Menu

What are your favorite tent/car camping meals?

We do eggs in a bag....you buy ziploc (must be name brand) freezer bags (Quart size) you crack desired amount of eggs in bag(s) seal....scramble them by smooshing bag around add desired veggies, seasoning and cheese put in boiling water until cooked through. These are the best eggs we have had. We do this at homes too..the only dishes are knives for cutting veggies and pots for boiling. :)

Alison

If you freeze the steaks, individually wrapped in plastic, before you go, they function as 'ice' in the cooler while they thaw, and then you eat them when they are thawed and soft. Something to look forward to!

I also like to bring chicken salad--true, it's cold; but it great to be able to just dump it out on plates after a long day.

I find that bringing a sack of bell peppers is useful--they are more hardy than other veggies, and have that crunch and flavor when you eat them raw. Great side dish, and you can also cut them up and put Italien dressing on them for variety. They don't wilt like salad greens.

I usually bring frozen chili--again, just dump it into the pot and warm it up. If you freeze it in wide mouthed pint sized canning jars, you can slide it out of the jar before it is completely thawed to finish thawing quickly in the pot.

These were our favorite meals and ones the boys repeatedly requested when we were out tent camping for 2+months this past summer....without a cooler,......and without DH.

Take big, flat tortillo bread, place in skillet, place cheddar cheese on tortilla bread, add a few hot peppers, canned chicken chunks, and canned tomato chunks if you like that. Heat and serve. We even fixed those for DH as a dinner appetizer after we got home.

In a pot add one 16oz can Salsa, one 8-oz cheddar cheese (slice it into chunks that will melt easily), hot peppers if you like that, summer sausage cut into bite size pieces. Heat long enough to melt the cheese and then serve over chips. IFFFF you can, have sour cream to add to the top of the chips. Ummm, my mouth is watering.

Another item we liked to do was get a bag of salad fixings, a loaf of French Bread, and a couple raw chicken breasts. Cut the chicken breasts into chunks, cook in the skillet with lots and lots of garlic and the juice from a lemon. Serve with salad and bread and everyone will think you are dining just fine.

Carole

I like to make it easy and take canned ravioli, canned stews, and the mac-n-cheese that has the pouch with the cheese sauce (so you don't have to worry about butter and milk).

I also like to take a nonstick griddle and make Bisquick pancakes that come in the shaker container (just add water).

Don't forget s'mores.

At home I get very complicated with recipes - but when outdoors it's just easier to do the minimum. It still tastes good!

~D

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby?

The Jaipur Vegetable packets mixed in with the (separate) pre-cooked rice bowls are really good!

They also have packages of things like rice pilaf and vegetable jambalaya, etc. Very tasty and they don't take up much space. They can be dropped into a pot of boiling water to heat up. Fairly long shelf life and no refrigeration needed.

We barbecue a lot. We do hamburgers and potatoes & onion in foil, beenie weenies, mac & cheese & hotdogs, etc. Make sure the kids help a lot, either with meal prep and cooking or clean up. It's good for them and doesn't make it so miserable for you.

Yeah, how could I forget the foil bundles!!!! You can also add carrots to them! I love, love, love foil (we call them Hobo) bundles.