Menu

So my bff says.,,,

shanezomom

I asked her this week which textbooks her son has this year for 9th grade at the local Christian school. I remind her that I'm always curious (being a homeschool mom, right?) She said she hadn't seen any yet. Unsatisfied with that, I said "Really? Not even one?" to which she replied, "I pay $7,000 a year not to know what books he uses."

I love my friend because she is so honest. And he gets straight A's anyway, apparently with no help at home lol.

• Like 5

I was the same as your friend when my son was in high school.

BUT, I did intervene as soon as I saw a problem (tutor for math, classes for the SAT). And I went to all the teacher evenings so I was aware of his progress.

My son was also extremely organized and conscientious. 

If it isn't broken....

My daughter is an entirely different case: sensitive, miserable at school, not developing well. Hence I am now homeschooling. 

By 9th grade, it's completely normal when your kids go to school to never see their books. Often, they don't have textbooks to take home anyway. A lot of teachers don't really use them. And, I don't think most 9th graders need help with their homework from their parents.

But, what she said was pretty funny!

Edited by school17777
  • Like 2

Unsatisfied with that, I said "Really? Not even one?" to which she replied, "I pay $7,000 a year not to know what books he uses." .

My friends with kids in public school would tell you similar. The textbook list is actually on our school district website but how the individual teachers make use of the allocated curriculum is up to the teachers.

So a parent would need to look at each of their child's teachers webpage and download the syllabus to get an idea.

For my dd's private high school, almost all textbooks are on iPad.  Though I haven't "seen" them, I know what they are because I buy/rent the electronic copies.

My middle schoolers at a public charter also use electronic textbooks on computer.

Edited by wapiti

There are not enough textbooks at my son's school to have more than a classroom set.  Except for the ones we bought, none have come home.  I take that back - his AP calculus teacher was excited to be able to give them each their own book so they could take them back and forth.  My son? Not so excited. :lol:

I have seen their books because I go in during open house night and see the stacks of them in each classroom.  This year I made it a point to see which Anatomy book they were using because I really, REALLY did not want my kid using Apologia.  I would have pulled him out of the class over it and pitched a fit.  

I'm with your friend!

Actually, if you DO feel the need to know what textbook they're using it's possibly a reason to change school: by the end I didn't trust dd's Montessori school at all and I was constantly stressed out trying to fill gaps and instil good learning values. Now that we moved schools I know that they're on top of things and will let me know if there's a problem. I'm happy to pay for that!

I'm in year 15 of homeschooling. I know the titles of my son's books because I chose them, but when my daughter went to high school I had zero interest in the books. I mean, topics are interesting, but publishers? I recognized two because we had them at home, but I just had no compelling reason to be interested in her exact books. Zero.

• Like 2