Menu

Advice for dealing with aging parent

treestarfae

Who do you contact when they cannot mentally make good decisions for themselves health wise. This is causing neighborhood problems and the town is repeatedly citing them for property issues. I live too far away to help and I'm the only child. Is there a social worker that intervenes when they become mentally incapable with disease? How do I approach this when they are stubborn and refuse help?

That is such a tough place to be! For you and your parents. Look for aging services in their area. But bottom line, as long as they are legally competent, they can continue to make bad decisions. It's no fun to have a parent declared legally incompetent. BTDT

Also, read Being Mortal, Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande. A very engaging book about issues surrounding aging and disease.

Edited by Lawana
  • Like 2

Their child needs to talk to their doctor.  You can talk to a social worker as well for advice and help in navigating services.  Do you have Financial Power of Attorney?  And Medical Power of Attorney?  Unless you can convince a parent to allow  you to have those powers, you may have to have them declared incompetent if it has deteriorated to that extent. 

• Like 1

first stop  would be adult senior services in their area.

did they ever get anything in writing about care when they're not able?

are all the children on the same page?

do you know their dr?  call them, and express your concerns.   they can't tell you anything, but they can listen.  (and possibly suggest services.)

this  is a hard place, and my mother lived here.

• Like 1

Search "parent's county council on aging" or similar, and you should connect with people who can give you advice. I'm sure it varies by area, but my county has a ton of services, and it is not an affluent area. They have counseling, they have people who will check in on them, all kinds of stuff. Most valuable, they have lots of experience and knowledge. 

• Like 1

Thanks katilac, I found a few groups that will be helpful.

Search "parent's county council on aging" or similar, and you should connect with people who can give you advice. I'm sure it varies by area, but my county has a ton of services, and it is not an affluent area. They have counseling, they have people who will check in on them, all kinds of stuff. Most valuable, they have lots of experience and knowledge. 

Is there financial benefits being awarded due to the disability, via Social Security or Medicare? I would start by calling the parent's primary care physician and ask if there is a social worker liaison with that agency, or maybe just on staff with the physician's office.

Remember that under HIPPA laws, these people cannot share information with you. However, they can ACCEPT information from you. You can let them know you are concerned.

Another source of help might be the council on aging for their town. A Google search should turn up a phone number.

You are in a tough spot. Without a POA it may be hard to actually do anything without the parent's compliance. Sadly, it is quite a frustrating position to be in. Is there any way you could make a visit?