Menu

Favorite lit for Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation?

What age/level would you prefer? :)

ETA: Sorry, I've just realized that this is on the Logic board... :)

Here are some of our favorites:

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orfeo by J. R. R. Tolkien

Beowulf by Burton Raffel or Heaney

Canterbury Tales Retold by Geraldine McCaughrean

Tales of the Crusades by Olivia Coolidge

The Story of King Arthur and His Knights by Howard Pyle +The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions by Howard Pyle

Scottish Chiefs by Jane Porter

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

Mark of the Horse Lord by Rosemary Sutcliff

A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond

Song for a Dark Queen by Rosemary Sutcliff

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel

Terror of the Spanish Main by Albert Marrin

The Utopia by Sir Thomas More

In the Days of Queen Elizabeth by Eva March Tappan

Walter Raleigh: Man of Two Worlds (Landmark) by Buckmaster

Mary, Queen of Scots by Emily Hahn
The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
Henry V by Shakespeare

Edited by Kfamily
  • Like 2

Kfamily has a GREAT list for late middle school/early high school. :) From your signature, your DC are ages 11 and 9? Based on that, here are a few favorites:

Non Fiction

Metropolis series: Viking Town; Inca TownAncient African Town (kingdoms flowered in Middle Ages)

Inside Story: Samurai Castle (MacDonald)

Readers -- gr. 3-5

Brendan the Navigator (Fritz)

The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

Readers -- gr. 6-8

Red Hugh, Prince of Donegal (Reilly) -- ripping adventure/prison escape tale set during 16th century

Adam of the Road (Grey)

Shakespeare Stealer (Blackwood)

The Midwife's Apprentice (Cushman) -- I thought this was a stronger book because the young teen character is very realistically self-centered and grows, but Catherine Called Birdy will probably appeal more to a tween/teen girl 

The Samurai's Tale (Haugaard) -- mature themes and writing -- best for grade 8 and up

The Master Puppeteer (Paterson) -- 18th century Japan

Sign of the Chrysanthemum (Paterson) -- 12th century Japan

Read Alouds

Tenggren's Canterbury Tales -- prose adaptation, but captures the feel/tone/language of the original while staying accessible -- this is super for grades 7-12; plus, unique illustration style
Tenggren's Golden Tales from Arabian Nights -- gorgeous illustrations, and very nice retelling of the tales

The Story of Siegfried (Baldwin)

Sword in the Stone (White)

Just for Fun Read Alouds -- ETA links for reading online

Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien)

The Reluctant Dragon (Graham)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I'm still working on my 1500-1850ish list, but I bought the Portable Renaissance Reader, which is a great collection of primary source material. It's a large book so we certainly won't read them all, but it has an incredible selection.

I have Rob Shearer's Voices of the Renaissance and Reformation: Primary Source Documents and the OUP Medieval and Early Modern primary sources volume. 

Yes, Lori, I am looking for my 11 y.o.Thanks for the great suggestions! Some there I don't know.

KFamily, some of your titles are too old for my sixth grader. I will keep the list for next time around! We will do McCaughrean's Canterbury Tales, though and parts of Coolidge's book too. I own Heaney's Beowulf, but she will listen to (at least part of) that on audiobook and read Serraillier's much shorter version.  She will probably read several Landmark biographies and Mary, Queen of Scots interests her. We have done Wallace and Bruce several times here, so The Scottish Chiefs will continue to sit on my shelf for a while longer. She dislikes Sir Walter Scott but likes Sutcliff. Several of her books on my list. I haven't read Tolkien's Gawain, so ordered it from the library today. Wrote my first "A" paper in college on Gawain and the Green Knight! 

Dd will be using K12 HO as her spine with lots and lots of extra reading, a mix of  classics, biographies, and historical fiction. 

I am good to go on books for Ds. Love to pull out my SOTW AG with a 5 page booklist in it! 

Trying to balance kids studying the same time period using different spine texts. RA are together and some books both will read, others only one. Whew, this is work to prep!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

Here are some more that we like that may work better...you may already have these on your list though... :)

Viking Tales by Jennie Hall

Saladin by Diane Stanley

Joan of Arc by Diane Stanley

The Cloudmakers by James Rumford

Till Year's Good End by W. Nikola-lisa

Muhammad by Demi

Marguerite Makes a Book by Bruce Robertson

From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World by James Rumford

Good Queen Bess by Diane Stanley

Bard of Avon by Diane Stanley

Famous Legends by Emeline G. Crommelin

Book of Norse Myths by Ingri and Parin D'Aulaire

Beowulf: A Hero's Tale Retold by Jame Rumford

The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning

Merlin and the Dragons by Jane Yolen

Chanticleer and the Fox by Barbara Cooney

Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from A Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz

Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle (Or Roger L Green)

Tales From Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb

The Vikings by Elizabeth Janeway

That Men Shall Be Free: The Story of the Magna Carta by Clifford Lindsey Alderman

Here are some art related books too:

Michelangelo by Diane Stanley

Leonardo da Vinci by Diane Stanley

Leonardo's Horse by Jean Fritz

The Neptune Fountain: The Apprenticeship of a Renaissance Sculptor by Taylor Morrison

The Fantastic Journey of Pieter Bruegel by Anders C. Shafer

Marguerite Makes a Book by Bruce Robertson

The Illuminated Alphabet by Theodore Menten

Gabriel and the Hour Book by Stein

Antonio's Apprenticeship: Painting a Fresco in Renaissance Italy by Taylor Morrison

Pippo the Fool by Tracey E. Fern

The Second Mrs. Giaconda by E. L. Konigsburg

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg

Cathedral: The Story of its Construction by David Macaulay (architecture)

Castle by David Macaulay (architecture)

Edited by Kfamily
  • Like 3

Yes, Lori, I am looking for my 11 y.o...

KFamily, some of your titles are too old for my sixth grader. I will keep it for next time around! We will do McCaughrean's Canterbury Tales, though and parts of Coolidge's book too. I own Heaney's Beowulf, but she will listen to (at least part of) that on audiobook and read Serraillier's much shorter version… I haven't read Tolkien's Gawain, so ordered it from the library today...

I just did Heaney's Beowulf and Tolkien's Sir Gawain with my high school Lit & Comp class this past year. Frankly, the 9th and 10th graders were pretty lost and really needed the section or chapter summaries that I provided. And this was a class of students who were average-to-advanced readers, so no remedial students and no "slouches" at critical thinking. The poetic form for each of these works was a HUGE hurdle for the students to clear, and the themes in Sir Gawain are subtle and mature, and deeply embedded in the medieval culture, which requires doing some deeper digging of the social, political, and religious culture of the time. All of those make for reasons why I just think it's worth waiting on both of these works, esp. since there already is a TON of great fiction written for the gr. 5-8 crowd that is set in that time frame of 1000AD to 1700AD that you're going to have to make cuts to -- and you WILL get to Beowulf and Sir Gawain in high school. :)

I'd strongly suggest holding off even on listening to these two specific versions of these two works until next go-around. If you really really really want to do a prose version of either of these, Michael Morpurgo has a nice simplified language prose retelling of each of Sir Gawain and Beowulf that is quite faithful to the original texts. H.E. Marshall also has a nice abridged retelling of Beowulf, but even better -- perfectly geared for 6th grade solo reading -- are the highly illustrated abridged adaptation of James Rumford's Beowulfand Selina Hastings' short picture book of Sir Gawain. Or you can do the Rumford and Hasting books with both your 11yo and 9yo as family read-alouds for fun. I have to confess -- meh, not a fan of Serraillier's abridged Beowulf -- the poetry of Heaney's version is so lovely that Serraillier just seems ham-fisted to me. JMO, but far better at the age of your children to go with the story as a ripping good hero tale. ;)

Ooo! Even better -- your whole family can WATCH short versions I linked below. The Beowulf is narrated by Derek Jacobi and keeps some of the vocabulary and rhyme of the original epic poem, although it is a prose retelling, and the artwork attempts to capture the early Medieval/Germanic feel of the times of the presumed author of Beowulf. Below is also an animated Sir Gawain that's a bit goofy, very short, but workable. (Note: I had an extremely hard time finding a version of Sir Gawain that was workable. I liked one 24-min animated version done in an art style like stained glass BUT it focused WAY too much on the lady's seduction of Gawain at the expensive of the rest of the story, plus a shot of her slipping off her robe with full-frontal shot of bare br**sts for a sustained shot… sigh. Other versions completely cut out the lady's multiple visits and just have one chaste visit, which abridges the power of the story cutting back and forth between Gawain "hunted" by the Lady and the Lord hunting animals out in the woods…)

(26:45) on YouTube

(6:00) on YouTube

JMO! Enjoy your Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation studies! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Okay, back again. Apparently I can't help myself. (lol)

Just saw that Mary Pope Osborne has a book of Favorite Medieval Tales that includes a retelling of Beowulf and Sir Gawain -- plus Robin Hood, Chanticleer and the Fox (Canterbury Tales), and The Song of Roland, as well as 4 more tales. Don't know how good the writing is… Amazon says it's geared for grades 4-9.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Okay, back again. Apparently I can't help myself. (lol)

Just saw that Mary Pope Osborne has a book of Favorite Medieval Tales that includes a retelling of Beowulf and Sir Gawain -- plus Robin Hood, Chanticleer and the Fox (Canterbury Tales), and The Song of Roland, as well as 4 more tales. Don't know how good the writing is… Amazon says it's geared for grades 4-9.

We used it last year some, but DD thought it was too simple. I have a hard time finding appropriately-leveled items for her right now. A lot of the excellent materials are either perfect for upper elementary or high school. We used a lot of the middle ages materials identified as grade 6-8 last year (6th) and many were too young. We loved some like Cushman and a few others, but others weren't as successful. I would prefer to defer actual Beowulf and Chaucer, etc. for high school too. 

I'm leaning towards using a lot more readings from the Portable Reader instead. The readings are brief and from such a diverse and representative group. So far I just have I, Juan de Pareja and Perilous Gard on my list for this upcoming year. But, I'm still researching.

Thanks for the ideas, Lori. 

I reserved Tolkien's Gawain for me, not as an option for my Dd! I will get to reread Heaney's Beowulf for SWB's lit class this fall.  :)

We have the Mary Pope Osborne book and it is great for grammar stage.

We also have the Rumford Beowulf and Roger Lancelyn Green's King Arthur, which includes a Gawain retelling.

Glad to see my library has the Hastings version and both of the Morpurgo books. 

There is indeed a wealth of historical fiction for this time period! My list is still uncut in that area - need to organize it a bit more then let Dd help shape the final version. Trying to figure out which ones to save for RA. Ds doesn't really remember the ones we did (and loved!) 4 years ago.

So many good choices! The biographies too, are a huge list. 

My Dd is a fast reader and will enjoy devouring a large shelf of history next year. The K12 text is light, especially since we are doing a 4 year cycle, so she has loads of time for reading other things. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I'm still working on my 1500-1850ish list, but I bought the Portable Renaissance Reader, which is a great collection of primary source material. It's a large book so we certainly won't read them all, but it has an incredible selection.

We used the Portable Renaissance Reader along with Renaissance and Reformation Times by Dorothy Mills when my older daughter was in 8th grade. We loved the combination and the short primary sources were a great way to introduce her to some slightly heavier reading. I liked the combination so much that I even bought the Portable Medieval Reader too. I'm currently writing the guides for both books by Dorothy Mills for the middle ages/renaissance and should be finished with both soon. The guides include selections from both readers.

Just wanted to agree with you that the readers are a great collection of primary sources and a good stepping stone for upper middle school/lower high school students who are ready to bring their level up. They are probably too much for the OP's 6th grader, but might be good for tucking away for later. :)

I don't see this mentioned often here, so it's nice to read about someone else who likes them.

Edited by Kfamily
  • Like 3

On 7/11/2016 at 6:24 PM, deerforest said:

We used it last year some, but DD thought it was too simple. I have a hard time finding appropriately-leveled items for her right now. A lot of the excellent materials are either perfect for upper elementary or high school. We used a lot of the middle ages materials identified as grade 6-8 last year (6th) and many were too young. We loved some like Cushman and a few others, but others weren't as successful. I would prefer to defer actual Beowulf and Chaucer, etc. for high school too. 

I'm leaning towards using a lot more readings from the Portable Reader instead. The readings are brief and from such a diverse and representative group. So far I just have I, Juan de Pareja and Perilous Gard on my list for this upcoming year. But, I'm still researching.

If you don't mind backtracking at the start of your new school year (or this summer) for a few Medieval books, these might be more at your DD's level:

- Quest for a Maid (Hendry)
- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett)
- A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver (Konigsberg)
- Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village (Schlitz)

So, what time period are you looking to fill? It looks like Renaissance through...? Here are a few ideas:

1500s = A Murder for Her Majesty (Hilgartner)
1500s = The King's Fifth (O'Dell)
1500s = Walk the World's Rim (Baker)
1500s = The Samurai's Tale (Haugaard)
1600s = The Iron Peacock (Clarke)
1665 = Master Cornhill (Magraw)
1687 = The Witch of Blackbird Pond (Speare)
1700s = The Master Puppeteer (Paterson)
1700s = The Sherwood Ring (Pope)
1754 = Calico Captive (Speare)
1750/60s = I Am Regina (Keehn)
1750/60s = Indian Captive (Lenski)
1777 = Arrow Over the Door (Bruchac)
1768 = Stowaway (Hesse)
1790s = Naya Nuki, The Shoshone Girl Who Ran (Thomasa) -- while the reading level is gr. 4-6 grade, the escape/survival story has a wide interest range

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Lori D.

I just watched the Sir Gawain video - whoa, 😱

Which one? The one I linked or the one I described and did NOT link?

(If that one I described with the full-frontal, I thought you'd appreciate my near-escape of a disaster: I *almost* linked that one to send out to my co-op class of students after only watching the first 5 minutes, and all seemed fine… Thank HEAVENS I listened to that little voice in the back of my head that said "You really should watch the whole thing, just to be sure there's nothing in the scenes with Gawain and the Lady that's inappropriate…"   :eek:  :svengo: )

• Like 1

If you don't mind backtracking at the start of your new school year (or this summer) for a few Medieval books, these might be more at your DD's level:

- Quest for a Maid (Hendry)

- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett)

- A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver (Konigsberg)

- Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village (Schlitz)

So, what time period are you looking to fill? It looks like Renaissance through….? Here are a few ideas:

1500s = A Murder for Her Majesty (Hilgartner)

1500s = The King's Fifth (O'Dell)

1500s = Walk the World's Rim (Baker)

1500s = The Samurai's Tale (Haugaard)

1600s = The Iron Peacock (Clarke)

1665 = Master Cornhill (Magraw)

1687 = The Witch of Blackbird Pond (Speare)

1700s = The Master Puppeteer (Paterson)

1700s = The Sherwood Ring (Pope)

1754 = Calico Captive (Speare)

1750/60s = I Am Regina (Keehn)

1750/60s = Indian Captive (Lenski)

1777 = Arrow Over the Door (Bruchac)

1768 = Stowaway (Hesse)

1790s = Naya Nuki, The Shoshone Girl Who Ran (Thomasa) -- while the reading level is gr. 4-6 grade, the escape/survival story has a wide interest range

Lori, you are the most helpful poster here--I just wanted to say that! We actually read Scarlet and Miniver and Good Masters! both last year. She did like them!

I'm basically using the first 3 chapters of Human Odyssey 2, which is roughly Renaissance/Reformation, Exploration, and Revolutions. I really don't want to get into the US Civil War this year so I somewhat arbitrarily chose 1850, even though we will go beyond that with some of these topics. We are also using the last 3 OUP books, Hakim's science, OUP's technology series, and many other supplemental documentaries and readings. I want time to go deep.

I think some of the ones you suggested might work well! Books about Native Americans are a tricky one for us so not sure any of the ones about captivity will work. We're an adoptive family, and she's Guatemalan Mayan and very sensitive to this topic throughout the Americas. We spent the elementary years focusing on Native American history culture and then about 1 year of American history since Columbus.

Edited by deerforest

Which one? The one I linked or the one I described and did NOT link?

(If that one I described with the full-frontal, I thought you'd appreciate my near-escape of a disaster: I *almost* linked that one to send out to my co-op class of students after only watching the first 5 minutes, and all seemed fine… Thank HEAVENS I listened to that little voice in the back of my head that said "You really should watch the whole thing, just to be sure there's nothing in the scenes with Gawain and the Lady that's inappropriate…" :eek: :svengo: )

The linked one. I have yet to read this though it sits on my shelf. I didn't know what it was about. I think I'll hold off reading this one.

😉

… I'm basically using the first 3 chapters of Human Odyssey 2, which is roughly Renaissance/Reformation, Exploration, and Revolutions. I really don't want to get into the US Civil War this year so I somewhat arbitrarily chose 1850, even though we will go beyond that with some of these topics. We are also using the last 3 OUP books, Hakim's science, OUP's technology series, and many other supplemental documentaries and readings. I want time to go deep...

Wow, that sounds SUPER! :)

…Books about Native Americans are a tricky one for us so not sure any of the ones about captivity will work. We're an adoptive family, and she's Guatemalan Mayan and very sensitive to this topic throughout the Americas. We spent the elementary years focusing on Native American history culture and then about 1 year of American history since Columbus.

Oops! My bad. Sounds like books exploring other countries would be a better fit… Hmmm, that's a tougher bill to fit, as that time frame does not get as much exposure in children's and YA fiction (other than Colonial America, which has a TON)… Most of the non-American works seem to be set either in Ancient/Medieval times or in 20th century… Especially hard to find well-written works… And ones with female protagonists… Anyways, below are a few more ideas for you. Hope something fits and is enjoyable! Warmest regards, Lori D.

1492 = First Voyage to America: From the Log of the "Santa Maria" -- non-fiction

1500s = The Fantastic Journey of Peter Bruegel (Anders)

1500s = The Vanishing Point (Hawes) -- Lavinia Fontana, Italian Renaissance painter  -- read the editorial reviews on Amazon -- there may be some odd/difficult aspects to this fictionalized biography

1518 = To The Edge of the World (Torrey) -- orphaned cabin boy with Magellan, first to circumnavigate the globe -- note: book opens with boy buying his parents

1520s = The Hawk That Dare Not Hunt By Night (O'Dell) -- about William Tyndale, Bible translator

1600 = The Shakespeare Stealer (Blackwood) -- fast easy read, a bit implausible but quite fun

1666 = Master Cornhill (Magraw) -- plague, and, the Great Fire of London

1666 = A Parcel of Patterns (Walsh) -- plague in England

1750s = Flame Colored Taffeta (Sutcliff) -- adventure with smugglers and Bonnie Prince Charles

1790s/1800s = Carry On Mr. Bowditch (Latham) -- Nathaniel Bowditch and naval navigation

1800s = The Gate in the Wall (Howard) -- child labor and Industrial Revolution/English mills; dialect and jargon may be a stumbling block

(a similar topic/setting is Jonathan by Margaret Lovett -- out-of-print, but well-written, and at a higher reading level -- gr. 8+ -- similar to her book The Great and Terrible Quest in that the author leaves a lot of room for the reader to engage and the reader has to make the inferences that the author does not directly "tell" -- that is a more mature reader skill than many young middle school students are ready for)

1816 = The Journeyman (Yates) -- gentle early America, young man apprentices to a painter

1832 = The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Avi) -- sailing, mutiny

1835 = The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed (Frederick) -- whaling

1850s = Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shoguns (Blumberg) -- non-fiction

Royal Diaries series -- not personally familiar with the quality, but some are in your time frame:

1544 = Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England (Lasky)

1553 = Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country, France (Lasky)

1595 = Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa (McKissack)

1627 = Jahanara: Princess of Princesses, India (Lasky)

1638 = Kristina: The Girl King, Sweden (Meyer)

1653 = Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts-Rhode Island (Sith)

1743 = Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia (Gregory)

1769 = Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria-France (Lasky)

Girls of Many Lands series -- a few of the books in this series look pretty good (no personal experience):

1846 = Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Kurtz) -- Ethiopia

1857 = Spring Pearl: Last of the Flower Girls (Yep) -- China

1890s = Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway (Hill) -- Yup'ik Eskimo

• Like 2

Sorry for spinning the conversation on to my needs in this thread! I didn't mean to; I was just researching the same era!

But, Lori, no need to apologize! :D I wouldn't expect you to have any idea about our special concerns for Native American readings! I do want less focus on American history so thank you for the other list. I had a couple of those on my list to consider, but there are several I haven't seen. Thank you! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lori--just wanted to let you know that we started with Vanishing Point, and neither DD nor I can put it down, but we have to so we can do other things. It was a perfect choice for her! Thanks for that suggestion! I am using several others so I'll update how we like them, if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Lori--just wanted to let you know that we started with Vanishing Point, and neither DD nor I can put it down, but we have to so we can do other things. It was a perfect choice for her! Thanks for that suggestion! I am using several others so I'll update how we like them, if anyone is interested.

Yea! That is terrific. And updates would be great -- I always love to hear how things go, and I'm sure others would love to have a firsthand review on some of these titles. :)