Menu

Speaking of Apologia . . . Chemistry . . . Questions . . .

Is the Apologia Chemistry considered to be a rigorous and challenging course?

I ask because my son and I are having a tough time with it. If it's not considered to be challenging, then I don't know what we are going to do.

Back in the olden days, I was allowed to go to high school as well as college without ever stepping foot into a chemistry class, so I am of no help whatsoever and he's having a hard time.

We are only on chapter 2, and I'm thinking I need to find something else, or outsource this class, which I really cannot afford.

I've asked a couple of questions on the Apologia Chemistry Yahoo group, but the answers I received were a little on the snarky side, implying that by reading the text I should already know, but I did read it and I don't know.

*SIGH* What to do?

Has anyone else already been there and done this? Is there light at the end of the tunnel? BTW, he has had the proper math prerequisites, so that isn't the issue.

Thanks in advance!

This probably won't help you but I found it thorough and I was very happy to outsource it! My son will likely take AP Chem next year, so we'll see what kind of foundation Apologia gave. My ds' problems were usually associated with sig figs so definitely have your son memorize the rules at the very beginning.

Perhaps you could find a science-minded homeschooler that is a year or two ahead that could tutor your son through the book. I'm already looking at chemistry options for two of mine next year!

Lisa

I can't comment specifically about Apologia, but my dh is a chemistry teacher and I'm somewhat versed myself. Feel free to ask a few questions if needed, just pm. Snarky remarks would stifle me from participating in the yahoo group you mentioned. An older student tutor might be just the ticket as well.

Two children using Apologia's Chemistry this year, and they are having two different experiences so far. Dd is excelling, and ds is struggling. Since dd is math oriented and ds is not, this is not surprising.

I can't answer how rigorous the text truly is, but I took chemistry in college at UC Davis, and I'm not finding Apologia's to be easy, but then I haven't looked at chemistry in over 20 years, so I'm not sure I'm the one to ask. ;)

Hope something here is helpful.

Michele

The Teaching Company high school chemistry dvd's. They're focused on problem solving, and are not text-specific. The dvd's contain problems for the topics covered in Apologia Chem plus some things that Apologia doesn't include in the first text.

We also used both the multi-media cd and the audio-book cd (the second was primarily for my use).

Also, I made a pdf flowchart for solving stoichiometry problems. If you think it would be helpful, PM your e-mail addy and I'll send it to you. --Martha

The Teaching Company high school chemistry dvd's. They're focused on problem solving, and are not text-specific. The dvd's contain problems for the topics covered in Apologia Chem plus some things that Apologia doesn't include in the first text.

We also used both the multi-media cd and the audio-book cd (the second was primarily for my use).

Also, I made a pdf flowchart for solving stoichiometry problems. If you think it would be helpful, PM your e-mail addy and I'll send it to you. --Martha

I'm definitely going to take you up on that. You've got mail!

I happened to be at the Teaching Co. website and noticed that the high school DVDs are on sale right now. Their shipping is kind of high, but the DVDs themselves are $79.95.

I'm one, and I think Gail in VA is one--there were at least 5-6 more the last time I checked. You could post something with the subject CHEMISTRY PROBLEMS QUESTION on the curriculum or high school board, and probably get some help right away.

I agree about the Teaching Company DVD's--they sound like a great idea.

Also, you might quickly skim RS4K Level 1 chemistry and/or Science Explorer chemistry for an upper grammar/middle school level preview to get the big picture, and THEN continue with Apologia.

I've been told a number of times that the 2nd chapter is the hardest chapter in the book. It covers material that is normally at the end of a chemistry book (told to me by a high school science teacher). Wade your way through that chapter and keep on going. If you like, return to it after you finish the book and try it again.

Both of my dc struggled through Apologia Chem in their junior year stopping after about 3 chapters (for 2 very different reasons). Then they jumped back into it their senior year and flew threw the book. My son is doing a chapter a week (this is my math phobic son who never cottoned to science because of the math involved); my dd did 2 to 3 chapters a week after displaying tears over it the year before.

Go figure. Maybe maturity? I have no idea...

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc
spelling