Menu

Right Start "Math Card Games" -- Can I Make My Own Decks?

mom2bee

Would it be possible to recreate the decks of cards if I just buy the manual?

Is there is a template for each kind of card in the book or a few illustrations of the different cards in the book, so that the user has the option of creating their own cards rather than buying them?

Edited by mom2bee

Yes, you could physically reproduce them (excepting the Corners deck) ... but take into consideration ....

1.  Quantities of specific cards .... By reading the game book, you should be able to infer the quantities of each card for the basic number card deck and the multiples.  But for the coin deck, I'm not sure you could figure out how many quarter cards or penny cards or whatnot you'd need to create to accurately reproduce the RS deck.  And the fractions deck?!?  I don't think you could infer the composition of the deck from reading the book.

2.  Card Size -  Like Farrar said, I'd buy the cards already cut to size ... but consider if you'll have a young one using the cards in their hands.  I don't think a young child could hold 4 index cards in one hand easily.

3.  Durability/Flexibility - You'd definitely want to laminate them - but you'd have to find the right amount of flexibility.  Obviously stiffer is more durable, but you want to be able to shuffle them and pick them up from the table easily.

And to answer your specific questions - No, there's no template for the user to utilize, but there are basic illustrations of the decks.

Buying them is the easiest- the cards are specific. In my opinion it would just be too hard to make your own.

I agree. There are several different types of cards, and they're each a very specific design. Laminating will bring the cost up quite a bit, and then you have to cut them all out (getting the cards cut evenly after laminating can be tricky).

If you are crafty and extremely tight on funds, you could do it.

The one you could most easily make is the plain counting number ones for games like Going to the Dump. I agree that for the others, the specific numbers and so forth might make it tricky. But you could get started that way. I'd just buy them though.

Everyone should have a box of blank cards anyway. Just sayin:

https://smile.amazon.com/Blank-Playing-Cards/dp/1572814993/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475591795&sr=8-2&keywords=blank+playing+cards

• Like 1

That's cool! I didn't know such things existed!!

If you wanted to play the basic version of Go To The Dump, you could use a couple of decks of traditional playing cards.

Okay, I am thinking to slash the budget and spring for a used manual that has the FULL deck of cards for: Fractions, Clock, Corners and Multiplication (and envelopes for the Multiplication) BUT The Basic Card Deck is missing 38 cards, but I'm sure I can recreate those and then all I'd need is the money card deck, right? :unsure:

• Like 2

Weeellll .... you will want the basic card deck to be uniform in appearance.  You'll be playing memory games and whatnot.

Since they sell the decks individually, you could buy them as you need them.  What are your goals in playing the games?  If it's fact mastery, then I'd say you ought to get:  Basic, corners, and multiplication.  Then buy fractions, money, and lastly clock as you need them or when finances allow.  (Their fraction games are actually quite "sneaky" to familiarize kiddos with fractions.  Money deck is more challenging to DIY because of the images, and you may be able to hack the games using real coins.  Clock deck would be the easiest to DIY IMO, and there's probably fewer cards to create.)

• Like 1

Okay, I am thinking to slash the budget and spring for a used manual that has the FULL deck of cards for: Fractions, Clock, Corners and Multiplication (and envelopes for the Multiplication) BUT The Basic Card Deck is missing 38 cards, but I'm sure I can recreate those and then all I'd need is the money card deck, right? :unsure:

Every manipulative, book, etc. Rightstart sells can be purchased separately. So you can just buy the Basic Card Set you are missing, if you'd like. I think they're around $5.50-6.00 if I'm remembering correctly? I would call and ask if they have any returns or seconds although this time of year they typically save them for posting on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. If you sign up for their e-mail list, they'll email you what they have available as it gets closer. You can also post WTB on the Rightstart yahoo page and may get lucky. It's difficult to make your own because of the uniformity needed for some of the games. Certainly doable but not worth it imo considering how cheap they are to purchase separately. The Math Games Kit is typically $60 (unless they've upped the price since I worked for them a year ago).  You may be able to find the entire kit on that yahoo page too. HTH!

I may be wrong about this (and someone correct me if I am), but so far all the games we've done that use the basic card deck can be done with two decks of standard playing cards with the jokers and face cards removed (my girls prefer using the standard decks - they look more interesting!). Card decks are cheap, and they're sold pretty much everywhere, so you wouldn't need to pay for shipping.

My package arrived and I'm happy :).

There are supposed to be 12 sets of number cards for 0-10, and I have a 6 complete sets of the 0-10 number cards in the Basic Card Deck, and then I have a some cards missing from the other. (I counted them out but I doubt anyone cares precisely how many of each value are missing.)

I think that I have enough cards to get started, and if I want/need more, then I'll just make 6 complete sets of 0-12 and have a two-tone deck :).

• Like 1

Would it be possible to recreate the decks of cards if I just buy the manual?

Is there is a template for each kind of card in the book or a few illustrations of the different cards in the book, so that the user has the option of creating their own cards rather than buying them?

Okay, so just want to update this for posterity. On page 3 of the Game Manual is a description of each deck  so even though there aren't clear pictures/templates of each type of card, laid out using the illustrations found through out the manual it is feasible to recreate most of the decks at home and yes, I would use standard 3x5 BLANK index cards and just cut them in half.

For the coins/money deck, I'd just use relatively sized circles and write the number amount in them. So it'd be a real big circle with 50c, big circle with 25c, tiny circle with 10c, medium circle with 5c and a small circle with 1c. I wouldn't go through the hassle of making the coin images unless I was already adept at graphic and desktop publishing software.

However, you would really want to buy the "Corners" deck because there are 50 unique cards in that deck and while you could sit and puzzle out the correct combinations, I think that if you're a family that likes game and you want to play RS games, then it's worth the investment to buy the corners deck. Later you might want the fractions deck to spare you the effort of making one, but you could make one of those based on the description also.