Menu

Political/ espionage thrillers for teenage boy?

I'm having a heck of a time finding books for leisure reading for my boys. Partly that's because--despite my own literary background and years of exposure to excellent children's literature--they prefer to spend their leisure time other ways (ball hockey, video games, internet..... Sigh.) But now that we're past that handy 8 to 12 yr old range (for three of my sons, at least), nothing much literary seems to grab their interest. My 14 yr old will still read some types of fantasy, but the 16 yr old seems to prefer grittier, high action stuff. A couple of years back, he was really into the Alex Rider series.... Is there anything along those lines for a boy his age? I know there's adult thriller/ espionage fiction, but I very much want to avoid anything that includes graphic sexuality. Does such a literary beast exist?

...wrote The 39 Steps and I think 4 more novels with the same main character, Richard Hannay. The second was Greenmantle. I can't remember what the other titles are, but my 14yob loved them all.

I believe The 39 Steps is considered the birth of the thriller/spy novel genre. Also, nothing sexual in these. They were written in the 1930's(?).

Another short psychological thriller set in WWII, The Bridge Over the River Kwai. My other son enjoyed it. He also liked the Scarlet Pimpernel, again a short and clean novel.

These were also all made into movies... maybe go through some old movie titles to find more books. :-)

I'm having a heck of a time finding books for leisure reading for my boys. Partly that's because--despite my own literary background and years of exposure to excellent children's literature--they prefer to spend their leisure time other ways (ball hockey, video games, internet..... Sigh.) But now that we're past that handy 8 to 12 yr old range (for three of my sons, at least), nothing much literary seems to grab their interest. My 14 yr old will still read some types of fantasy, but the 16 yr old seems to prefer grittier, high action stuff. A couple of years back, he was really into the Alex Rider series.... Is there anything along those lines for a boy his age? I know there's adult thriller/ espionage fiction, but I very much want to avoid anything that includes graphic sexuality. Does such a literary beast exist?

Well, the sexuality rules out Heinlien, Piers Anthony, and Harry Turtledove.:tongue_smilie:

How about Jonathan Stange and Mr. Norrell? Maybe Dune? I can't remember if Dune includes any sexuality. Perhaps, The EarthSea Trilogy by LeGuin. Jurassic Park would be good. My 17yo likes Holly Black's books, but they are a bit on the dark side.

HTH-

Mandy

Some adventure series that you might look into - not spy, but boy stories - the Hornblower books (seafaring, Napoleonic wars, I think) and Biggles (fighter pilot through the 20th century).

Calvin has also enjoyed Dorothy Sayers - again, not spy stories, but worth a look. I would recommend The Nine Tailors as a place to start. The violence is reported, not described, and there's no sex. Very atmospheric and intermittently exciting.

Laura

My 14 yo ds also loves "action-y" books.

Thriller genre: Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum.

Science fiction: Michael Crichton (a couple of his have explicit sex - avoid Rising Sun and State of Fear) Good ones: Timeline, Andromeda Strain, Sphere, Jurassic Park, Lost World, Eaters of the Dead (I know, it sounds disgusting, but it refers to an archaeological discovery of a primitive tribe), and Congo

My husband likes William F. Buckley,Jr's Blackford Oakes spy novels: The Story of Henri Tod, others that slip my mind right now. Don't think they have sex.

We have also enjoyed the Horatio Hornblower books: naval strategy, wry humor, interesting and heroic characters, history and geography "for free".

Good question! My son loves to read for pleasure. We do "Great Books" for school, but he wants to read high-action on his own time. The older they get, the harder it is to find suitable fare. So this is a great place to share ideas.

HTH,

Cindy in Indy

I second the recommendation of the Hornblower books by C.S. Forrester. There is actually quite a bit of politics in some of them. I like that they portray military officers having to take politics into consideration, instead of only planning battles and action.

I would also recommend Alistair MacLean's books (he wrote The Guns of Navarone recommended by a previous poster and many others), but they seem to be out of print...

Anne

I second the recommendation of the Hornblower books by C.S. Forrester. There is actually quite a bit of politics in some of them. I like that they portray military officers having to take politics into consideration' date=' instead of only planning battles and action.

Anne[/quote']

Be aware that HH does have a couple of affairs. Also, the "Master & Commander" series has quite a lot of questionable behavior (sex & drug abuse).

I'm not familiar with the Alex Rider series but maybe some of the early Tom Clancy novels like Hunt for Red October might fit this category.

Cinder

:iagree:I don't think there is much if anything graphic in the Tom Clancy books. I read them as an adult, but my little brother read them all in high school. Other books baby brother liked (21 now) are Terry Goodkind(sp) and Robert Jordan. I think they both maybe a little more fantasy than action. I think there is also a series that starts with Eragon (can't remember the name of the series the writer is a young man who was homeschooled and wrote the first book as a teenager, I think the 3rd book just came out).

I read all of the John LeCarre books as a teen and loved them. I don't know about his newer books, but the old ones like Smiliey's People, The Russia House, and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold are excellent spy novels (there are many more). They are about the British spies during WWII - very realistic...no sex as far as I can remember. I loved them and read them over and over since high school.