Menu

Another Butter Chicken thread.

Spryte

My neighbor knew that our son with dairy allergies was gone tonight, and she brought me butter chicken.

Gasp! I love butter chicken but haven't had it in ten years!

We don't keep allergens in the house usually, well - not for cooking - and I haven't had it since DS was diagnosed with his allergies.

Oh. My. Goodness. It's even better when it feels like you're getting away with something!

• Like 17

I've made a pretty decent butter chicken without dairy: I use a little coconut cream in the marinade, and then use cashew paste (bought or homemade) to thicken the sauce and give it the right consistency.

It's worth a try because butter chicken is not something I'd want to go without!

• Like 2

I've made a pretty decent butter chicken without dairy: I use a little coconut cream in the marinade, and then use cashew paste (bought or homemade) to thicken the sauce and give it the right consistency.

It's worth a try because butter chicken is not something I'd want to go without!

Yum! That sounds amazing. Want to wrack your brain for more substitutes? Something to sub for the cashew paste? I wonder if we could use the separated top from the coconut milk? Fake butter? Now I'm hopeful.

We are no peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, lentil, banana, dairy, egg, wheat. And almost no raw foods. Only the first five are anaphylactic, but ugh! And I'm no shellfish. Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands and create food tablets so we never have to cook again.

• Like 1

Recipe please! I miss butter chicken!

Yum! That sounds amazing. Want to wrack your brain for more substitutes? Something to sub for the cashew paste? I wonder if we could use the separated top from the coconut milk? Fake butter? Now I'm hopeful.

We are no peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, lentil, banana, dairy, egg, wheat. And almost no raw foods. Only the first five are anaphylactic, but ugh! And I'm no shellfish. Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands and create food tablets so we never have to cook again.

What about seeds? You can buy sunflower seed butter or make your own. You can toast them first to avoid eating them raw, maybe?

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

Recipe please! I miss butter chicken!

The non-dairy one was a Whole30 experiment, so I don't have a recipe: For normal butter chicken I just sort of make it now, but these are two recipes I've bookmarked:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6475/butter+chicken

http://showmethecurry.com/curries/butter-chicken-murgh-makhani.html

Sometimes I buy a spice packet from the Indian grocer and use the recipe on the back.

The basic idea is to marinade the chicken in yoghurt and spices - in the dairy free version I substituted coconut cream for the yoghurt.

For the sauce I'd use olive oil instead of butter for frying, and then stir in cashew paste instead of cream.

I always grill the chicken then add it to the sauce - I think that adds flavour over the versions that simmer the chicken in the sauce.

• Like 2

The non-dairy one was a Whole30 experiment, so I don't have a recipe: For normal butter chicken I just sort of make it now, but these are two recipes I've bookmarked:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6475/butter+chicken

http://showmethecurry.com/curries/butter-chicken-murgh-makhani.html

Sometimes I buy a spice packet from the Indian grocer and use the recipe on the back.

The basic idea is to marinade the chicken in yoghurt and spices - in the dairy free version I substituted coconut cream for the yoghurt.

For the sauce I'd use olive oil instead of butter for frying, and then stir in cashew paste instead of cream.

I always grill the chicken then add it to the sauce - I think that adds flavour over the versions that simmer the chicken in the sauce.

Thank you, that sounds wonderful!  Maybe I can try this this weekend....   mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................