

* I use it as one word, so there - na, na-

Edited by Stacy in NJ
add links

Considering the clearly conservative, republican slant of these boards, I really don't think this is the place to look for info on where to look for unbiased info.

Oh, I don't know about that. It seems to me that as soon as anyone posts a link, the opposing party posts one back. I think the liberal minority here more than makes up for their lack of numbers in volume ;-)

Come on. If a conservative here posts info you think is biased and wrong, you (the general you) jump in with corrections. Taken all in all, I think there's plenty of info going around on BOTH sides of any issue.

I'm not being snarky, in case this is taken as so.

Plus, the OP asked for what people consider to be accurate sources of information from all parts of the spectrum. So ... ? Why not post away?

Oh, I don't know about that. It seems to me that as soon as anyone posts a link, the opposing party posts one back. I think the liberal minority here more than makes up for their lack of numbers in volume ;-)

Come on. If a conservative here posts info you think is biased and wrong, you (the general you) jump in with corrections. Taken all in all, I think there's plenty of info going around on BOTH sides of any issue.

I'm not being snarky, in case this is taken as so.

Plus, the OP asked for what people consider to be accurate sources of information from all parts of the spectrum. So ... ? Why not post away?

:lol:

Yep. What ever the progressive lack in numbers they certainly make up for in volume, at least on this board.

Considering the clearly conservative, republican slant of these boards, I really don't think this is the place to look for info on where to look for unbiased info.

Now, I haven't been 'around' here long, but, so far, my impression is that there's something of a mix on this board. Certainly more of a mix than I generally find in polite company. :)

So, I thought the WTM boards might have something to offer that I can't find elsewhere.

I'm zipping out the door at the moment, but plan to pour some wine and check out these links once the boys are in bed.

And, yes, I'm interested in any sources that YOU find credible (and reasons why, if you have that much energy in the middle of the week). I'd call myself a moderate, and am interested in a variety of perspectives.

Thanks to all who have posted so far!

msjones

msjones

MsJones, Welcome!! I really go to the interest groups who really want the 'truth' when it comes to someone's voting record.. I am pro-life and anti-abortion...but I don't just go to the pro-life site to see their thumbs up/thumbs down for a candidate (they rank them on a scale of 0-100 most the time)..but I also go to the sites of Planned Parenthood and other known pro-choice sites to see what their view of that candidate is...more than not, if they score a 0 on one, they'll score close to a 100 on the other....some candidates can say they're pro-choice or pro-life but those subjective groups really do the homework for you.

Tara