Menu

Med school Class Profile

I know some of us on here have younguns who aspire to med school and want to know how to prepare them, esp since med school acceptance rates are down to 39%.

Here's U Rochester's Med School Class of 2019 Profile if anyone wants to see what successful applicants have going for them:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/MediaLibraries/URMCMedia/education/md/documents/2019-profile.pdf

One has to admit, it's pretty darn impressive.

• Like 6

I went to med school with a chemical engineering degree and there were a lot of non-traditional students.

The things that jump out to me in this article are the number of students taking time between college and med school, the percentage that are bilingual, and the number that did overseas medical work.

• Like 1

I went to med school with a chemical engineering degree and there were a lot of non-traditional students.

The things that jump out to me in this article are the number of students taking time between college and med school, the percentage that are bilingual, and the number that did overseas medical work.

The number of years between college and med school surprised me.

All of those you listed were suggested to middle son by his pre-med dept and he's enjoyed(enjoying) ticking them off via his Take 5 year, medical missions trips, and having American Sign Language as his minor, so I suppose I expected to see them. I just didn't realize how many years kids were taking off so much time.  I also didn't realize how many had participated in research.  I thought that part was optional.

I was talking with a local doctor about a year ago (discussing middle son) and she wondered why he was even taking a year off.  "Med school/residency takes so long anyway, why make it longer?"  I mentioned the current line of thinking of wanting kids to go out and see the world + be sure that what they were undertaking was for them.  She wasn't swayed.  I think it's a good idea though.  It also allows them a little break IMO - although that doesn't apply to my guy since he's doing Take 5.  Still, that studying is extra for fun - delving into a subject for the pure curiosity of it, so I suppose that's different than cranking out a major.

• Like 1

I know some of us on here have younguns who aspire to med school and want to know how to prepare them, esp since med school acceptance rates are down to 39%.

Here's U Rochester's Med School Class of 2019 Profile if anyone wants to see what successful applicants have going for them:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/MediaLibraries/URMCMedia/education/md/documents/2019-profile.pdf

One has to admit, it's pretty darn impressive.

That's fun! I remember getting something very similar before starting medical school. It was fun the first week to try and figure out who the more interesting things in the summary belonged to. ;) 

• Like 1

Just an interesting note, if you change the date in the internet link, you can read the profiles going back to 2010 (class of 2014). Lots of the same themes, but I have to say my favorite was the guy (assuming it was a guy) who listed "fatal charm" as one of his strengths. There was a theater major in one of the years that I read. 

There are definitely patterns to the people they take. (Woe to the < 5% who don't participate in research or go on a missions trip in a foreign country!) 

• Like 2

Just an interesting note, if you change the date in the internet link, you can read the profiles going back to 2010 (class of 2014). Lots of the same themes, but I have to say my favorite was the guy (assuming it was a guy) who listed "fatal charm" as one of his strengths. There was a theater major in one of the years that I read. 

There are definitely patterns to the people they take. (Woe to the < 5% who don't participate in research or go on a missions trip in a foreign country!) 

They definitely use the same template each year.  I've read them all each year since 2011 when URoc came on our radar as a potential undergrad school for middle son.  At the time I was looking to educate myself on what med school took in order to be a decent guidance counselor for him. (This is why I posted it - for future pre-med counselors.)  Once in college that position got taken over by his pre-med department, of course, and I think they've done an excellent job.  He can tick off pretty much everything on their list (big stuff - and has his own individual stuff) and he's enjoyed all of it - it's not just box checking.

Time will tell how he does with his apps.  He's going for the NIH MSTP programs that are even more highly selective than med school... so applied to 20 schools (number of schools recommended by his MD/PhD mentor based upon what he wants to research).  Med school (without the research) is his Plan B at this point.  I'm pretty confident that he'll at least get Plan B.  I'm hopeful for him with Plan A.  I know there's a ton of equally talented competition.

With your link, my favorite one was the "slow" jogger!

I wish they'd use a graphic designer and make that into a better info graphic. It annoyed me reading it. I guess I'm a data snob now!! I loved the info, though!

Really?  I like reading it even if it's the same story with minor changes each year.  Knowing there are so many young adults out there who have accomplished so much (and gotten terrific grades while doing it) gives me hope for the world.  Seeing it as data (to me) would make it far less personal.