Menu

Gardeners: how long do seeds keep?

madteaparty

I moved into a new house and have inherited a freezer full of heirloom seeds that previous owners left. Unplugged freezer. I think maybe they were preppers or something (because there's capsules with full sets of seeds for emergency gardens). So now the seeds are no longer frozen, and they date from 2014. Toss? I'm not that great of a gardener and I have very limited patience so if I spend time planting I want something to come out of the ground. I have better luck with low maintenance things like old country roses etc.

I think I will try some of the cold weather ones and see, but it also feels a little wrong to just toss...

• Like 1

If you don't want to use them you could offer them on freecycle or your local homeschool list or something. Many of them will likely sprout, though the rate may be lower than last year's seeds. I often use seeds from packets that are a couple of years old.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

It depends on the seed type and storage conditions.  Some keep a long time, others only a year or so, you can find lists online or in gardening books that will tell you how fertility is likely to be affected.

Usually the best storage is cool but not frozen, not to damp or too dry.

With stored seed, you often won't get the same level of germination - it can be useful to test a sample before planting a bunch, so you don't end up with a waste of space and time and energy. 

• Like 1

I keep seeds for years (and years and years). Pepper seeds are pretty hardy so I bet they would still be in pretty good shape. However, you should give them away. Pepper plants are better suited to warm climates and so you would have the best luck starting then indoors under lights which is nice in concept but can be tricky to pull off. (Meaning I've never actually gotten my act together in February to pull myself away from my warm coffee and start working "in the garden" already)

Trade the seeds to somebody for some nice butternut squash seeds.

• Like 1

Depends on the type of seed. Some are recommended for purchasing new every year for better germination (corn and leeks, that I've heard). Others get still good germination after even lengthy storage. I have seeds several years old. We have them in zip-seal bags in the refrigerator, with a couple of silica packets to help remove moisture. I've never frozen them though.

I agree with others—put them up on freecycle or somewhere. They're probably good seed, but if you don't want to mess with them, don't.

Erica in OR

There's got to be someone nearby who would take them and see if anything germinates. I know my mother's one of those people; she's picked up random boxes of seeds at yard sales and seen some that had to be 20 years old (judging by dates on package) surprisingly germinate. For her it's a treasure hunt.