Menu

Denver in early November

Rachel

I scored a great deal on plane tickets so we are going to visit my sister who lives in the Denver area in early November. I'd love some recommendations on site seeing with the kids (ages 8, 6, 4, plus my nephew age 5). We will basically have 3.5 days there.

I would love to do at least a little hiking, possibly drive up Pike's Peak (assuming weather cooperates) and visit a couple good outdoor stores. Any great parks or activities where my kids can run around and just hang out with their cousin? Possibly a nature center? Any recommendations of hiking trails that are kid friendly, not too crowded, and 2-3 miles. Any unique restaurants we must try?

My sister is in Aurora and we will also likely eat dinner with family in the Broomfield area.

The Denver Zoo is fun. Chitaqua has some good hikes in Boulder. 16th Street Mall in Boulder is fun. We love Estes Park and Rocky Mtn National Park but it would be a bit of a drive. We like to take people to White Fence Farm for dinner - it has great fried chicken but also has a petting zoo, slide, cute shops and playgrounds. Casa Bonita is a landmark, horrible food except for the sopapillas but has cliff divers, little melodramas, caves to explore and an arcade.

Remember that Nov might be beautiful but also might be cold and snowy. Layers are a must in Colorado as you never know what the weather will do.

Edited by dhudson
  • Like 1

The aquarium is fun for those ages and there is a huge REI store not far from there. I would plan for cold/snow and if you have a beautiful sunny day, the zoo or Pearl Street in Boulder would be fun. The Butterfly Pavilion in Westminster (off of 36, on the way to Boulder) would be a good indoor choice as well.

Hiking trails might be fine, might be snowy/muddy. You will have to ask/call around when you get there.

• Like 1

The aquarium is fun for those ages and there is a huge REI store not far from there. I would plan for cold/snow and if you have a beautiful sunny day, the zoo or Pearl Street in Boulder would be fun. The Butterfly Pavilion in Westminster (off of 36, on the way to Boulder) would be a good indoor choice as well.

Hiking trails might be fine, might be snowy/muddy. You will have to ask/call around when you get there.

I definitely want to hit REI, the closest location to me is 90 minutes and isn't a very big store.

The Butterfly Pavillion sounds perfect.

It's definitely a time of year when the weather could be perfect or somewhat miserable. Eventually we will drive out there and stay longer. It's such a LONG drive from the east coast though.