Menu

How does your college student watch movies in the dorm?

KarenNC

We were discussing dvds and blurays this morning and I started to wonder how most college students watch movies in their rooms now. Based on discussions about what to take for college, it seems most students are using their laptops or tablets for media rather than bringing a separate tv. It also seems that many new laptops don't include dvd or bluray drives. So, if they have a laptop without a dvd/bluray drive, do students just stick with what's available on streaming services? Bring an external player?

You can imagine things have changed quite a bit since I lugged my grandmother's 9-inch screen portable black and white tv with me to school in the early 80s to watch broadcast channels and felt lucky to have a tv in the room (while typing my papers on a portable non-electric typewriter). :)

Edited by KarenNC

On the computer, via streaming.

IF she has any time during the semester, which is very rare.

We sent an external drive with DD to college, but after a year it came back home never used.

This sums up my son's experience. He rarely has time to watch movies. I think he watches John Oliver once a week by streaming.

Someone connects their device to a tv in lounge and invites everyone over for the movie or highly popular series. I gather GofThrones has a regularly scheduled place and time , movies are the activitg of choice in bad weather when they want to veg out...but most dont want to put that much free time into a movie.

Thanks for the answers.

My daughter has a small but growing personal dvd/bluray collection (which we are adding to for her upcoming birthday) and many of those are unlikely to be available streaming through the services we have (much of the reason for buying the physical media :) ). She does most of her media consumption on her laptop already, which has a built-in dvd drive. This semester in dual enrollment she has an ASL class that requires access to dvds for homework. We're probably going to be getting her a new laptop to take to college (in two years) and I expect she may want to take some of her dvds with her as well. In leafing through the sale papers today, I noticed that it seems the trend is toward no built-in dvd/cd drive, so I wondered how students whose laptops don't have built-in drives currently watch physical media, or if they just rely on streaming services.

My oldest mostly watched on her laptop, but she only had a roommate her first semester.

My middle dd had two suitemates every semester. They always split up who was bringing what and somebody always brought a tv. We brought it the first year, but other roommates had bigger tvs the other years. My dd always brought her playstation, which is what they used to play dvds, blurays, and Netflix and Amazon Prime.

We were discussing dvds and blurays this morning and I started to wonder how most college students watch movies in their rooms now. Based on discussions about what to take for college, it seems most students are using their laptops or tablets for media rather than bringing a separate tv. It also seems that many new laptops don't include dvd or bluray drives. So, if they have a laptop without a dvd/bluray drive, do students just stick with what's available on streaming services? Bring an external player?

You can imagine things have changed quite a bit since I lugged my grandmother's 9-inch screen portable black and white tv with me to school in the early 80s to watch broadcast channels and felt lucky to have a tv in the room (while typing my papers on a portable non-electric typewriter). :)

I don't remember a lot of movie watching in the dorm. I didn't take a TV (in 1991). My roommate didn't have a TV. There was a TV in the common room you could go watch what other people were watching.  THe Science fiction group met at a Pizza place and watched the latest TNG episode (I think?) There together.

Edited by vonfirmath