Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week26

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new/unnecessary. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

Hi, all! I'm posting from the family beach cottage. It is fun in it's own way when allllllll the in-laws are here, and alllllll the nieces and nephews are here to entertain my kids. However, it happens that our family, plus a friend for DD are the only ones here this weekend and I am NOT MINDING IT AT ALL! :D I love it here when our family is here alone.

You could say our dinner tonight was mostly free, because we steamed crabs we caught today. But it wouldn't really be true because we spend a bajillion dollars on bait and licenses and boat fuel and god-knows-what-all. ;)

This past week, I paid for a pedicure and...umm, hair maintenance suitable for bikini wear. Also had the hair (on my head) cut and colored this week.

I just downloaded a Kindle book, A Career of Evil. I have enjoyed the other Cormoran Strike series novels. That was $12.

I don't think I bought anything else out of the ordinary.

• Like 4

We FINALLY got a second bunk bed, and mattresses. It fits perfectly in their room. 

D got the beds at IKEA and I got the mattresses at Wal-Mart. I talked him down from paying twice as much for uncovered mattresses at IKEA. 

I am super excited about this. Hopefully they will be able to keep it a bit tidier now.

While at Wal-Mart, I bought some lunch food for this week, a stack of shorts for gem, Taurus, and Sagg, and some cute cloth diapers for Luna. Shorts were $3 and$5 a pair, diapers were $2 a package.

D told me when he got home that he almost bought a day bed for the office, but he "couldn't come home with a$300 impulse buy". It's the same one that I was considering putting in there! So it looks like we'll be getting a day bed in the future.

Edit: I made a hat hanger for the boys room. A piece of yarn, a packet of binder clips, and a thumb tack. It looks good, and no more hats all over everywhere. All stuff we already had.

Next up is a gallery wall made with two existing yard sticks and some clothes pins.

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 3

Hi, all! I'm posting from the family beach cottage. It is fun in it's own way when allllllll the in-laws are here, and alllllll the nieces and nephews are here to entertain my kids. However, it happens that our family, plus a friend for DD are the only ones here this weekend and I am NOT MINDING IT AT ALL! :D I love it here when our family is here alone.

You could say our dinner tonight was mostly free, because we steamed crabs we caught today. But it wouldn't really be true because we spend a bajillion dollars on bait and licenses and boat fuel and god-knows-what-all. ;)

This past week, I paid for a pedicure and...umm, hair maintenance suitable for bikini wear. Also had the hair (on my head) cut and colored this week.

I just downloaded a Kindle book, A Career of Evil. I have enjoyed the other Cormoran Strike series novels. That was $12.

I don't think I bought anything else out of the ordinary.

All of this sounds so wonderful. Enjoy your vacation!

• Like 4

Spending:  

Aldi, $72, Walmart $18, Brookshire's $40.  Picked up necessities and splurged on baby back ribs and steaks for the freezer since there was a great sale and its a holiday.  What a treat!  Fresh blueberries, cherries and ribeyes!!  

Talked myself out of coffee, ice-cream, and a host of other things.  I have an Amazon order sitting in the cart--I go every day to look at it.  LOL Waiting on a couple gift cards to come through from Swagbucks and then I will go ahead--if I still want it. 

Mindfully:  

Dried my laundry inside because I didn't feel like moving the rack outside.  Pretty lazy, but not the worst thing I've ever done.  

Painted a dresser and also fixed a drawer that got broken when we moved last November.  (Note to self: Supervise moving volunteers--do not let them throw dressers up on top.)  Hubby now has a dresser again instead of tubs of clothing against the wall. I went through it all and we trashed a few items and I folded the rest KonMari style. 

This freed up my space in the laundry room and now I can set my drying rack in there when its rainy.  

Still looking for the fuse for the microwave. Unhappy children I have.  Poor things--cold sandwiches AND an unsympathetic mother.

Used up the milk that was turning and the neglected potatoes in cooking.  I still have some mashed potatoes left and will add them to the next batch of bread.

DH is taking my car to work for a while--he needs a catalytic converter, etc to bring the truck up to emissions standards for the DFW area. As soon as we have the cash, we will take it in to fix it. Not enough of an emergency to use the emergency fund. 

DH's "free" work boots were a hit.  They fit perfectly and hopefully his feet will cease being so sore.  Such fun to surprise him.

Watched Poverty, Inc.  Takeaways include thinking about how good-intentioned Americans ruin the economies of the world by giving a hand out instead of a hand up, which led me to thinking about homeschooling and not doing kids work for them, also firmed up my resolve to not get caught in the hampster whieel of public assistance unless absolutely needed. Also firmed up my intentions for mindful simplicity and a thankful, contented spirit.  Lord have mercy, we are so wasteful and we don't even know it.

• Like 2

It's now been 18 days since dh hit the ER and we are suffering from cabin fever.  Our usual remedy is to hop in the sports car and do some fun driving, but dh isn't cleared to drive for another few weeks and he doesn't enjoy being the passenger. 

So we had two outings this week that we spent money on- dinner with friends at a restaurant in a nearby town, and seeing the Dory movie.  I'm glad dh was able to get out and do these things but the dinner was mediocre at best (though the company was excellent!), and the movie was just ok. 

The deck and bathroom projects are finished and we returned unused things we bought for those projects, so that was a plus! 

Quill, I laughed out loud at you clarifying that your haircut and color was for the hair on your head!  I'm impressed that you still wear a bikini. I'm in my mid-50's and really don't know what the appropriate swimwear is but I know for me it' not a bikini. 

• Like 4

I had an expensive week, found this buffet on a local buy sell trade fb page, got it for $175, four other people also wanted it. Trying to get rid of our piano now so I can put it in our dining room. Dh & I celebrated 21st anniversary, so went out to eat. At least I'm harvesting things from our garden & started saving some seeds recently, making more homemade seed packets today.

post-4334-0-38279900-1467549803_thumb.jpeg

post-4334-0-38279900-1467549803_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

On Monday I picked almost two gallons of blueberries. In the farm store, the last of the strawberries were available by the box. The berries were small, some sort of funky in shape, but sweet and inexpensive. Back at home I dehydrated the strawberries--something we like to add to our oatmeal. I also froze a number of zip bags of blueberries. On Tuesday I made blueberry jam.  And we have blueberry salsa to bring to a neighborhood picnic tonight.

The Purl Soho website has been one of my go-to places for craft inspiration and great tutorials. I love how they share content but I feel that I needed to support the store and site with my dollars.  Their merchandise is high priced but good quality.  I have been looking for years for linen embroidery thread and noticed the other day that Purl Soho had three types.  I decided it was time to pay them back for everything they have given to me via their free content.  So I placed an order.

I also indulged myself this week with a deep tissue massage.  I have been plagued by some sciatic issues of late and suspected that a massage would help.  I'm still a little sore but I think this was just the ticket.  I also think that I need to work on my posture in general.  It appears that I am compensating for the sciatic side by standing with my weight on the other foot which in turn leads to a slump.  You all have permission to address any comments to me with a mindful "Straighten up, Jane"!

Annie--Glad to hear that your husband is on the mend! Do you foresee any lifestyle changes after this episode?

Knox--I have not seen Poverty, Inc. but I want to say that I don't want to see public assistance condemned with a broad brush (which may not have been the case in the film). I would rather help give a hand up for many who need it then pay for greater expenses down the road.  For example, I was very grateful for the low income dental clinic that I was able to use when I was a poor grad student.  Cheaper to pay for a filling now than a crown later.  By the same token, as a taxpayer I'd rather buy someone their high blood pressure meds now than pay for long term care post-stroke later (if blood pressure not being kept in check was the root cause).  For me, this ties into mindful spending.

• Like 2

Annie--Glad to hear that your husband is on the mend! Do you foresee any lifestyle changes after this episode?

No, not really, He's had 8 stents for the past ten years and we had no idea that the stents only were expected to last 7-10 years. We celebrated the ten year anniversary in March and now we feel pretty dumb. But he's seen his cardiologist twice a year for a decade and nobody mentioned stent life. 

We've been eating heart healthy for years and walk three miles a day. He was in really good shape- stress at work is crazy, though.  But the good part is that because he was in such good shape his recovery is zipping right along.  The surgeon said to expect 8 days in the hospital after the surgery or perhaps six if he was a rock star. Yeah...he was out in 3 1/2. 

Ok...I guess there will be some lifestyle changes- one of the bypasses used a chest artery and that is supposed to last for life. The other used a leg vein and they said that lasts about 15 years. So we're definitely tightening our belts to make sure he can retire in 32 months.  I need him out of the high stress job.  We don't mind working part time in retirement but this job is killing him. Both of his heart episodes presented themselves at work during particularly stressful situations.  It's sad- he's spent 23 years there. 

But thanks for asking. Sometimes it's nice to vent. 

• Like 4

I had an expensive week, found this buffet on a local buy sell trade fb page, got it for $175, four other people also wanted it. Trying to get rid of our piano now so I can put it in our dining room. Dh & I celebrated 21st anniversary, so went out to eat. At least I'm harvesting things from our garden & started saving some seeds recently, making more homemade seed packets today.

That's beautiful!!

• Like 2

Quill, I laughed out loud at you clarifying that your haircut and color was for the hair on your head! I'm impressed that you still wear a bikini. I'm in my mid-50's and really don't know what the appropriate swimwear is but I know for me it' not a bikini.

Well, earlier this year, I was thinking perhaps my bikini days were over. I am a trim person, but...well, things do sag and wrinkle a lot more at this point in my life than they did twenty years ago. And then I have my veins that could pass for a roadmap of NYC. ;) But as I said, I'm trimmer than avarage for 45 yrs and four babies born. So, helped by the fact that I knew it would be only my family and one friend here at the beach house, I brought along my bikinis just in case I wanted to put one on. And I did! And nothing bad happened. :)

At this point, I don't really mind a compliment that goes like, "Your mom looks pretty good in a bikini for her age. Eh, I'll take it.

• Like 6

Knox--I have not seen Poverty, Inc. but I want to say that I don't want to see public assistance condemned with a broad brush (which may not have been the case in the film). I would rather help give a hand up for many who need it then pay for greater expenses down the road.  For example, I was very grateful for the low income dental clinic that I was able to use when I was a poor grad student.  Cheaper to pay for a filling now than a crown later.  By the same token, as a taxpayer I'd rather buy someone their high blood pressure meds now than pay for long term care post-stroke later (if blood pressure not being kept in check was the root cause).  For me, this ties into mindful spending.

Jane, to clarify--I don't think it condemns it.  Just that the people getting the handouts wanted to work, were smart and had great ideas, but were crippled by corrupt governmental policies and handouts from other countries that killed commerce in developing nations such as Haiti.

I am all for using welfare or SNAP if needed.  Its there for a reason. As are low-income dental and medical clinics. I think we're on the same page.  I've been grateful for the hand up that we were given by our church a few years ago.  But as much as we appreciated the money, it preserved my dignity when I could work for that money.  

But we have too many family members who try to find any excuse to go on disability or get housing help---when they are able bodied but not willing to work for less money that they can get with disability and/or selling drugs on the side or working under the table so as not to pay child support.  

There is a lot of money to be made by keeping people poor.  If you get a chance, watch it. Its pretty much, give a man a fish, he eats for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.

• Like 2

Well, earlier this year, I was thinking perhaps my bikini days were over. I am a trim person, but...well, things do sag and wrinkle a lot more at this point in my life than they did twenty years ago. And then I have my veins that could pass for a roadmap of NYC. ;) But as I said, I'm trimmer than avarage for 45 yrs and four babies born. So, helped by the fact that I knew it would be only my family and one friend here at the beach house, I brought along my bikinis just in case I wanted to put one on. And I did! And nothing bad happened. :)

At this point, I don't really mind a compliment that goes like, "Your mom looks pretty good in a bikini for her age. Eh, I'll take it.

Love your last line!

Rock the bikini!

• Like 2

Trying to remember the whole week

hmmm

We had a bit of a spend getting passports for all the kids and myself.  Dh has one.  That plus the processing fees, need birth certs, pictures, and passport fees added up.   OH well.  Now we just to to book some more international travel.  And we won't have an excuse when we see deals on stuff that we don't have the passports and how that much will add up to.

Aldi shopping 150   Dh is there now.  I am wondering what he bought.

47 bucks on Jet.com  Love this site, way better than Amazon.   I ordered at 10pm on Thursday and got it Saturday.  Great prices.  Easy to search.  Loved that the more you order of a product the lower the price goes.  Plus they have 15% off your first 3 orders.  And you get 1.5% off for paying with a debit card.

I had a giftcard that had to be used so I splurged on some foods for the family that we don't normally buy.

$30 at Walmart.com just now.  Again I had a giftcard.  I could save it but then sometimes I lose them.  Again I bought some food for the family that we don't normally splurge on.

$10 for pizza at the Farmers market.  We took a day trip to another nearby town.  Such fun.  The stand gave us 2 pizzas for the price of one since they were closing.

We could have just brought peanut butter and jelly but it was fun.  One kid said it was the best pizza they have ever had.  It was fresh made in a brick oven.

$7 for rides on an electric street car.   We got on and off so had to pay 2 times.  

Free admission to the 2 museums we went to.

And gas of course

nothing really planned for today or the 4th

Maybe hit the downtown festival for free pony rides tonight or the pool.   Free since have a membership.

4th maybe a parade or a history museum that we have a membership to

Dh saved some money by cutting hair at home 

I am hopefully selling some stuff on CL today.  Leftovers from the garage sale that was a bust.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4

We're still sorting out the kids room. Looks like we're going to need some more linens. 

D brought home some under bed storage boxes that I had mentioned off hand. Once the beds are made and the kids are over the anguish of fitted sheets, I will have them move their clothes. Woohoo! Progress!

• Like 2

Still traveling.  Last week we visited Warsaw, Poland and then Lviv, Ukraine.  We learned a lot about historical struggles and triumphs as well as the political and cultural present.  Today we visited the village where my friend's parents were born.  They had to emigrate as youths, due to danger related to Russian involvement in Ukraine & WWII.  So, I think this counts as mindful spending.  :)  Besides, a dollar goes a long way in Ukraine.  Each of my kids exchanged a dollar for about 24 Ukrainian hryvnia, and they have been budgeting their riches pretty well.  :)  A fun little educational experience.  They even got scammed, and I didn't mind them losing one hryvnia for the bit of wisdom it bought them.

We have one more city to visit, and then back home I will have some days when I can be a little relaxed.  I think I may take the kids on a road trip to some more southern cities in our state.  Not sure yet.  It won't be super expensive money-wise, but time might be an issue.  I'd like to take them to a couple of zoos and an amusement park, visit some state parks, maybe even go camping at a place I camped as a kid.  :)  We are always so busy, I'm thinking it might be now or never.

Next week after we return home, the kids have sleep-away camp.  I need to check the packing list and see if I need to buy anything.

That's about it for now.

• Like 3

Oh. I fixed my washer last night. All day, I had tried to get it to run, but it wouldn't engage. I googled the heck out of it. The closest I could find was the locking switch and/or the actuator needed to be replaced. 

I checked out the locking switch. It was caked in detergent powder. I gave it a good cleaning and bam. Fully functional washer. Hallelujah amen. 

• Like 4

Oh. I fixed my washer last night. All day, I had tried to get it to run, but it wouldn't engage. I googled the heck out of it. The closest I could find was the locking switch and/or the actuator needed to be replaced.

I checked out the locking switch. It was caked in detergent powder. I gave it a good cleaning and bam. Fully functional washer. Hallelujah amen.

Fantastic!

Still traveling.  Last week we visited Warsaw, Poland and then Lviv, Ukraine.  We learned a lot about historical struggles and triumphs as well as the political and cultural present.  Today we visited the village where my friend's parents were born.  They had to emigrate as youths, due to danger related to Russian involvement in Ukraine & WWII.  So, I think this counts as mindful spending.  :)  Besides, a dollar goes a long way in Ukraine.  Each of my kids exchanged a dollar for about 24 Ukrainian hryvnia, and they have been budgeting their riches pretty well.  :)  A fun little educational experience.  They even got scammed, and I didn't mind them losing one hryvnia for the bit of wisdom it bought them.

We have one more city to visit, and then back home I will have some days when I can be a little relaxed.  I think I may take the kids on a road trip to some more southern cities in our state.  Not sure yet.  It won't be super expensive money-wise, but time might be an issue.  I'd like to take them to a couple of zoos and an amusement park, visit some state parks, maybe even go camping at a place I camped as a kid.  :)  We are always so busy, I'm thinking it might be now or never.

Next week after we return home, the kids have sleep-away camp.  I need to check the packing list and see if I need to buy anything.

That's about it for now.

How fun.

Have a great rest of your trip.  

Hmmm maybe I should add Ukraine to our list since the dollar goes so far.  

:hurray:  :hurray:

Sold 3 school books  :hurray:  

Wish I could sell the rest.  I am think I am selling them cheap enough but so far no other interests.

Really the only spending this week was a few sale items we needed at grocery.  Oh and vehicle tags needed to renewed.  Rest of week I spent cleaning out house. We have to much junk we don't need. 

• Like 2

Thanks! It's sold & out of our house.

Yeah!  

I sold my item on CL yesterday too.  I think I should have asked more for it since I had about 20 people email me about it.  Oh well.  I should have sold it last year when it actually worked. 

Hoping another sale on CL comes through.  If I keep this up we might be able to park our cars in the garage this winter!  

I'm so sorry- we've had a month like this and it stinks.  Hope Gem is ok. 

Gem is fine. We thought he may have broken his arm, but xrays showed no breaks. He missed the town party tonight, which was a blast, but we got home just in time to watch the town fireworks from our front porch. 

Lunch at Burger King after the ER, and we popped into the grocery for an impromptu picnic dinner when I found that "food" at the party meant an ice cream truck, and concession stands selling sweets. We also grabbed some snow cones on the way out, supporting a local party rental business. Gracious, those tasted good after 4 hours partying it up in 110 degrees and bold sunshine.

• Like 2