Menu

Vacation with a 16 year old gamer in mind, ideas?

foxbridgeacademy

DS who will be 16 next Summer wants to go to NYC with his cousins. :svengo: There would be 2 other 16 year old's, an 18 year old, and then my brother who is 22.  I've said no.  That is not going to change. I have agreed if they go again the next year I will consider letting him go.

That's all beside the point.  My guilt about being a crazy, over-protective mom made me offer to take him and his sister plus 1 more (whichever cousin he wants) anywhere East of the Rockies next year.  He's a gamer, online/video games and D&D. I'm going to try to save up enough by March to go to PAX (whatever that is) but in case that doesn't happen where else within a 16 hour drive of Nashville would a kid like this find activities to interest him?  Preferably after May but can be anytime in Spring/Summer/Fall. 

Things he's not into- are too numerous to really list but not hiking/swimming/outdoors stuff.

Things he likes right now other than Video games and D&D?  Hamilton and That's it.  :glare:  DD doesn't care as long as we go to a big city, but she's just a tag along (DS will be paying for a large part of the Vacation).

I would go to Chicago and stay d.t.  My nephew was similar and that was one of his favorite places to go.  It was busy and interesting with an exciting, colorful vibe.  He and my sister saw a show, and spent a lot of time walking around and exploring the city.  There's so much to do and see there and very walkable and easy to figure out.  Or, you can hop on a bus on Michigan Ave.  

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

Be aware that if you want to stay at one of the DragonCon hotels, you will need to try to get a room about a year in advance. I don't remember when exactly the hotels open up their booking, but I'm thinking Oct. 1. They sell out almost immediately. Also, it is much cheaper if you buy your passes way ahead of time as the price increases as the time of the Con approaches.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

Be aware that if you want to stay at one of the DragonCon hotels, you will need to try to get a room about a year in advance. I don't remember when exactly the hotels open up their booking, but I'm thinking Oct. 1. They sell out almost immediately. Also, it is much cheaper if you buy your passes way ahead of time as the price increases as the time of the Con approaches.

The cheapest ticket prices were through May 13th this year, so it would be around there next year.

Host hotels are really hard to get, they use a Room Key system now, but Atlanta does have quite a few options.  If you don't mind the rail, there is a MARTA stop in the midst of Dragon Con, so you could stay at a hotel near one of the other stations.  If you want to look ahead, here is the hotel info for this year:

http://www.dragoncon.org/?q=host_hotels_view

http://www.dragoncon.org/?q=hotels_overflow

(BTW, despite the fact that every single photo has people in costume, not everyone dresses up for Dragon Con.  Costumed people just make more interesting photos.  There are plenty of normal people milling about. )

Edited by Joules
  • Like 2

So DragonCon is about it? I knew about the Indy one but the kids want to go away from here (TN) and not to Indiana, that's where we're from.  Thinking like East Coast or FL/GA/AL, nothing West of Denver (even that's probably too far). 

Dragon Con isn't the only thing in the South, it's just the big one.

Here is a more comprehensive list of options:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gaming_conventions#United_States

Most are smaller, but if he wants something very specific, he can research the individual cons.  

I knew about MomoCon.  Most people I know go for the anime, but it looks like they have lots of video game related things now.  It has grown significantly.

• Like 1