Menu

I'm looking to hire a nutritionist...I think.

momee

I'd like to hire someone to sit down with me and go over food issues in our home, talk about what foods we should avoid, what foods we need to eat more of, and help me make a plan.

I'm hoping that the person I speak to is very aware of how food affects brain function as well as promotes healthy gut function.  We have diabetes, weight and tummy issues between the 7 of us and I am at the point I would love to get the meal decisions off my plate and simply cook the food that will help all of us.

Is that person a nutritionist?  If so, where do I get a referral?  Just scope the internet?

I wanted to learn about foods as well and not get "sugar" so I contacted our insurance company first.    We have an excellent plan.   I'm allowed to go see a nutritionist everyday if I so desire at 100 % coverage. 

This coming Tuesday is my next appt.   It's been a roller coaster ride for me.   My goal is improve health AND to lose weight/inches, etc.  I did fine spring last year and was losing weight but then my Dad passed away in August, DD had a grand mal, DH went to er and I ate for comfort.   Weight crept back on.  I'm in process of working to lose it again.

I must learn not to be an emotionally-driven eater. 

So, I called the insurance company first to learn everything about coverage AND who was in network.  Then my dr. suggested a place.  Our insurance company said this place and nutritionist were both covered so I called and scheduled a first time appt. last July or August and it's been about a year.   BECAUSE our insurance covers this I go in on a regular basis. 

She and I chat.  It's good!  

• Like 2

I highly recommend seeking out a Registered Dietitian and not a nutritionist.

Nutritionist is not a protected designation meaning anyone can call themselves one, regardless of their education, skills or training.

If you decide to go on your own instead, you could sign up with one of those meal planning sites. Forks Over Knives has an app. Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has a 21 Day reset plan. Or there's Meal Mentor at getmealplans.com

• Like 5

I might be inclined to find a holistic nutritionist or a functional medicine doc. I think the majority of the registered dietician's follow the governmental recommendations for healthy eating, which really is not the most healthy way to eat.

I'm currently getting certified myself and would be happy to see what I could do to help. I wouldn't charge you, so if you don't like my recommendations, at least you haven't lost any money on the deal. Feel free to PM me.

• Like 3

I think that in order to find someone who will inform you in detail about brain function and healthy gut function you will really have to seek local recommendations. I've spoken with a couple (funded by my work) and when I had similar questions they really weren't sure. My friends who went said they were fine with questions like "how can I integrate more fruits and vegetables into my life" or "where are places I can cut out calories" or "how can I get myself to eat breakfast instead of ending up at the vending machines by ten" or similar ones. 

• Like 1

I highly recommend seeking out a Registered Dietitian and not a nutritionist.

Nutritionist is not a protected designation meaning anyone can call themselves one, regardless of their education, skills or training.

If you decide to go on your own instead, you could sign up with one of those meal planning sites. Forks Over Knives has an app. Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has a 21 Day reset plan. Or there's Meal Mentor at getmealplans.com

As an R. D. I second this. Much like MD's you may have to try 2 or 3 to find a good fit for your goals but at least you are guaranteed a trusted credential with an ethics policy.

• Like 3

I wanted to learn about foods as well and not get "sugar" so I contacted our insurance company first.    We have an excellent plan.   I'm allowed to go see a nutritionist everyday if I so desire at 100 % coverage. 

This coming Tuesday is my next appt.   It's been a roller coaster ride for me.   My goal is improve health AND to lose weight/inches, etc.  I did fine spring last year and was losing weight but then my Dad passed away in August, DD had a grand mal, DH went to er and I ate for comfort.   Weight crept back on.  I'm in process of working to lose it again.

I must learn not to be an emotionally-driven eater. 

So, I called the insurance company first to learn everything about coverage AND who was in network.  Then my dr. suggested a place.  Our insurance company said this place and nutritionist were both covered so I called and scheduled a first time appt. last July or August and it's been about a year.   BECAUSE our insurance covers this I go in on a regular basis. 

She and I chat.  It's good!  

I have not even thought of doing this.  I should look into it.  We have good coverage as well, although I assume ours would include a co-pay not be 100% covered.

I have not even thought of doing this.  I should look into it.  We have good coverage as well, although I assume ours would include a co-pay not be 100% covered.

Yes, Dawn.  I was just fed up one day with my food habits and decided I needed/wanted to be more responsible.  With that said and my reply to momee references this, I gained back my weight.  That was due to issues and being stressed.  One of my new added goals is to learn my stress points and not eat my emotions so to speak.  OTOH, I feel I'm being a "little" too hard on myself b/c my Dad did pass away last August.  Still, I need to be more responsible. 

I find when I go to Stephanie she holds me accountable.  She addresses my good progress and ugly weaknesses.  Boy, she's good and calls a spade a spade. I NEED that.  No pretense.  She does it in a helpful and NOT condescending way.

Goals are good to have and this thread has convicted me.   Because I gained weight I've not been going to her as regularly (even though I go this coming Tuesday it's been a loooong time).  I'm ticked off at myself and have pushed this on to the back burner. 

Once you learn the basics you may not need to go as often. Just KEEP implementing what you learn and give yourself grace.  Steph is overweight, ironically.  If she indulges one day she makes up for it the next.  She's lost a bit of weight.  She's around 30 and it is easier to lose weight.  I'm in my 50's and I know I can lose weight but it will take me longer.

And, for me it's about losing weight/inches but also being healthy!!!

• Like 1