Menu

We are moving. Anyone in Sunnyvale, CA?

My husband was told three weeks ago to relocate or be unemployed. Since unemployment is not a good thing, we looked into our relocation options and...

We are moving to Sunnyvale, CA.

So are there WTWers in Sunnyvale? We would love to meet up with some of you. My kids are not excited about the move, so I would love to meet up with some kids so that they aren't feeling quite so unsettled.

We will probably be arriving some time mid November. It is taking time for all the paperwork to happen and we just missed the VP meeting agenda for today. The VP has to approve the transfer. And then the actual packing and moving part. It just takes time.

And the weather looks fantastic! I am looking forward to being there.

Jenne in AZ (but not for much longer!)

Welcome to the Bay Area! We are in San Jose which is right next door.

You might want to look into a very large homeschooling group here:

All Ways Learning of Silicon Valley:

• Inclusive homeschool support group. Contact Vicki Krakower at 408-865-0721 or email at vicyvovo77@aol.com.

You can be as involved as you want and it is a great way to meet other homeschoolers. There are classes, field trips and all kinds of activities.

And, yes, the weather is fabulous!

Amber in SJ

We moved to Texas from San Jose, where we had lived since 1987. I was a support group leader at one time, and published a newsletter for many years. We *love* the Bay area (ok, not the politics, but everything else, lol). The weather is wonderful, and there are all sorts of way kewl things to do.

I lived in Santa Cruz for seven years and worked in Mountain View for three. It's a neat place, though as you probably already know, it's expensive and the traffic can be, well, trafficky (I don't think that's a word). I'm sure that you will find many like minded folks in the Bay Area on many different levels. And you will like the weather, it's great! Good luck to you!

practically next door to Sunnyvale.

I would love to host a f2f--I think we are due to have one here in the South Bay.

Why don't you PM me when you get closer to your move, and we can figure out how to get together.

Also, sign up for the BAHFT list--it is free (google it) and it is a message list for arrangements for field trips in the Greater Bay Area. That way you can set up a few good 'tours' before you get here--something to look forward to!

I belong to a Christian support group called Bay Area Schools in Christ. It is Christian eclectic--has a very loose SOF. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you some more info on that.

Also, you might want to check out the LEAD Center in Los Gatos for enrichment classes, as well as Schmahl Science and Rock It Science for science enrichment specifically. My DD belongs to the Vivace Youth Chorus of San Jose, a high quality multi level South Bay choral group, and they will be accepting new applicants in January. They have some concerts coming up in November and December, so if you are interested in choral music you can come to a concert and check them out. Let me know if you are interested; I may be able to get you some complimentary 'prospect' tickets.

Welcome, you can't beat the weather and there is a ton to do here.

WOW!

You ladies are making me feel welcome and we aren't even there yet. I would love to try to do a get together after we arrive. I think it would be really fun.

Can you explain about the R4 homeschooling form? We won't be there until after October 15. Will I need to file something when we do arrive? Or do I wait until next October?

PS. We will be going out before the real move to go house hunting, probably for a couple of days at the end of Ocotber. We will be renting but we will still need a place to live. So I will need good places to eat while we are looking. Do you have any favorites that I can try?

WOW!

You ladies are making me feel welcome and we aren't even there yet. I would love to try to do a get together after we arrive. I think it would be really fun.

Can you explain about the R4 homeschooling form? We won't be there until after October 15. Will I need to file something when we do arrive? Or do I wait until next October?

PS. We will be going out before the real move to go house hunting, probably for a couple of days at the end of Ocotber. We will be renting but we will still need a place to live. So I will need good places to eat while we are looking. Do you have any favorites that I can try?

I'm from the East Bay originally and know that there are LOADS of food choices in Santa Clara/San Jose. Just pick one! I'll reply after I talk to my dh. He worked at Intel there and ate out often. He even tried blood-balls once. EWWWWWWW!

WOW!

No shortage of great food. What do you like?

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/regional/CaliforniaR4.htm

My husband was told three weeks ago to relocate or be unemployed. Since unemployment is not a good thing, we looked into our relocation options and...

We are moving to Sunnyvale, CA.

My in-laws live there and we will be visiting them in November.

Welcome to the Bay Area! We are in San Jose which is right next door.J

My bil and his family live there and we'll be seeing them in November, too.

Hi Jenne,

I'm up the road a piece in Sacramento. Welcome to California! There are lots of homeschoolers in the Bay Area, and so many things to do! I'm sure you will love it.

My brother and his family are there and we won't be seeing them in November unless it's a quick stop.

You'll probably be too busy unpacking in November.

I like Chinese food. My husband likes Mexican. I would like to try something new. I haven't had Greek or Thai or Korean or Japanese or lots of things. I have kids who would rather be hungry than eat something unfamiliar. (It is an ongoing issue. We are working on it.)

Thanks for the link about the R4 form. It looks like after we get there I'll file that form.

Maybe we will be able to find a day that we could meet at a park or something. I think that would be amazing.

I like Chinese food. My husband likes Mexican. I would like to try something new. I haven't had Greek or Thai or Korean or Japanese or lots of things. I have kids who would rather be hungry than eat something unfamiliar. (It is an ongoing issue. We are working on it.)

Thanks for the link about the R4 form. It looks like after we get there I'll file that form.

Maybe we will be able to find a day that we could meet at a park or something. I think that would be amazing.

Tons of Chinese food in Sunnyvale. No end of Mexican. Its so hard to narrow it down.

Try: http://www.sanjose.com/restaurants/ or http://www.yelp.com/los-gatos-ca

On Tuesdays, a group called South Bay Free Scholars has its park day. Its a very inclusive, diverse group of people. Kids in a wide range of ages.

That is a great list. I think we are going to be eating well.

I am looking forward to eating things with taste! And vegetables!

I will look into the groups and park days when we get closer to actually moving. I still don't know where in Sunnyvale we will be.

This is going to be fun.... after all this moving part is done.

Jenne