Menu

Curriculum that Specifically Targets "Advanced" Phonics?

wendyroo

DS7 is a voracious reader.  He easily spends 3-4 hours every day reading "good" literature, twaddle, poetry, non-fiction, graphic novels, etc.  He LOVES to read.

That said, I find he still skips or guesses at a lot of the "hard" words during our daily 5-10 minute read-aloud practice time.  And by hard words, I mean "exploration" and "diagonal" and "approval", words that are phonetically within his reach, not "soiree" or "rendezvous" or anything like that.

He completed OPGTR a long time ago and he is just about done with Explode the Code 8, which he breezes through and finds easy.

He currently spends 10ish minutes each morning doing Explode the Code and 5-10 minutes reading a few paragraphs to me from a high-reading-level encyclopedia-type book.  I stop him when he guesses at words and help him sound them out.

Once he is done with EtC, what would be a good resource to help him solidify his advanced phonics and multi-syllable words.  The most common mistake he makes is guessing the most common word that looks about right: reading machine for mechanic or reading expensive for expressive, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wendy

I have a good reader who does that - with her it's laziness :D. When I catch her doing it more I make her read aloud and stop to sound out words that she just glosses over or mispronounces from not reading carefully. Rarely can she not sound it out with a finger under the word and finding the base word if it has prefixes and suffixes.

I don't really think it needs a program so much as just some more supervision with reading practice to break the habit. If it is a genuine phonetic weakness I second Elizabeth's page for some remedial exercises :)

Give Logic of English Essentials 2nd Ed. a look. Within, there are 3 levels of spelling using similar phonograms. The most advanced level C uses more challenging phonograms, including phonograms of words borrowed from other languages. Also, three levels of vocab study (morpheme based). 

My son is solidly in level B for his spelling instruction, but I'm having him read to me the words from C as they are challenging and it is giving him exposure to seeing the word in print as well as practice reading them.

I got cheap older/used copies of the teacher and student books for REWARDS Multi-syllabic Word Reading Strategies from amazon.  I'm using it with my DS9 who has had a solid background in instruction from Logic of English Essentials.  He developed some bad habits after I stopped making him read aloud to me regularly when his reading material increased in difficulty.  He tends to just guess a word that may look similar rather than consider what's actually there (He can actually spell some of these words better than he was reading them because he slows down long enough to think about all the parts of the word when spelling).   Some of it is super easy since he knows the phonograms already...he just needs that reminder to break apart words into smaller segments and really thinking about them. The exercises in identifying the prefixes and suffixes visually (circling them in words) and then reading them is really helping him. 

Edited by kirstenhill

DS7 is a voracious reader.  He easily spends 3-4 hours every day reading "good" literature, twaddle, poetry, non-fiction, graphic novels, etc.  He LOVES to read.

That said, I find he still skips or guesses at a lot of the "hard" words during our daily 5-10 minute read-aloud practice time.  And by hard words, I mean "exploration" and "diagonal" and "approval", words that are phonetically within his reach, not "soiree" or "rendezvous" or anything like that.

He completed OPGTR a long time ago and he is just about done with Explode the Code 8, which he breezes through and finds easy.

He currently spends 10ish minutes each morning doing Explode the Code and 5-10 minutes reading a few paragraphs to me from a high-reading-level encyclopedia-type book.  I stop him when he guesses at words and help him sound them out.

Once he is done with EtC, what would be a good resource to help him solidify his advanced phonics and multi-syllable words.  The most common mistake he makes is guessing the most common word that looks about right: reading machine for mechanic or reading expensive for expressive, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wendy

Spalding. It teaches children to read by teaching them to spell--a two-fer :D ; it eliminates any sort of guessing. Children don't *need* to guess because they have learned to analyze the words they read (and spell).

You only need a one-time purchase of the manual (Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards.

I got cheap older/used copies of the teacher and student books for REWARDS Multi-syllabic Word Reading Strategies from amazon.  I'm using it with my DS9 who has had a solid background in instruction from Logic of English Essentials.  He developed some bad habits after I stopped making him read aloud to me regularly when his reading material increased in difficulty.  He tends to just guess a word that may look similar rather than consider what's actually there (He can actually spell some of these words better than he was reading them because he slows down long enough to think about all the parts of the word when spelling).   Some of it is super easy since he knows the phonograms already...he just needs that reminder to break apart words into smaller segments and really thinking about them. The exercises in identifying the prefixes and suffixes visually (circling them in words) and then reading them is really helping him. 

This was really helpful for my oldest DD, who didn't read until she was 8.5 but is reading well above grade-level now.