Menu

Interview tips for first job

Night Elf

My ds is 20 and has never had a job. He wants to work part-time. The problem I see is that he has Aspergers and it affects how he interacts with people. I'm trying to coach him to speak clearly and not mumble. He needs to look in the person's face, at least occasional eye contact. I'm finding sample interview questions online to go over with him today. One of them suggests the applicant prepare a short statement on how they can provide the best customer service. This is for a top grocery store in our area. What would he say? I don't know what they mean. Please help us out here.

My 2E ds got his first job at 20. It was really difficult. He actually had applied to many jobs off and on between 18 and 20. It was demoralizing.

I have connections to the job he got. They strung him along through the process. I finally asked them if they weren't going to hire him to tell him how he was deficient. That got one person to ask the person who did final hiring what the problem was since he had passed the skills tests.

I think sometimes employers look suspiciously at older applicants who have never worked. This applies to areas where 15-16 years olds can and do get jobs . I realize there are regions where no teens get jobs. That is not the case where I live. I think they'd rather hire a 16 year old who will be learning how to have a job for the first time than someone older.

Also many jobs asked for a driver's license as identification. I think in my area, not having a license passed 18 is considered suspicious.

So do you know anyone at the store? Do you know anyone who works in a place your ds could work. For anyone connections are important to getting a job. Based on my ds experience I think connections are especially important to people who might not present well for whatever reason. That gets you through the manager who toss an application because what he sees doesn't look "right".

If you don't think you know anyone start digging. I asked ds if he wanted me to ask. Previously he wanted to figure out getting a job all on his own. I would just start asking everyone. Your long time hairdresser may be good friends with guy who owns the game store. Neighbors, old coaches you run into at Target. If ds isn't against it ask his sisters if they can ask around too.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted. I hope it goes well.

As for the customer service statement there are may be key words that store is looking for. You might want to look over their website and see if they have anything about customer service.

Ds2 (18yo) was hired at a grocery store a couple months ago. He had a brief phone interview first where he was asked something along the lines of your question above on customer service. He said something to the effect of greeting customers with a smile and being as helpful as he could. He says he wasn't prepared for the question and it threw him a bit. But his answer must have been ok because he was invited to an in-person interview.

This was his first job interview and first job. He'd applied online and when the chain had a "national hiring event" he went to that. It was very short--he said he had a brief chat with the manager who confirmed that ds2 had already applied and then said he'd add ds2 to his list of potential interviews. He did dress up--slacks and button-down shirt, no tie--for the event even though it was just an informal, walk-in kind of thing. We wondered if the store managers shared their lists because a couple weeks later ds2 was called in by the store across town.

Good luck to your ds!

Thank you ladies! Ds is very nervous about this whole process. And yes, we're worried about someone willing to give him a chance at the age of 20. I know he can be hired by one grocery store, Kroger. It seems they are always hiring. He's thinking about some other places like Target. I'm a little dubious about that for his first job though, if they plan on putting him on the floor and not as a cashier. I don't know if he can handle that or not. This will be an interesting process.

Thank you ladies! Ds is very nervous about this whole process. And yes, we're worried about someone willing to give him a chance at the age of 20. I know he can be hired by one grocery store, Kroger. It seems they are always hiring. He's thinking about some other places like Target. I'm a little dubious about that for his first job though, if they plan on putting him on the floor and not as a cashier. I don't know if he can handle that or not. This will be an interesting process.

I worked at Target in high school and there are quite a few options "in the back" with little or no customer interaction. Maybe he would like something like that? Stock room organizing, mailing off defective merchandise, getting items ready to be pushed out onto the sales floor. Just a thought.

Good luck to your son. I hope he finds the perfect fit!

My son with Aspergers got his first job at a local discount grocery store doing stock.  It worked out very well for him.  He did have to go on many interviews before he was hired and it was definitely tough on him.  Having your ds practice speaking clearly and making eye contact is great.  As far as answering about customer service, the idea to look at the company website to find keywords is an excellent idea.  Otherwise, I think saying something about going out of your way to make sure customers are satisfied - being friendly and helpful - is pretty basic.  You don't want to overwhelm ds with too many things to think about at once.  

Good luck to him!  

Edited by Erica H

We go often to Trader Joe's. What the staff has done to help me were

-helping me get items on the top shelves, I am 5'3"

-checking their backroom for something I need that is sold out on the display

-help me push the shopping cart to the car when I need help out for various reasons

-asking if I would like a shopping basket or cart if I have my hands full

Both Target and the supermarkets have stockers and they don't need to interact with customers.

Good luck.

• Like 1

At Whole Foods, the employees always walk me to the aisle when I ask where something is (which is often because they change things up all the time).

Another good response would be something about finding out the answer to a customer's question if he doesn't know the answer himself.

Basically, they want to hear some semblance of "I get that customer service is important and I'll do what I can to serve the customers well."

Good luck!

• Like 1