Menu

Easiest Grade 1 and 2 Math?

SnMomof7

We are normally a CLE family, but we have a LOT of special needs,therapy appointments, possibly surgery, etc. coming up over the next couple of years. We have 7 kids and the twins are busy toddlers. We had 20 appointments last month, it was crazy. I seriously thought about public school, but I don't think that would be easier.

I think we will do Progressive Phonics for printing and reading.

I need to get DD4 through grades 1 and 2 math, then onto TT3 for 3rd. We are leaning hard on online resources, like Math Seeds, but I wonder if I should have some sort of super simple workbook to do. It must be open and go with super short and simple lessons. This kiddo has some fine motor/perfectionist issues that result in frequent meltdowns.

So...any advice?

If she likes Star Wars, the Star Wars math workbooks are nice. I had read through them at Barnes & Noble out of curiosity. If she likes Disney Princess kind of stuff, the dollar tree store $1 math workbooks are nice for car rides and waiting times.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Workbook-Grade-Workbooks/dp/0761178082

If she prefers something plain, Spectrum and Kumon have math workbooks that might work. B&N has those too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1483808696

ETA:

We use markers for math workbooks when my kids were younger for the dollar tree store ones.

Kumon and Spectrum could have too many questions for some pages.

The Disney Princes books that Dollar tree sells for $1

https://www.amazon.com/Set-Disney-Princess-Workbooks-Alphabet/dp/B0068OT1L6

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

CSMP is great for kids with special needs. Very short lessons at grade one level and only about one worksheet a week for most of the year. You'd need attribute blocks, c-rods, maybe a geoboard, a whiteboard or magnetic erase board and to make up some mini-computers (which the kids can make themselves with some paper and paint.) You do have to actively teach, though not so much with the worksheet lessons, but the lessons are short, sweet and scripted, so perhaps one of your older kids can teach it?  It avoids the fine motor issues, which will, very obligingly, wait to be addressed in some other subject. :p

I don't use the Parade of Problems books, but if you have your eldest teaching CSMP, you might use the Parades of Problems books as sort of exams to update you as to where kiddo is at.

http://stern.buffalostate.edu/CSMPProgram/Primary%20Disk/Start.html

Rod and Staff math has great Teacher's Manuals for those grades (cheap to find used, too); the TM has oral class work and a small amount of chalkboard work that we did together on the whiteboard.  "Math class" with first or second grade usually took less than 15 min. daily. I have found that R&S has a slow and steady pace that makes it easy to get done consistently.

If you don't want the R&S student books for those ages (lots of writing, especially in the 2nd grade books), you could teach using the TM's and use a Spectrum math book for paper work.  You may need to cross out some of the problems in the Spectrum books, because they don't always give enough white space to write. 

This combination of R&S TM's done mostly orally, and Spectrum workbooks for practice worked very well for one of mine when he was going through an especially rough patch.  He was having medical issues with good days and BAD days, and lots of medical appointments.  I needed something that was do-able for * both * of us. :)

:grouphug:   and prayers for you and your family; sounds like you have a full load right now. :grouphug:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. She looooves Math Seeds, actually. She has been devouring it.

Do you also use the worksheets? We use Mathseeds to augment Singapore Math, but I think it's a great program and very complete-- it duplicates everything we do in SM! I'd just look over the list of topics so I could go over the lesson with some kind of real-life manipulatives (if she needs this-- some kids don't seem to, but it's nice to make sure you're providing the concrete examples in some form), and then use the worksheets after the games. Best wishes.

• Like 1

I don't. They seem so expensive to print!

We have an inexpensive Epson ink jet printer and can buy incredibly cheap generic ink on Amazon. We print hundreds of pages at once and the cost is negligible. Maybe it's worth seeing if your printer has generic cartridges available or if you could find an inexpensive new printer that uses them? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00916UM0C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1