Menu

Can anyone recommend...

fractalgal

I don't have a recommendation, but we used First Language Lessons for 1st & 2nd grades. For third we used Rod and Staff level 3 and we are finishing it up this year. So far the only thing new we have learned in rod and staff is sentence diagramming. Everything else is review. Had I known this I probably wouldn't have chosen it as recommended in WTM.

Tracy

secular: Growing with Grammar

extremely religious: Rod & Staff English

Right now I am using Rod & Staff, but my daughter is not liking it as well as I thought she would.

I've considered Growing With Grammar. Can you compare it to Rod & Staff? Is it about the same, just without the religious angle?

we are trying cozy grammar this year, and it's going well. it's a little odd, and a little cozy. you watch a lesson on dvd, (we get the fire going and get on the couch with a blanket) then you do a worksheet. we do quite a bit of other grammar work, but you might want to check this out. they have dvd sample on their site. the company is called splashes from the river

We're using A Beka's Language 3 Workbook and Primary Language Lessons. I really like the combination. A Beka's workbook gives us the "rules" and practice applying the rules. PLL is a more "gentle" approach and give her "real life" examples and practice using the English Language. There's also memorization, picture lessons and composition mixed in. I didn't buy the answer key for A Beka because I didn't figure I needed it, and PLL is just the one book.

We use Shurley English. It is a very thorough program. We attempted to switch over to Rod and Staff for 4th grade English but it seemed like it had an excess of busy work. I know many families do parts of Rod and Staff orally so that might help. We just don't need 12 sentences to drill the point.

great things about Rod and Staff.

I am using Growing with Grammar 5 with my fifth grader. I would highly recommend First Language Lessons 3(FLL3). I like what they have done.

Also, I check out Our Mother Tongue. I like Ms. Wilson's style. You can check out the table of contents on Amazon.com or google "Our Mother Tongue."

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I've used both R&S English and Growing with Grammar. I think they're very comparable.

I like GWG better because the pages are less cluttered, the student workbook provides most of the sentences already written out, where in R&S the student has to re-write the entire sentences.

And, I appreciate the variety of sentences in GWG. R&S content is heavily religious -- which is fine, it that's what you're looking for. :)

A Beka Language 3 is a good intro to mechanics, I think. It's very thorough in covering the rules for punctuation, capitalization, etc. It doesn't spend as much time on parts of speech as I'd like, but a simple understanding of them from using FLL was more than enough base. We switched to GWG for 4th and have been very pleased. No idea what GWG 3 looks like.

I'm using GWG3 with my son and another 8 yo boy. I'm using GWG5 for my oldest daughter. I really like it. It also reviews various topics throughout the year so they don't forget what they learned. It also complements WTs really well if you want the extra grammar.