Menu

I need an interesting read a loud..

Peaceful Isle

Okay, I have dropped the ball with read a louds. I admit. My kids have read almost every book out there  themselves, though.

I need some ideas on a book to start reading out loud starting September. I need it to be interesting for ages 5-12. Tall order, I know :) 

What are the rare finds for reading?

One I got from Jim Trelease that I'd never seen before but LOVED reading aloud was Wolf Story by William McCleery, which sometimes made me laugh so hard I couldn't continue reading. A fantastic read-aloud.

I also like A Wave in Her Pocket, The People Could Fly, and From Sea to Shining Sea (actually a treasury of stories and songs) if you want to start out with stories you can read all in one sitting.

My kids liked Edward Eager (the Half Magic series), and E. Nesbit's 5 Children and It trilogy, too. Oh, and they loved Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus-- good if your kids enjoy Greek myths and if you think your 5 year old can handle them.

• Like 1

Twenty-One Balloons, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Mary Poppins, Witch of Blackbird Pond, Shadow Spinner by Fletcher, Where the Red Fern Grows

Do be careful if you read Mary Poppins out loud.  We got to the part with the "pickaninnies" eating watermelon and I was done.  A quick peek at the rest of the world tour showed I wasn't being too cautious.  And I'm usually pretty okay with vintage children's literature.  I've heard recent copies whitewash it, but I'm not sure how recent.  Our library copy was obviously not recent enough.

• Like 2

My oldest two love Percy Jackson and more of that type and of sci yuck, lol Too much for my 5 year old. My ten and twelve year old have loved sisters grim, hardy boys, Nancy Drew, series of unfortunate events, all nesbits series, and most of what was mentioned in this post. They have read all the Ronald daul, cleary, and type like that years ago.

I would love a lovely series like Beverly cleary, or whatever... Just a feel good series that want to come back to and have memories of later :)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Edited by Peacefulisle

Ralph Moody's Little Britches Series has been one of our favorites over they years. 

C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia is another favorite.  It has the added benefit of being the kind of books that you get different things out of at different stages of life, so it's great for a wide age range and rereadings.

• Like 1

We read Half Magic over the summer.  It was a huge hit with everyone (ages 6 to 13)!  They also enjoyed Mary Pope Osborne's Tales From the Odyssey.  

EB White, Narnia, and Little House books are always a hit with them too.  All of a Kind Family was a great choice for us too...I was surprised how much my DS liked in, since it's a book about a family of girls.  

Edited by Holly
  • Like 3